Increase in non-paying bidders

Has anyone else experienced an increase lately of non-paying bidders for auction items?

In the last few years I may have had 1-2 non payment claims in a year. Starting this year I have experienced non-payment by 1 or 2 people with almost every weekly auction. I am not sure what is causing this sudden increase and what can be done to stop this behaviour by certain individuals.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since I got no response I guess I am the only unlucky one. Last week I had 2 more non payments and it looks like I am about to have another one this week. So maybe I will pose the question another way. When a resolution request is opened by a Seller what does Hipstamp do with the Buyer? Do they give a warning, notification that the sale is terminated, or anything at all?

How long do Sellers generally wait until they request a resolution? Hipstamp requires 5 days minimum and I usually allow 1 week in order to clear the previous week's auction results before the next week's.

I think what is happening is that more people are browsing during COVID19 and haphazardly bidding and then just deciding they didn't really want it and not paying.
  • Hello Peter,

Hip requires buyers to make payment within 5 days of purchase or auction won unless other arrangements have been made between the buyer and seller.

Hip will also review resolution requests and take action as needed based on our Terms of Service.

If you're experiencing an unusual amount of non-payments please feel free to reach out to support@hipecommerce.com for further assistance.

Thanks!
  • Rebecca - I'm a buyer and another seller recently asked same type question maybe couple weeks ago and I looked but didn't see anything about paying within 5 day(my longest time is maybe 30 minutes because pay pal and i don"t mix). so would you mind sending me/telling me where I can see said info?? i believe you just so i have everything
  • Hello Steve - you can find this info in our Community Guidelines in our Help Center: https://help.hipecommerce.com/support/solutions/articles/14000129492-community-guidelines
  • ".. should..."?
  • Rebecca - in the "be a good buyer" section HS uses the word should - which also means whenever I get around to it - HS needs to button it up making it absolutely or ??? Suggest one rewords that part as even 5 days is a long time - if buyer is going to be gone when auction ends for a long time then just don't bid!!
  • Hi Steve, thank you for the suggestion. We will definitely review for making updates.

At this time buyers are held to 5 days and can reach out to sellers to make alternate arrangements if needed.
  • "are required to" unless arrangements have been made with the seller.
  • edited May 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    If it is "required," then you have to define consequences ("Or what?"). It'll be interesting to see if Hip wants to go there.

I think you can define the Sellers' rights to withdraw after (say) 5 days if payment isn't made. But I wouldn't be for allowing a Seller to "collect" (other than normal civil torts), such as attaching to the Buyer's next transaction or something.

Now, do you take Dogecoin? (grin)