Review of Bushire Issues/Overprints

Lee, these are probably up your alley!
Here are two Bushire Stamps I am reviewing (N3 & N9). The length of each overprint line and the form of the type appear ok. Any thoughts on these? Worth expertizing?

2021-04-10-0021

2021-04-10-0020

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The overprints look like they were applied with a rubber stamp. Not crisp at all like with typography. I would be suspicious. The Serrane Guide states that expertization is "indispensable", and comparison with a genuine overprint is necessary.
  • edited April 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    To begin with, handstamps are applied by a 'hand' holding a 'stamp'. This is then applied to a stamp for desired purpose. I am not aware of a machine appling handstamps.

Please contact M. Sadri at www.persi.com. send him an email with these scans and ask for an opinion of these. He will tell you fake or send it to him for certifications if you so desire.
    Here is some helpfull info I found on page 170 of the ICPR, by Sadri also..
    Good luck..
  • I am honored that I am known for Persian stamps. I would send them in..
  • Let's see if can help on this..
  • I posted both images to facebook in the Iran study circle page..Behruz, who certifies Persian stamps for the APS, should respond
  • Here is some info on 'handstamps' from some place called the Smithsonian...I trust their opinion....

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/exhibition/about-postal-operations-mail-processing-marking-devices/handstamps
  • Is there documentation that the overprints on the genuine issue were applied by handstamp?
  • I never said anything about a hand stamp.
  • Thanks so much for all who are responding. Expertization by M. Sadri was indeed in the plans IF I got a reasonably positive response. This was my "look-up" source:
    https://stampforgeries.com/forged-stamps-of-bushire/
  • strongly urge expertizing
  • Does it appear the first U seems to be off on these as both are connected without a space between? Interested to know what you find out Doug good luck.
  • I have just listed a Bushire N2 for sale. It has been examined by the APS Expert Committee and has been deemed to have an authentic overprint. Images of the stamp and the APS Expert Committee certificate follow:

N2-1

N2-1-APS-Certificate

Doug,

The overprint appears to match the overprints on your two stamps. On your two stamps, the first has an over-inked overprint and the second appears to be under-inked, but the letter shape and spacing still appears to match each other and also the image of the stamp shown here. Based upon this comparison, I would hazard a guess that your two stamps have authentic overprints.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/okstamps
  • I have no knowledge of the above stamps, but the overprints appear to be entirely different. Note the the placement of the O in the word Occupation, It appears start in a different position then the above expertised stamp.
  • Peter,

I assume you mean the initial "O" in Occupation? I still don't see sufficient differences between the overprints to make an opinion based just on this. I assume that these overprints were applied by an actual hand-stamp rather than in a press as the time frame that they were used was about two months and the number needed in that time by a small British contingent was probably not sufficient to warrant the production of a large number of stamps. Over-prints applied by hand can vary in inking as well as placement and angle.

And were all the over-prints applied using one stamping device or were several hand-stamps produced with differences between them? I certainly don't know.

I also just noticed a couple of glaring differences between Doug's two stamps and mine. Notice how the three lines of the over-print line up on the right side - they are totally different. Also, notice the two "cc" in Occupation. They are also not aligned the same as in my example.
  • Richard,

Yes, I see there are many differences between the two. I would be interested in hearing the answers to the questions you posed above. I await the verdict.
  • I'm with Peter V on this. They look different.
  • I noted the cc’s are very different.
  • edited May 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    After an evening thinking about this stamp's overprint, I wondered about comparing it to other stamps from Bushire.

The first place I looked was the 2020 edition of the Scott catalog. They picture the overprint three times on different stamps and there appear to be subtle differences between the three images. But these copies more closely match Doug's two copies and not mine.

The other place I looked was here on HipStamp. I did a site-wide search for Bushire and pulled up four other stamps with this overprint. Again, none matched the overprint on my stamp closely and more closely matched Doug's two stamps, but again there were differences between all of the overprints. In the descriptions of those four stamps, one had no apparent authentication while the other three claimed to either have a certificate (not shown or described) or were signed (one showed the back with two pencil scrawls on the bottom two corners).

I obtained my copy through a purchase from the APS stamp store where members can post stamps for sale. After its purchase, I immediately had it authenticated before it was mailed to me.