Tip for Dealers Mailing Packages

I had to go to the post office, anyway, so I took my small stamp package for over the counter service, to ship out. That 3 ounce package was $4.25. Back home, checking the shipping price through PayPal - $3.22. I won't make that mistake again.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hear ya, Ted. My customer's small package of some cheap booklets cost $5.90! Next time I'll be tempted to wallpaper the mailing with layers of 1c stamps...give it kind of a chia pet look.
  • Also, Ted, there seems to be a gap between USPS descriptions of small and large envelopes. If I'm reading things right, a 6x9 inch bubble mailer is covered, but a 7x9 inch bubble mailer falls into the gap. I haven't tried to mail a 7x9 at the post office. Instead, I have used PayPal mailing labels to send a couple of 7x9 bubble mailers. Next time I am buying bubble mailers, I'll be more careful and pick up the 6x9 that I was intending to buy in the first place.

Tom
  • edited March 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    Bubble mailers are always classified as parcels, due to the thickness. (Envelopes must be no larger than 6 1/8" x 11 1/2" x 1/4" to classify as first class letter rate.)

The rate that Ted got at the PO is the current parcel rate for a parcel up to 4 oz to zone 6. It appears that by going through Paypal they have an agreement with the USPS to get one of the discounted rates.
  • All on line mailers get a discount since you get the commercial rate. I always use my discount postage on mailings. At $4.25 even at a high 60% rate it comes to only $2.55. I have a few pads I ordered of the Label 400 from the post office for the tracking number. Customers love the used stamps.
  • How does the Label 400 work? Does it have a barcode with tracking number on it that you can affix to a first class package and then just drop in the mailbox instead of having to go to the PO?

Thanks

Bob
  • Yes, it is a label with a barcode and tracking number.

If you use stamps, instead of a meter, you can drop it in a mail box as long as it is less than a certain weight that escapes me now. If it is over that weight, then you have to present it at a postal counter.
  • Wow... not sure how I missed this! I usually weigh and then stamp up a first class package and trek to the PO to get a tracking number. Who would have thunk it!

Thanks

Bob
  • It's not new. It's been around for years.
  • I got that. Hence my comment.

Another question... when I go to the PO they enter the address and have me confirm it. Is there a way to link the address to the tracking # with this label?

Bob
  • When they enter the address they will then scan the code and ask them for the receipt so you have a record. It is best to have the 9 digit zip code on the address so it makes it easy for them to enter. I print my own labels from a form and then just copy the address to who it should be sent to.

Bill
  • Bill

Thanks for your reply. I get a receipt with the tracking # when I go to the PO and hand the package to the clerk. What I was hoping to do was apply one of the Label 400's and just drop the package in my mail box for my postman to pick up. In that case how does the scanning work?

Bob
  • The only way to be sure you get a scan is to take it to the post office. Otherwise you have to hope the your mailman scans the package. It will get scanned eventually as it goes through the system but you will have no receipt to prove that it got into the system.
  • Bill

I was thinking that was the case and very much appreciate your response. Time for a chat with my mailman.

Bob