Shipping gifts internationally.

I ask here, because it's the easiest way to get a quick answer (without trudging through official sources).
Is a gift considered to be "merchandise"? In other words, is it OK to send a stamp internationally at the standard rate ($1.20, I think it is now) if the item is an honest-to-gosh, genuine gift?

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Great question, Doug!
  • I'm no expert on this but my 2 cents....If money doesn't change hands, then I think you're good to go. It isn't merchandise at that point. I do giveaways on HS regularly and often the winner is international and I send it at the international first class rate of $1.20. Maybe I'll get in trouble saying this but since it is a gift and something I wasn't actually compensated for and something that can't really be taxed then I think it's ok. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • Thanks, Greg. I'll await input from the official peanut gallery.
  • Just don't tell anyone about me if I'm wrong. :smiley:
  • Wow! I thought I was only six feet tall! I'm sure they will still let me smuggle stamps out of prison,,,,,won't they?? Mouse is safe though I'm sure!
  • edited June 2021 4 LikesVote Down
    Customs forms MUST be used on any goods of any value. Depending on the value and where it's sent the importing country can charge customs and duties even on gifts. International first class letter rates can ONLY include documents.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/First-Class-Mail-International

Customs Declaration

PS Form 2976 is the correct customs form for FCPIS® mailpieces and for FCMI® mailpieces that require a customs form. Customers must use an electronically-generated PS Form 2976 that transmits their customs data electronically or they must use a hardcopy PS Form 2976-R and submit it to a USPS retail clerk who will electronically generate a PS Form 2976.

To comply with these standards, mailers electronically transmit customs data by using Customs Form Online, USPS-produced Global Shipping Software (GSS), or other USPS®-approved software.

Tips

FCMI® items are not trackable. They are different than the FCPIS® items, that include delivery confirmation to select destinations.
    You must find a way to prevent the contents from falling out or being damaged during postal handling and transport if sending a FCMI® mailpiece unsealed.
    An FCMI mailpiece may not contain merchandise. It requires PS Form 2976 (Customs Declaration CN 22 - Sender’s Declaration) or PS Form 2976-R (USPS Customs Declaration Note) presented to a USPS retail service counter) only for those pieces that contain nonnegotiable documents controlled by export regulatory agencies, covered in the IMM (sec. 510-540).
    For additional information concerning documents, see IMM 123.63.
    An FCPIS mailpiece requires PS Form 2976 (Customs Declaration CN 22 - Sender’s Declaration) or PS Form 2976-R (USPS Customs Declaration Note) presented to a USPS retail service counter) when:
    It contains goods, regardless of weight.

• edited June 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I wish Bentley the Cat would stop posting on my behalf on this forum. He's always trying to get me in trouble.
  • ON the customs form there is a place where you can mark it as a gift, but the form must be filled out and it must be a gift and not a sale.
  • Thanks very much, Michael.
  • Yes, thank you!
  • Does using the customs form, even to denote a gift, make the item a parcel and not a letter?
  • Phil,

Yes it does.
  • The customs form is not what makes it a parcel, it's the fact that any items that have any type of merchandise MUST be declared and can only be sent via first class parcel rate or better. It's the CONTENTS of the mail piece that determines whether it's a parcel or first class letter.

• A simple, small, non bulky gift weighing only a few grams should not create such a fuss from governments...I'm sure the "intent" is not to impede minor gift giving among harmless philatelists. Really, Border and Custom Protection services have much bigger "fish to fry", so to speak. I think it's fine to send a gifted small stamp in a first class letter. That's not commerce.
  • Regardless it is ILLEGAL to do so. First it's smuggling goods in and out of the country and 2nd it's also defrauding the PO of what they legally are entitled to collect for their services.

Just as a reminder of Hipstamps terms

https://www.hipstamp.com/terms

Your Use of Our Services
    We grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and revocable license to use our Services - subject to the Terms and the following restrictions (in general):

Don’t Break the Law. You agree that you will not violate or circumvent any laws in connection with your use of the Services. This includes any local, state, federal, and international laws that may apply to you.

• edited June 2021 4 LikesVote Down
    Michael, respectfully , law enforcement and judicial officers use much discretion in enforcement proceedings. That's why interpretation of these "laws" requires experts with experience (attorneys). if in doubt, do not go against what your "gut" tells you. But smuggling infers a deliberate attempt to hide items which could be considered contraband or of considerable value (taxable) at the origin or destination. ( LOL, I cant believe I am engaged in this type of conversation, whether to mail a small stamp to a friend.,..this is a first.) Have a great day and enjoy the pseudo end of the pandemic.
  • So it is technically illegal, but highly unlikely that you'd get caught. Let your conscience be your guide.
    But what if the item was not a real stamp, just a sticker, say of Mickey Mouse, that you are sending to a child? Technically, it is an enclosure and it's goods, so the law would apply. But that's ridiculous, eh?
    Now, if you peel the sticker off it's backing and stick it on your letter or on your envelope, then it's not goods or an enclosure, it's part of the document.
    What if you attach a stamp to the letter? Does that make it part of the document? Well, if it's licked and sticked to the letter it would be, but what about if its in glassine and taped? It's not?
    Bottom line, regulations like this are asking to be ignored.
    PS: HipStamp rules wouldn't apply to someone sending a gift. It has nothing to do with it.
  • Just stick it to the outside as "postage"?

Sorry. Watched "Chrade" recently...
  • Rene,

Actually it is the country that the goods are being imported to that determines the lower limits of the valuation for tax purposes. Canada charges GST on imports over $20 Canadian. The UK use to charge VAT on imports over 15 LBS until earlier and the EU until July 1 charges VAT on imports of over 22 Euros. (Canada seems to think that $20 is enough to charge taxes on)

Part of the reason for using the customs forms is so the package can pass customs quickly, When a customs form is to used it can cause all kinds of problems for the person receiving the item. It can get delayed in customs while they have to wait for documentation if they request it because it had documentation in the package or on the package, they may get charged postage due as the required postage was not applied, they may have to pay extra to have it processed because the fees weren't paid to have it processed through customs., (which is part of the cost of sending it via international parcel rate.) along with possible storage fees while they are going through the process if customs chooses to go that way or the shipment could be confiscated because the customs form was not used. And that all depends on the laws of the country that the items are being shipped to.

Can you please explain what's the difference between doing so with postage stamps and shipping a set of 5 matchbox cars which you can usually get from Walmart for less than $10, only because they have to be shipped in a box and not an envelope?
  • Michael , although there is no explicit inference that good , rational customs regulations are to be ignored , the focus is on “intent”. I won’t take this conversation in the circles it may go ( don’t have that type of time ). But truly , do exactly what your conscious dictates . You are not going to get into any trouble doing that .
  • I'm so glad I'm not a seller anymore. My peeve with the current situation is not the requirement for a customs slip, but the dizzying increase in cost from sending a letter to sending a "package " that looks and weighs just like a letter. When I get a $600 shipment from Vance Auctions in Canada, that's a package, no problem. When I send a single cover to a customer in the Azores, that should be a letter. I really feel for you folks dealing today because this requirement that all merchandise be charged as a package seems a punitive measure that will only kill your international business.
  • Cappy! So,,,,you're the guy that on that dang lot on the Vance auction against me!!!! Curse You!!!! I'm kidding of course. After piddling with international (for a short time),,,,no more! Too much time and aggravation. I wish I could as I did have a few budding customers Down Under and a couple in the EU but it became just too much. I guess if the store has personnel and volume and margins that make sense to ship internationally, then good. But small sellers/one man shows kind of make international a problem unless the few customers are willing to pay a bunch more for shipping than the item is actually worth. Just my 2c.
  • Yes international sales are way down. I still get requests to lower shipping charges, but I can't. I explain the reason why I can't lower it. Some will still buy, others will pass. I feel for those buyers paying the $10.25 for shipping, but I need to charge this, otherwise I loose money. I cringe ever time I get an order for a dollar's worth of stamps from an international buyer. It's hard for me to understand why they pay it, but many apparently want/need the stamps I'm selling for their collection.
  • John E.
    There are still many sellers on HipStamp that will illegally ship for a couple of bucks internationally to satisfy the international market (presumably with HipStamp blessings) so they are satisfying the international market. I have taken the same position as you have and will occasionally ship a $1 FDC order to Europe with a $9.00 shipping charge but most international orders have dried up over the last year
    Mike