Identify Expertizer Mark

edited June 2021 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
Is this an expertizer mark anyone recognizes? On the back of my Canada #62.

CAN0062-01XDP_02

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Doug,
    Might it be an owners mark?
    Dan
  • Possible. It presents very neatly, but that doesn't mean anything if not recognizable.
  • OK,, I did it, my fault....when people cannot read or know my signature ( which happens alot), I often tell them that it's really a Richter Scale sample. Californians understand that one.
  • So, you’re signature registers 7.2 on the Richter scale?
  • My signature on a prescription:
    images-1
  • That's also my heartbeat after 2 cups of java
  • Looks like V-Fib. Not good Ron.
  • It's the worst punctuation mark I have ever seen,,,ever.
  • I've been known to Fib, John, especially on my caffeine intake.....Local coffee shop had a sign at the register saying: "unattended children will be given an expresso and a puppy". Greg hasn't seen my polygraph punctuation ...hoo boy!
  • I bet the guy went through a whole box of wax pencils on that strip!!!!!! How would he ever get a true baseline????? I did one of those for a job interview about 40 years ago. Swore I would never do another one again and never did... Lied through through the whole thing and still didn't get the job. Bizarre.
  • Thanks Bonaparte. That was my first stop, actually. Love that resource.
  • Doug, I agree. I see these kind of marks all the time. Some turn out to be some old owners mark, some a dealers mark from years ago, a few are actual "expertizer" marks. I personally feel that whatever they are, they can add to the "story" of the stamp although some may feel they are defacements. It was most certainly a much more common practice in the early part of the 20th century than now thankfully although it might be kind of funny to see a modern US PSA forever stamp in a hundred years that has one of these on its back.
  • Haha. Greg, you just gave me an idea... Just kidding!
  • DO IT!!!! :smiley:
  • Hi Doug,

Arthur M. Hind (1922-1932, cloverleaf "AH" within seventeen-point handstamp on reverse);
    Frederick Trouton Small (1940-1970, comet handstamp on reverse; also initialed in pencil "FK" by his agent Finbar Kenny);
    Irwin Weinberg and Associates (1970-1980, pencil "IW" on reverse);
    John Eluthiere Du Pont (1980-2014, pencil "JEdP" on reverse);
    Stuart Weitzman (2014-2021, pencil drawn stiletto and initialed SW on reverse).

This is from Sotheby's presentation of the upcoming 1cent Magenta Sale. I post it only to illustrate how common it was for owners to add an owners mark. A very dated practice Dan
  • That old ugly magenta doesn’t seem to carry itself on the beauty , but rather on the provenance . I saw it once and never again will I expend time to view it except to marvel at those who crave being part of its history. But it’s just ugly . No wonder folks post graffiti on the back of it , a small super expensive toilet stall .
  • Exactly, Sr. Bravo! Either the cat dragged it in from outside, or he coughed it up! For all its provenance, it is still an ugly scrap of paper.