Scotts eCatalogues

I was wondering if anybody utilizes the eCatalogue for Scotts.

If so, how user friendly is it and do you really think it is worth the price?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Luree

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I did buy a one-country e-catalog several years ago. I learned that I cannot find things in the electronic version as easily as I can with the print edition, but that could just be me. Also, you can only access it with an internet connection -- there's nothing you can download. That means at, say, stamp shows, if you'd like to check the catalog for something from your phone or tablet, you'll need to be able to connect it to the web. At large stamp shows, this at least used to be a problem, as it was hard to connect without directly purchasing internet access at the convention site. (That situation may have been improved with better phones and 4G or 5G connections from phone providers.) So, all in all, my preference is still for print versions.

However, there are people who really like the electronic version. Hopefully some of them will weigh in here.
  • I use the electronic version and am content with it. I have a box full of old printed Scotts and have a hard time getting rid of them - I don't do shows and the print versions are expensive to ship. About the time I get comfortable with getting around the catalogues Scott changes something and I have to relearn my way around. One thing I do like is that I can have several volumes in different windows on the computer and can switch volumes quickly instead of juggling heavy books on my lap or desktop.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store
  • I also have a couple of the single-country catalogues. I would not want to be stuck with them as my only catalogues. For most of my work, which just entails looking up catalogue numbers, I use my 2012 print catalogues. I use the e-catalogues only for the rare occasion I want to compare a newer cv to my 2012, or when I need to look up a recent stamp issue.
    It’s not that the e-cats are terribly bad, but, as Phil mentioned, they are slow and cumbersome to use, and not terribly convenient, if your work is sprawled out on the dining table and you have to get up and go over to the computer and mess with the ecat.
    You know how a lot of Latin American countries have mixed sets — like 4 regular issues plus 2 airmail issues? Flipping back and forth between the 2 sections of the ecat is a royal pain in the neck, whereas with a print copy you put a marker at each section and you can quickly and easily go back and forth.
    Bottom line: I’m not buying any more ecats. I will just buy a few single country pages from Chirokmd each year.
  • Awesome thoughts and I do appreciate all. I do work at my desk so I'm not having to go to another room for research. And Dennis, I also have a total of 3 sets of Scotts as I can not unload the two older ones. And going to the library every day will become old quickly.

Anybody else have a thought about the eCats?
  • I love the E cats. I dont care for big book shelves, huge desks etc. I love the ability to add a note directly on the page. Etc. I pay a fair amount every month for internet, so why not use it.
    Side note: it's tough throwing old Scott cats in the dumpster, but hey, someones gotta do it..
    Lee
  • The ecats are user-friendly, allowing word and phrase searches. The printed cats have gotten quite heavy and cumbersome. So, ecats for me!
  • Luree. what Scotts do have? I am looking for something newer than 2016.
  • Hey Jerold,

I have 2008, 2011 and 2013. The '08 and '11 are just collecting dust, might have to follow Lee's idea and just let them go! The '13 is what I'm actively using with a trip to the library a little more frequently now that things have eased a little.

Thank you all for swaying me to at least get the Specialized Catalogue whenever that becomes available.

Luree
  • Since I have ceased collecting anything AFTER 2001 (USA), I stick with the older specialized catalogue. For prices , I surf ebay, hipstamp and stamp market index and often triangulate the price. I think it's purely generational, but I am so much more adroit at the printed catalogues , easy to navigate, and find items.
  • I am with Rene. I deal in older material and the price of what it is worth to some one who wants it. I did buy a set of 2017 a couple of years ago for $20.00 a volume ( old library volumes ) and it is cumbersome to use but it does the job. I had a set of 2004 on CD and it was at least broken down by countries that were easy to use but I had to run it on another computer that I downloaded it on.
    I have been selling for almost 50 years and I am just selling on line now to get rid of the "accumulation" so my sons do not have to worry about it. It gives me something to do in retirement si I don't go crazy. LOL
  • I like mine. Good for searching. Making notes on the page. Only downfall is when the internet goes out, there is no way to keep a local copy. Which where I live is a problem. Not a bad problem but I feel as though that should have gone away in the great computer reset of December 31st 1999.