"REPRODUCTIONS" in a HipStamp Auction!!

2»

Comments

• edited September 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    There are certified (by Royal Mail) reproductions:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293636767926

The original 1948 stamps sell for only between £2 and £4.
  • I agree that the modern computer generated reproductions and those fantasy overprint concoctions should be banned but lets not forget the "desirable" forgeries and reproductions. Sperati, Oneglia/Panelli (whose works are better than the originals) Postal Counterfeits especially on Cover, etc. There are collectors of Samuel Allen Taylor, Fournier and Spiro productions as well. In my opinion these are all legitimate collecting areas and enhance collections when properly described.
  • Not to mention the first issue of Lombardy-Venetia postal forgeries. I've been looking for one for over 40 years and have only seen them in Auction catalogs. Scott does not list them, but they are in the Austrian and Italian catalogs and listed at very big prices!
  • If it is a forgery it should be marked on that back as being a forgery otherwise it is wrong and should not be sold. That is the way it used to be years ago and anyone who is selling it with out being marked should be banned from selling on HipStamp period!!!
  • edited September 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    Good Evening/Morning to ALL of you here, after Rene's comments, I felt compelled to investigate a little deeper, I found that the Dealer in question had offered that set of Reproductions at least 5 times before hand in hipstamp Auctions !!! Searching thru the feedback file I found that the sets had made him almost him almost $200.00+ in the time he had listed them in the Auctions. I can't prove this conclusion, But it seems as if HE did this "WITH A PURPOSE", that was to make money off of collectors that didn't KNOW BETTER!! With the time in as a SELLER and his Associations, its hard for me to swallow that He did this to be "NICE" and afford collectors that could not afford the "REAL THING" a chance to "Fill in those spots in their collections." This was HIS explanation to me when I asked Him. I don't think I will be buying from him in the future , NO MATTER how good the Bargain. I do Feel in my Bones that the dealer in question did this to put money in his OWN POCKET and NOT out of a sense of FAIRPLAY to lessor monied Collectors! Just my belief!!!!
  • Just 2 things left to say on this issue , that I brought to the FORUM, 1) LUREE, It was YOUR question to me that convinced me to act. THANK YOU for the "Voice of Conscious" question.. 2) with the variables now known, or the ones I could find, His answer to me in his Email, the fact that He said they were worth between $20 & $30 dollars, and the FACT of HOW he LISTED them on HIS listing for the Auctions, giving him an out,"Well the buyers drove the PRICE", and the FACT that he was doing it KNOWINGLY for a period of time, I (personally Believe) , HE DID what he did after thinking about it and finding a way HE could do it that would cause "REASONABLE DOUBT" of his GUILT. WITH his experience and time in this AREA of Philatelics, personal Integrity is a BIG part of being successful in this Venue, and I BELIEVE he crossed over to the "DARK SIDE"!! I don't Know the dealer personally, and maybe he was doing it out of the goodness of his Heart, BUT(!!!!!) if this is the case why didn't he just list them and IDENTIFY them Clearly as REPRODUCTIONS for the purpose HE, HIMSELF stated, "TO help the newer or collectors that didn't have the means to PURCHASE the REAL ITEM???? NUFF SAID!! AND AGAIN Thanks to All of the people whom have contributed to this DISSCUSION, I have Learned so much in this FORUM, from all of you!!!! Respectively, Jeff FRAZIER, IT continues to be Enlightening and FUN!!
This discussion has been closed.