Minimum Purchase Order

Hi Stampers
I am sure this request has been asked all ready, but I cannot find it. I list my stamps at 30% of SG Catalogue with a minimum of £ 0.15 (GBPounds) recently I have had some sales of single stamps at £0.15 this is not cost effective. To be able to have a minimum purchase order of maybe 3 or 4 Pound or which ever currency you use would be really good. SG have a minimum of £1.00 not sure how that would work.!!

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Cover your losses for single, minimum priced item purchases in your shipping and handling fees.
  • At times I've become irritated at getting similar small orders like that, but I fill them professionally and expediently just as if they were orders for big buck (or in your case, big quid) stamps, keeping in mind doing so may have the buyer return for a larger order.
  • I think sometimes a buyer will buy a low value item from a seller new to them to "test the waters".
    That way they can see the time and care with which orders are filled. If they are happy with your service they may well come back...just like I used to do when I was just a lad, I would walk into the local gas station and buy a pack of gum. When I got my first car, I bought my gas there.
  • My approach is similar to Michael Generali's suggestion. I just filled an order this morning for $0.55, with $1.00 s/h. While to some that s/h cost may seem excessive (especially given the ability to purchase discount postage), it covers (1) shipping costs, (2) materials, including the envelope, the glassine, the 102 card, and stiffener for inside the envelope, and (3) the base $0.30 fee PayPal charges. I account for the variable additional fee that PayPal charges, as well as the HipStamp sales fee, in my pricing structure.

Also, I second George DeKornfeld and Wayne Camolli's comments. I've had plenty of buyers who purchase one or two very low-priced stamps, and in some instances, they've come back for more. Even if they don't come back, I was able to pass along an inexpensive stamp that was of very little value to me to someone who saw more value in it, either financial or otherwise.

It should be noted that I'm in a position in life where these endeavors aren't what puts food on my table, so I'm able to pursue this without worrying about valuing the time I put into it. I know this isn't the case for others, so my approach likely doesn't make sense in all circumstances. If offering single stamps at very low prices as part of your overall offerings doesn't make financial sense, a different possibility would be to group stamps together until you hit a minimum threshold that does make sense.
  • Yes, you should ensure that each item is priced accordingly. Note that per our terms:

It is not permissible to instruct buyers that they must meet any minimum or maximum purchase requirements.
  • I believe, because I have done this too, is that some buyers are looking to fill empty spaces in their albums. They search for the stamps they need, and when they find one they want, they add it to their cart. They may not necessarily be looking at just one seller. When they find all the stamps they are looking for, they go to their cart and click on pay everybody.

I get many single stamp purchases, and I provide the same service as to someone who buys many. A sale is a sale, and a sale professionally handled by a seller can mean more sales from those buyers.
  • edited August 2020 3 LikesVote Down
    I recently had a couple of sellers complain about my former $2.50 flat rate shipping and handling fee relating to buying one stamp for 15 cents. Let me take a moment to break down what exactly the $2.50 fee does:

Purchase 15 cents, plus $2.50 S&H = $2.65 which is what buyers pay.

$2.65 - 23 cents HipStamp fee to me = $2.42
    $2.42 - 38 cents PayPal fee to me = $2.04
    $2.04 - 55 cents postage stamp = $1.49
    $1.49 - 25 cents for paper, envelope, printing ink = $1.24
    $1.24 - $1.50 for the gas driving to the post office and back = -26 cents

These purchases cost me at least 26 cents, and I never mentioned the time and effort to list the item for sale, and the time for processing the sale.

I have alot of these 15 cent sales, and now that my evaluation shows that I am losing alot of money when adding all the 15 cent sales, I had to adjust my S&H accordingly. I still charge a flat rate fee, and free shipping is offered on all purchases over $30.00. Also, since buyers outside the United States keep insisting that I ship at letter rate without a customs form, I no longer ship outside of the United States, and that decision is now permanent.
  • Whenever I get a request for shipping letter rate to non-USA customers, I just copy and paste HipStamp's own nicely detailed statement under "Help" then "General" then "General" regarding "International shipments from the USA." Even one rather nasty customer never knew that this was the law (since so many dealers use letter rate) and he apologized to me about his hurtful comment.
  • Michael, you forgot the original cost of the stamp, even though it may have been only a few cents.
  • edited August 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    I am not sure you should evaluate your business model on the profit or loss of a single order. I know that if I sell a cover for $0:30 plus $0:85 shipping then I didn't even make the deposit on a beer bottle. In the big picture I evaluate how I did at the end of the quarter and at the end of the year, If I have covered my costs and made enough to buy a beer at the local pub then I am ok with that. As a bottom feeder who sells between 5000 and 6000 covers a year on HipStamp then I like to think those covers have gone to a good home and have enhanced another persons collection. After all I think that is what really matters in the stamp collecting world!
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/michaels-covers
  • edited August 2020 3 LikesVote Down
    Michael, yes, I consider the whole rather than the individual sales. If I didn't, then I would not sell any stamps that would be priced less than $10.00.

However, my point was to show buyers who think all it takes to send a stamp they buy is a 55 cent stamp to mail it to them, that they are not taking all of the factors involved in retail activity into consideration.
  • Why are you paying that much for your paper,ink and envelopes? You should be able to get those costs down to less than 10 cents per shipment with using number #10 size business envelopes. You can get 500 security envelopes for less than $20 on Ebay. I have a Brother monchrome laser printer I got at Office Depot for about $55 dollars when it was on sale. You can get a single ream of paper for about $4 per ream at Walmart. (You don't need to use the highest grade of brightness on the invoices) You can get 2 compatible toner cartridges for under $25 and with an average coverage you should be able to get about 7,500 pages printed between the 2 cartridges. You can save yourself a bit of money over the long run.
  • And probably the most expensive cost, your HipStamp Store cost should be factored in.
  • Rod, you're right. I did not factor that in, but my post was just illustrative.

Michael, there are more costs besides the envelopes, paper and inks. Buying discount postage also helps reduce costs a little. Other costs include glassines/approval cards, tape, and more. Again, my example was just illustrative showing costs that while not exact, are pretty close estimates.

The bottom line is that unless all you sell are $5.00 and up stamps, you are either making next to nothing, or losing money (giving it all away), if you don't charge correct shipping fees. If you factor every little cent of costs, including time, then you'd probably have to sell each stamp at a minimum $10 to start making a profit. That is why so many dealers, especially the remaining brick and mortar dealers, only sell $10 and up single stamps and sets, and collections at a quick turn around (buy low and sell at a small mark up) to generate a constant revenue stream.
  • Michael,

My point on it was that on some things you can cut the costs down a bit with a few minor tweeks. And depending on your volume of sales you can save some major bucks over time. Tape,envelopes and other office supplies costs can be reduced if you can use volume break points. Also if you are shipping multiple orders in a day your cost to get it to the PO is reduced per each order. (For example,yesterday I shipped about 25 packages so using your figure per order comes to 6 cents per shipment to drive it to the PO as opposed to the $1.50 you need for the single shipment.) If you can get the number of orders per day up it changes those dynamics and the actual cost to get those orders out. That all comes out on how one is viewing these things.

On your second statement that's not quite true. I have been doing this full time for over 15 years and I don't sell ONLY $5 and above stamps. It can not be done if your mix of items are selling are mostly minimum value items. Proper and efficient
    use of your time is the biggest factor on what your average order has to be in order to make a profit.
  • Apples and oranges, move along folks, nothing to see.
  • Michael Generali,
    Most sellers do not understand what making a profit is. Many just do this for something to do to take up their time.
    Many years ago I learned that time is money and you are absolutely correct that it does not pay to sell an item under $5.00 and 50 years ago or so that was only 50 cents and everything else went into the bargain box where you could pick what you want for 2 to 5 cents apiece which is now into today's dollars is 20 to 50 cents a piece.
    Many sellers just want to make people happy so they can get their enjoyment filling in the spaces in their albums.
  • It a collector is missing just one stamp to complete a series, paying $1.00 should not be a problem. If it is, the number of sellers willing to sell for 0,15 or even 0,25 will eventually disappear and that one missing stamp will not be found.
    Francois
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/stampboutique
  • Oh right Carol, we didn't factor in the apples and oranges ......or doughnuts for that matter. Who doesn't munch during extended listing sessions?
  • philatejas - Thanks for that link. I just had a few international buyers question my shipping rates and wanted me to send the stamps for $3 like everyone does. Now I can just point them to that link.

Bob