Hinged Stamps

edited April 2021 in Chatter 3 LikesVote Down
If a vendor comments about the condition of a hinge on a stamp I would like to see a picture of the reverse of that stamp. That way the buyer can make a better informed decision. What do others think ?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I always show the front and the back of an item just like what a buyer would want to see if you were selling at a show.
  • Rick, I agree with Bill. When I first started out, I thought that I would scan the backs of the "more pricey items" and not the low priced ones. As of late, I have been scanning both front and back of listed items. I learned that it seemed that even on lower priced items, they seemed to sell better when the backs were scanned as well. It is twice the time to scan both front and back but I think it more than makes up for that in increased sales. Of course if a potential buyer asks for a scan of the back of an item that I didn't provide earlier, I will happily provide it for them but I now think it's better if they don't have to ask. As an aside, I try to take pride, as many sellers do, in the quality of the scans in any case. As a buyer, I can be a bit turned off by cell phone photos of curled up stamps sitting on a table. I think that does not in any way provide the potential buyer of properly evaluating the item of interest. Just my opinion though. Enjoy!
  • I agree to above,as an overseas seller I never list a low value stamp (except by mistake) so front & back scans are a necessity the one problem I have is with color as Quite often the colour differs because of the monitor/screen & not the scanner.
  • I can see why stamps with a front/back picture sell well. It leaves no mystery in the mind of the buyer.
  • You are asking for alot of extra work. You can always ask for a scan of the back if you wish to see one.
  • Good idea. Thanks.
  • As a buyer on HS, the gum condition is always of concern, however even regarding a scan, not always does a scan depict the actual gum condition, it is often difficult to capture it as it actually appears (any tips on getting an accurate scan of gum?). Also, it is a given that Buyers/sellers view actual gum condition differently since each has their bias as much as they may honestly try be objective. As a buyer, I often will send a message to a buyer of an item i am seriously interested in purchasing, telling seller i need additional gum clearification ,requesting that seller desribe in more detail the gum/back (if no scan provided) & I also ask if they could scan gum condition for me. Most comply, but some understandably email back that it is much work to scan gum & they are a one man operation.

Im hoping to begin selling shortly on HS & if scanning gum is too much work (im new to the selling aspect) I plan to send as message in my store that if the buyer has any question on gum condition & it is a big issue with them to please request a scan & i will at that point in time to a serious prospective buyer, provide it.

• I think that for a particular person it would be better to provide a written description - you can address gum breakers, describe hinging, freshness of stamp, any disturbances, inclusions, etc
  • Yes Carol I agrre but even with written descriptions, what is LH (light hinge), Very Light Hinge (VLH), XLH (extra light hinge), I've seen XXLH.
    Some people just say H (hinged) how extensive a hinge is that? Do they include whether it leaves a thin?
    What are gum skips, is there only one or several & wher is it, how much surface of gum does it take up?

These are so subjective.

I had a dealer not mention significant gum skips since the stamp was marked hinged , so he felt it wasnt necessary to mention the skips.

What about pencil marks on back of stamp (used & mint) should that be mentioned in listing for accuracy? (I think so)

But what about totally honest & super detailed oriented sellers that list everything even minor on the descrition? This may scare off would be buyers & so sellers that do not list these same details noting minor blemishes have an edge.

Centering speaks for itself by scan or in person for the most part whereas gum condition is tricky & seeing in person is "by far" the best way to accurately see & assess if the gum condition meets your standard.

If there is a way to scan it accurately, that would be ideal but does it exist?
  • I once had a stamp block which had a faint hinge mark. No matter what I did with the scanner I could not show it. Eventually it sold anyway. A really nice block of Canada Scott #158. The buyer was pleased and I am sorry now that I ever sold it.
  • I always show the backs of stamps. I use transparent Vario pages to hold my inventory so scanning the front and backs is really no extra effort - just flip and scan. That keeps handling of the stamps to a minimum as well.