"Non-Machineable Surcharge"

edited June 2020 in Questions 1 LikesVote Down
I recently received a package of stamps from the United States. There were two stamps on the envelope; one is a 'Forever' stamp, the other, marked as above. I checked with the USPS website, and while I think I understand the principle behind this type of stamp, I would like to know how such postage works in reality. Does the 'surcharge' stamp get added to the Forever stamp, because of the envelope size? If so,what is the surcharge?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • At present the "non-machineable surcharge" stamp has a value of 70 Cents. So this stamp covers the standard first class rate of 55 cents and has a surcharge of 15 cents added on to cover the non-machineable rate. In the United States this one stamp would be used to cover the postage cost to send a non-standard-sized envelope of one ounce or less.

The two stamps on your envelope would total $1.25 in postage. My assumption is that this would cover the $1.20 rate for up to one ounce for an international letter. Since this envelope contained merchandise, however, the sender severely underpaid the required postage rate, which varies depending upon the country to which the envelope was sent. The minimum, however, would have been in excess of $10.00.
  • Admirably concise, pellucid, factually and grammatically correct, punctuationally impeccable, and eloquent explication. You must be an old guy.
  • Uhhh, like what Doug writed - I conquer wiv wot he says, cos, like, I'm down wiv good speaking.
    Seriously Richard, your erudite and articulate explanation was extremely helpful. The letter was sent to Canada.
    Secondarily, as I've never seen this set up before, would a Forever 'Global' stamp make any difference?
  • I agree cuz I'm an English majer, so I'm not dum.
  • Doug,

You are correct, I am an old geezer (63+ years) who spent a lot of years in business answering questions from around the world, with many answers going to individuals who did not have the best grasp of English. Since the subjects covered often involved chemicals where confusion could cause severe issues to both individual safety and to the process involved, concise descriptions were required.

Robert,

An individual "Global Forever" stamp is presently valued at $1.20. My assumption is that the individual involved overpaid by 5 Cents because either they did not have a Global Forever stamp or wanted to get rid of the non-machineable surcharge stamp.
  • Thanks Richard. Are Global stamps intended for international use?
  • However. If someone is sending a single stamp to a foreign country it is required to be sent as a parcel and not just a regular envelope and the cost is at least $10.
  • Again - many thanks. Next time, if there is one, I shall be sure to ask the vendor how this stamp appeared on an envelope next to a 'Forever' stamp.I love collecting the stamps, on and off cover, which vendors use to cover mailing costs. They're a treat unto themselves, which is why I ask such questions as this, and asking for advice on how to remove these stamps from cover....
  • Without seeing an image of your cover, Robert, we can't know the sender's motive . . . but it is possible that he misunderstood the intent of the 'Non-Machinable' stamp (which I assume shows a butterfly).

If the cover was merely a two-ounce letter - for which the butterfly stamps are intended despite the confusing 'Non-Machinable' indicator - the sender probably thought the butterfly stamp was merely intended for the second ounce and added it to his Forever franking. The butterfly stamps are intended to carry a 2-ounce letter - not to be added to a Forever stamp.

However, if the sender was a philatelist and knowledgeable, the $1.25 in total franking would just slightly overpay the 2-ounce rate for a 'Large Envelope'. It would be interesting to see a scan of the entire envelope you received, if you still have it.
  • edited June 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    Dave,

The USPS has stamps that are inscribed "Two Ounce", was well as "Three Ounce", for envelopes that fall within those weight ranges. The Non-Machineable stamp is intended to cover the rate for envelopes that outside of the USPS guidelines for envelope size for regular first class rate envelopes. The envelope may weight less than one ounce, but because of its non-uniform size, requires the non-machineable rate surcharge which just happens at this time to be the same rate as for an addition ounce of weight.

If you had a non-uniform sized envelope that happened to weight 1.5 ounces, it would require the non-machineable weight surcharge (15 Cents) and also the second-ounce surcharge (also 15 Cents). If you just stuck a non-machineable rate stamp on that envelope, you would be underpaying the required postage by 15 Cents.

I just went into the USPS website, asked for the rate for a non-standard envelope weighing 1.5 ounces and got a quote of 85 Cents. That confirms the calculation of 55 Cents + 15 Cents for additional ounce + 15 Cents for odd-sized envelope.
  • Color me confused, then, Richard. The most recent Butterfly stamp is priced at 70¢, which would pay for a 2-ounce letter . . . despite being incongruously labelled 'Non Machinable Surcharge'. I presumed the original poster was referring to one of these Butterfly stamps. And he didn't mention whether the letter he received was non-uniform in size or shape.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 6.09.58 PM
  • edited June 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    Dave,

It will pay for the 2 ounce rate as long as the surcharge for the second ounce and the non-machineable surcharge rate are the same amount (which they are at present, both being 15 Cents).

But please note that there are stamps specifically sold by the USPS for the two-ounce rate, one of which is pictured below. The next time there is a rate change, the additional ounce surcharge and the non-machineable surcharge may not be the same, in which case the two stamps could not be interchanged without either over-paying or underpaying.

585904-Z0

Although you could use the following stamp to pay for the 1.5 ounce non-machineable envelope as described in my previous post:

119404-Z0
  • I do apologise for not scanning the envelope to add to this post. The stamp in question is the 'Butterfly' stamp which was next to a 'Forever' stamp. The cover itself was 4" x 8" and was mailed to me by a Hipstamp vendor.
  • Actually the postage rate for a 3 oz non machinable letter going to Canad is $1.90 (Which would be the $1.20 global forever stamp and the butterfly 2 oz non machinable rate comes to $1.90) but again this should have gone via first class parcel rate which is $12.50 USPS counter rate.
  • All my comments were based upon a mailing within the United States. I didn't want to go into the USPS website and check out the rates to Canada.

The USPS does not care what is printed on the stamp in regards to type of service. As long as there is sufficient postage value present on the mailing to cover the appropriate rate, it goes through without a problem. One can mix FOREVER stamps, NON-MACHINEABLE SURCHARGE rate stamps, older AIR MAIL stamps and the newer GLOBAL stamps, TWO OUNCE and THREE OUNCE stamps, the older stamps that have their values printed on them, SEMI-POSTAL stamps and even service inscribed stamps all on the same cover and it will go through. I have done this so I know it is possible.

I can use the service inscribed stamps as First Class postage because I have a permit to do so. The service inscribed stamps include BULK MAIL stamps, PRE-SORT stamps, etc. Again, as long as I include a sufficient number of them to cover the First Class rate, the mail goes through. The only issue is that I have to present any such mail to a clerk in person so that they can be hand-canceled.

The clerks at my post office are well aware of my postage stamp antics and are very tolerant of me in this regard. They assume that I have added the correct face value in stamps and that it covers the appropriate rate. I don't get too many comments from customers about the stamps that I use on my mail, but every once in a while someone says "Thanks!".

The stamps that can't be used on mail include but are not limited to Official, Postage Due and Certified Mail stamps. Also don't try using Duck stamps or any other type of hunting permit stamp.
  • It was for the benefit of the the OP who mentioned he was in Canada and he also asked about the Global forever stamp. If the 2 stamps were a global forever stamp and the non-machinable stamp,the total on those comes to $1.90 which is the 3 oz non machinable letter rate to Canada.
  • Thank Micheal; it seems the content, and intent, of my original post got lost in this lively discussion that followed.