Recently acquired collection, idk what is what and id really appreciate if any one could help me?

So i recently acquired a very large collection of old and somewhat recent stamps . All have been stored neatly and are in great condition . I however know absolutely nothing about collecting. From the little ive read i have noticed there are a lot of sought after stamps within the collection. I cant find very much info other than the high dollar stamps. ( which i think i may have ?) Im not sure how to tell the differences between all of them . I am possibly interested in selling one or all. I dont know enough about them yet to determine what they are worth in the philanthropist world of collecting stamps . If any one is interested in teaching me about the hobbie i would greatly appreciate your time . Any information is welcomed. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post . ~Liz~

Comments

• 40 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Liz, the best way to learn is go to the library, if they are open now-a-days, and get a Scott's catalogue and read the front of the book. It is loaded with all sorts of information. With that being said and the majority of us on a stay at home order for the next month, watch Ted's videos of stamps and turn to the internet to read about each stamp. Or for one that you do believe is "high price", post a scan and we can help you.
  • Ok thanks. i have tried the library, but as it is with everything else its closed for the time being . You mentioned " ted's video"? Is that the name of a youtuber ?
  • I cant seem to get any picture's to upload ?
  • edited April 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Hello Elizabeth:

My first question regards your interest in the hobby: are you interested in being a collector or are you simply interested in identifying the stamps and its associated value??

If only the latter, a couple of self-help online resources i use include

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/

https://www.mysticstamp.com/-- also note their grading guidelines as the grade of the centering and condition of the stamp affects the price as well.

And there's always the APS website at www.stamps.org as well as many more on-line auction websites that give you recent market sale prices.

Once you have the ID number of the stamp(s), post them and we can better steer you to the right resources.

Hope that helps.-- Allen

• Also look for a Stamp Club in your area.
    They will help you identify your stamps.
    Bob
  • edited April 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    Do not immediately believe that a collection has "sought after" items. Now, I have no idea what your collection looks like, but the words that you used in your post, "very large", "old", "stored neatly", "great condition", are commonly used by people who do not know the hobby. Just because a stamp is "old" does not connote value. There are a large number of stamps from the 19th century that you can buy for just a few cents each. Also, the formal name of the hobby is "philately", not "philanthropy".

Many "sought after" stamps have look-alikes. The only way to tell one from the other is through proper identification. Do not gravitate to the most valuable stamp in the catalog. The odds are that you will not have it. Eliminate all the lower valued versions of a stamp first. Then you can take the next step of closer examination of a potential rare stamp.

Understand that most stamps catalog less than $10, with most of those cataloging less than $5. The actual retail value of a common stamp is much less than the catalog value.

Peruse through the listings on this site. You can search by country to help. However, remember that looking at a picture of a stamp is sometimes not positive identification, when there are different types of the same design.

Some of the responses here are throwing you into catalogs, clubs, etc. It's best to "get started" first to know what it is they are talking about. Catalogs and clubs can be intimidating to someone who doesn't know the hobby. Unfortunately, while a catalog is a powerful tool and presents much more than just numbers and pictures, a large number of people fail to take the time to learn how to properly use a catalog.

Check out this link from the American Philatelic Society that is designed for beginners:

https://stamps.org/learn/getting-started

As you "get started", who knows. Later on, maybe you will find a valuable stamp, and maybe you'll decide that you like the hobby, and will become a stamp collector too.

• edited April 2020 4 LikesVote Down
    I think you're really looking to see if you have anything of value. Here's the deal... Most serious collectors who have items of value usually don't let go of the collection randomly. A measure would be to look for example at the US section. Generally look at the pre-1900 section.As a generalization, if it's lower denomination US stamps,1-2 cents mostly ( green and red ones) , likely not of great monetary worth. Before 1880, look more closely. All values bear closer scrutiny. A seasoned collector or dealer would immediately know. Foreign stamps are a bit more tricky ,but the references given by those responding earlier are excellent.Most people in your position end up disappointed just looking for value, but every once in a GREAT while , something comes up. Now if you just want to collect for the fun of it, take your time to learn and identify. Good luck
  • 727D8E44-12AB-49D9-80E5-F019572CDA63
    I’m a beginner as well. But I have a lot of work to do. Value and rarity aren’t my concern I know any stamp of value is going to be on the postcards dated pre 1930 which helps a lot, I have so many old green benjamin franklin George Washington (red 2cent ones as well) that I’m just going for it I’m going..... to go get a huge binder.
  • As I said in my response to your other thread, be mindful that some of those post cards may be worth a good deal more than the stamps on them.
  • The value to me for the cards is much more than a dollar amount can ever give me being able to read what my ancestors wrote to one another. Postcards aside, categorization and preservation while being able to view them and share easily in a binder is my goal, but it’s hard when two stamps that are the same graphic but a lighter shade come across my path, narrowing down the year is my difficulty
  • But I am curious as well I just can’t stop looking at them
  • Another example here. The two on the left look the same to me, the one on the right looks as if intentionally less red around his face on the stamp is how I am able to determine if it’s from a different year? It’s as if an attempt to make it seem as if a backlight were on behind a photo was intentional. Or is this something that I don’t need to concern myself with?600C2D74-29A4-4706-A441-78FD2DA5472C
  • I’ve figured it out I believe. From right to left there are two different years here. I think.The way Australia was written with a dark red outline and his eyes aren’t open as much and less red around his face. Middle and left sides no dark red outline of Australia thicker font and one of them is just faded 905696F4-A93A-4A81-9EEB-9560F9FAF72E
  • You have a great eye for detail. The Scott catalogue distinguishes between #169, a Type I (1937) and #182, a Type II (1938):
    "Type I - Highlighted background. Lines around letters of Australia Postage and numerals of value.
    Type II - Background of heavy diagonal lines without the highlighted effect. No lines around letters and numerals."
    Both are minimum value stamps.
  • Thank you, i tend to pay attention to detail. Like this detail here. This stamp must have been when currency was a little different haha6657AE43-5F2B-4A8F-B5D8-A1BE9B9509E1
  • German stamps are my favorite these are all my favorite so far
  • Unused airmail stamps are these more rare than regular postage or generally something I should focus on preserving?1B2B2BE4-2064-49C6-BCB3-63DE13CCA5C5
  • Yes, prices went up so sharply in 1923 that the 400 mark stamps printed that same year had to be overprinted in black with new values (here 100,000 and 800,000 marks!).
    The group photo has three more 1923 issues. The 50 heller coat of arms is from Austria (#155, year 1916). So is the large brown stamp, which appears to be some kind of tax revenue stamp (not postage). The two Danzig stamps will be listed as such (separate from Germany); as you can maybe guess, they are airmail stamps, nos. C23 and C24 (C is the Scott prefix designating airmail). All of the postage stamps are pretty common, not sure about the revenue.
  • Not rare but it looks like most are plate number blocks and some collectors specialize in those formats.
  • Back to the USSR...or cccp that is585680EA-CF20-4FD9-9F85-16C4DF76D7C8
  • edited October 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Sadly, the US plate blocks aren't worth much more than face value. The old Russians (some of them are pre-Soviet imperial), with a few Swiss in the mix, are again mostly rather common. But nice!
  • Nederlandia plane in the back yard swimming pool 14504EBC-A451-47B3-89C8-8CD4041E8D96
  • I’m having trouble with Austria, I’m just trying to get through them all initially and get a base board going then I’ll go back through again and probably again to correct it but I’m confused now. We have cents and dollars they have kronen heller osterriechs ofteriech kruezer oh my goodness gracious new favorites though25970DD2-E786-4AFF-B549-B2EBF2F2BDBD
  • edited October 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    3E4B01A8-E5F2-420B-9698-E8EFB01659D2
    Why sideways when I edited it to be not sidewayssss
  • It gets worse 2... just 2. Two Big Macs two dodge rams two weeks ago I need to take a break!33DA696B-8310-4691-B9EE-0A9BD944C53F
  • Those last two are newspaper stamps, as are the imperforate Mercury heads in the first two Austria images. The one with the arrow piercing the post horn is a special handling stamp. In the same image there's an old German eagle stamp with a nice Osnabrück postmark. (Some people specialize in collecting cancellations.)
  • So I decided to open a letter... it’s from Governor Percival Baxter of Maine back in 1922 apparently reverend Marvin launched an unwarranted verbal assault against poor Percy only 48 hours before the primaries. Marvin that was out of hand man I really agree with Percy on this one 4E30A96C-415E-4AF6-A176-10BF633F1541
    2425054A-C5C1-4D1E-BFC6-491D47329BCD