Identifying CTOs

UNVie 113a (2)

How do you positively identify a CTO? For example, I have several UN stamps with "perfect" cancels on blocks of 4. Are they CTO?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I can't read the postmark that well, and without checking the date to be sure, I would think this is either a first day cancel (if the date makes sense for that), or else is a commemorative cancel.

To me, those are different from a run-of-the-mill CTO, which might not have a date at all (although some do), and would likely not have a slogan or other message as part of it (although I'm sure we could find some exceptions to that, too, no doubt).

An additional tell-tale sign would be full gum on the back, although that's not a requirement as well, just an indicator.
  • It looks like it is the first day cancel (don't know why I didn't check that first:)

Thanks Phil!
  • When I get something like that I call it a special cancel. I don't call those cto's.
  • It is a First Day Illustrated cancel.. It is understood the block will have OG.. best if never hinged. The SBK prices it as 16 Swiss francs. These are very Topical & popular.. Kim.. do not use the Scotts mimimum value in selling these.
  • This one, as Dan says, is a first day cancel. (Inner ring of text at bottom reads "Ersttag 15.3.1991," that is, "first day, March 15, 1991.")
  • In response to Dan's comment, what would be the best way to value them?
  • Hi Kim,
    The SBK I refered to is the Schweizer Briefmarken Katalog.. the primary (along with Zumstein) Swiss resource. Some types of material simply sells better (faster & higher price) in Europe or Asia. This is one such item Kim.. very Topical, very colorful the cancel illustrates the topic. Both the U.N. & the concept of CTO are not in much favor in the United States at the moment. I hope you will sell/ship worldwide Kim. (that has been debated at no end here in the Forums). The block you shared is from the Vienna, Austria U.N. Office in the German language.
    I have sold many of these Kim on the Delcampe Site.. from US$6. to US$10. (popularity of the Topice was my criteria) Formulate your Business Plan such & these items will be going to Taiwan or Portugual perhaps once your new store gets established. Dan