Mint Hinged

How much does a hinge on a mint stamp decrease its value?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • About as much as an unfaithful divorcee? It hinges (I know, I know) on one's position about collecting in general. There are those who lament never-hingedness and put their attention on the front side, eschewing paying a premium for unblemished gum. And there are those who pragmatically follow the crowd, agreeing NH is the purest form of collecting and will likely hold the most desirability (and value) when re-marketed. Then there are those who laugh at the "mint" people arguing the legitimacy and greater affordability of postally-used stamps. But be of good courage, you could be a coin collector facing the daunting challenge of incremental condition decisions of the coins you choose, be they good, very good, fine, very fine, extra fine, uncirculated.... and a further numerical ranking within those categories, each commanding supposedly higher prices.
  • Ron meant to say 'quite a bit.'
  • There was a day in my memory where all MNH stamps became MH (an oxymoron) instantly. Otherwise the stamps would fall out of the album. Those who "back then" collected mint stamps forced "MH" on us today because hinges were the only alternative (other than licking the entire stamp and slapping it into the album). With the apperance of inexpensive stamp mounts (remember Crystal Mount???) all those hinged stamps of the past became an anathema (if I subscribed to conspiracy theories I would say it was the greedy dealers who suddenly saw hinged stamps as worth less than a used speciman). These days it seems MH (Unused) stamps seem to be valued at close to used prices.
  • Agree , big drop in value ...but only if you collect thinking “ this is an investment “...nope , it’s a hobby . Plus folks can now get items which were beyond many folks reach decades ago.
  • I personally look at a stamp like a beautiful painting, with the frame of the picture being KEY, the more balanced the border around the stamp, (centering)more enhanced the picture looks. Furthermore , the larger the border around the stamp (picture) the greater the eye appeal.
    I grew up believing the primary objective is the FRONT of the stamp, not the back. (provided it is not faulty, thin etc) HOWEVER that is NOT how the stamp market is driven.
    Full original gum , without ANY hinge markk, commands a huge premium from even an extra light barely visible hinge.
    I hope one day, the EYE APPEAL of the stamp with the stamp & not so much the gum condition(hinge mark) rules the market however if a collector spends considerable amount of money, the market demands he factor in the hinge mark, in order to protect his investment,
  • It depends on the issue. Sometimes only say 25% and other times 200|% or more.
  • 200%? Does that mean the seller has to send the buyer 100% of the price .... and the stamp?
  • no it means that nh may carry a premium of say 200% over hinged as is typical in canadian small queens and jubilees
    some issues like common ones in the 1960's are basically unsalable hinged
    there is no set rule
    some very early canada carry a big premium for having any gum at all let alone nh but should only be purchased with a certificate due to possible regumming
  • I think a stamp that is used has just as much collectablity as a mint never hinged stamp because it served the actual purpose it was made for and that is to mail a letter and was saved from the trash pile by somebody who saw a value in saving it.