Are Scott Catalogs an accurate reflection of retail prices?

Scott catalogs state their prices are based on samplings of what you might expect to pay for an item in the retail marketplace. Is this your experience at stamp stores (what's left of them) or at dealer's tables at shows? Here on the west coast, I commonly find dealers pricing at 50% or less and they offer a small fraction of scotts when buying. It's not unusual to find material on HipStamps, whether fixed price or auctions, at around 20%. This can be rather off-putting when trying to buy from a person who is unfamiliar with the real stamp market. They see a price in Scotts and may question a buyer's honesty when offering a much lower price and subsequent excuse. I notice this degree of disparity is not found in the coin-collecting realm. What are some of your thoughts on this matter?

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2016 2 LikesVote Down
    Ron,
    I find that in most cases( for me) I sell no more than 25% of Scott and thats on premium material. On common material( sets short sets ect.) I price my items somewhere between 7.5-15% depending on condition. The one exception is Scotts minimum of a $0.25 I list at a nickel-scanning ,posting ect cost a $0.05. I wont bother with a seller who thinks his common items warrant 50% or higher because I know I can find it cheaper by buying collections or larger lots then resell what I dont need.
    Coming from a brick and motor store background I learned at a very early age"It's what the market will bear" is how pricing was done-now with the internet its a whole different animal on" What the market will bear" Its more value driven and shipping that dictates price. Price your items high and your inventory languishes- see what items have and are selling for you can move inventory and still make a little $$$.
    So the answer to your question is No its only a guide to give you an idea.
    Ross
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/ross-stamps
  • I have bought many collections in the past.
    As far as pricing, I list all items at 10% of cat. If an item is very well centered the it goes for 20%..IMO Scott cat is like the police...this is what it should be worth. I just have a hard time with listing anything below 0.99usd. It's a waste of time....paper envelopes, my time..etc.
    In closing, shoot for 10% unless you have a cert or perfect condition or you just gotta have it!!!
  • I would venture to say that most collectors get into the hobby with less than a fully-informed reality regarding the Scotts list value, the range of dealers prices, the wholesale market (i.e. HipStamps), and what they might get for their stamps from a dealer. I've found few comparable collecting venues with such a large disparity. I find little consolation in the notion "think of it was a hobby not an investment" since I have gone beyond the nickel and dime level. Could I have been more pragmatic along the way and informed myself of the endgame senario of selling? Maybe so, but then my innocent indulgence as a hobby was a foolish oversight. That set aside, I do wonder what the impact would be if Scott's adjusted their values to reflect this more common experience in the collector realm. It certainly wouldn't help new catalog sales as sellers would prefer older ones. It also might inadvertently signal an omen of demise of the hobby (and, perhaps, some contagious desperation selling). As it is, this operating reality of having so many items now priced, as some have indicated at 10-20%, can also be a positive incentive to carry collections to further completion with less concern of buy/sell gap.
  • Ron,
    In the past- say pre-1985 Scotts values where more in tune to actual selling value. With the deluge of stamp material now being offered on the web medium to lower value items will continue to be a small fraction of Scotts. That being said very well centered, nice gum ect Higher value stamps often go for many times Scott, early 19th century stamps that are MNH( early collectors would soak the gum off 19th century material to keep the stamps from curling) will always demand a premium as they are quite scarce.
    Dealer buy to resale and collectors buy to collect. Before the net collectors had very few avenue's to sell or trade their duplicate's -clubs small show's and not to forget the old APS circuit books. Now almost every collector has a venue Hipstamps-Greedbay ect. therefore driving the values down.
    I also refuse to get into "Graded" 3 cent stamps and up(early graded material I can understand as a third party opinion but not the $$$ assigned to them)-just a scam to empty your wallet and mislead new or young collectors.
    Ross

• edited November 2016 5 LikesVote Down
    Scott is really caught between a rock and a hard place, in setting catalog values. In 1989, Scott adjusted all stamp values downward to reflect actual retail prices, and they caught a lot of grief from collectors and dealers alike -- from collectors, because their collections were now, suddenly, "worth" a lot less; and from dealers, because the normal practice was to sell their stamps at a certain percent off catalog values. Now the dealers would have to lower their prices further, in order to maintain the appearance of selling their stamps at a discount to Scott.

I'm sure one of the last things Scott wants to do is go through that grief all over again. Besides, it would not be productive to the hobby to do so, as it creates a vicious cycle that results in a race to the bottom.

To illustrate: I'm sure you have seen ridiculously low prices by some dealers on Amazon. Some of this is attributable to the fact that some dealers can afford to put a nominal price of 1 cent on a paperback or CD, and make their profit on the difference between their actual shipping cost and the amount that Amazon charges (you notice you never see "combined shipping" for these low-priced items).

However, many other products can be found with incredibly low prices (say, an item that would reasonably be priced at $20, but found for 12 or 13 dollars from multiple dealers). What's going on here is that Amazon offers 3rd party dealers a feature called "Match Low Price." This is how it is described on Amazon:

"Match Low Price
    The Match Low Price feature helps you to quickly and easily match the current lowest prices on Amazon.com for the products you offer. "Current lowest price" is based on your Low Price Comparison preferences in Manage Inventory."

What happens when one of the Low Price dealers sees that he is no longer the single lowest price? He lowers his price further. But, then, Amazon's MLP feature lowers everybody else's prices automatically again. A vicious cycle.

Rather than get caught up in this game of ever downward spiraling values, it is best to keep values unchanged except as dictated by an actual change in the market price, and for collectors to realize that there are several tiers of values for any stamp, with the catalog value being at the top, and going downward through retail, discount, wholesale, and dealer buy prices. That doesn't make the catalog useless for valuing stamps, it simply means that collectors and dealers need to understand that Scott Catalog values are merely a reference point, and they need to familiarize themselves with the various discounts that normally apply to stamps based on all the factors, grade, condition, rarity, etc.

Ted
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/tatyszka-stamps
  • I appreciate what Ross and Ted have added to the discussion-valid observations. By way of inquiry, I extend the question as to if there is something particular about stamps as a collective that causes this great of a disparity; such that, say, a cousin hobby of coin collecting doesn't share? In that arena, a more transparent price structure is evident, namely a retail redbook, dealers varying prices, a biweekly greysheet (loosely dealers ask/sell prices between dealers), and a bluebook suggesting typical dealer buy prices- all so much more upfront. Admittedly, in my earlier collecting days, I paid prices to dealers when they were selling closer to Scott's values. Only a fortuitous quirk of choosing really well-centered NH material (then with no premium) has offset some loss or even provided occasional profit. That, and acquiring many collections and accumulations along the way at seller-agreed-to cheap prices, which now affords opportunity to recover and even prosper financially. But Scott is no friend when a non-collector inherits stamps, wants to sell them, and spends hours at the library and comes up with the "value" of their holdings. Even great tact in educating that seller to market reality can still offend them and cause them to cast suspicion and untrusting feelings when offered a perceived low, low-ball amount. Woe to the first bubble popper. That seller may find it confirmed by other buyers but seldom comes back saying "guess you were right" -they have quietly, resignedly already sold their stamps to a subsequent buyer or put them back in their closet in protest. That's where I am most bothered by Scotts unintended yet easily inferred, erroneous value. Caveats are not absent, i.e.: counterfeits abound, prices are for VF, pen cancels sell for less, etc but nothing addressing the reality "you may expect to receive far, far less when you sell than these listed". Ok , point beaten to death, rant over.
  • Ron,
    As far as coins go I can still clearly remember as a kid 13/14 years old people bringing bags of silver coin's still sealed from the mint into our store and being bought of a percentage of smelt price. Every day the cut off time for "Today's" price was 3 pm. We would load up the silver and off to the smelter we would go. I can only imaging that from 1974 to 1981 our little store destroyed several tons of coin silver. If you can remember the Hunt family tried to take over the silver market driving the price up to $60.00 and ounce. How many silver coins do you think where melted down- tons upon tons from all over the world then "Crash" back down to $9.00.
    This period is what has created some todays market and also helped to establish a stronger coin market. How long has it been scene you got a silver dime or quarter in pocket change.
    I dont believe that there has ever been a period where stamps have been destroyed for monetary gain except 1. When Author Hind purchased the second rare 1 cent Magenta Br. Guyana in the 1920's and then destroyed it. But this to is a rumor.
    Ross
  • Coins may indeed be a different animal in that some have a secondary intrinsic metal value. It's kind of turned the hobby on end where once one could find a majority washington quarters in circulation and fill out one's collection cheaply and reversibly. Now that pre-1965 copies go for 13 x face or more, casual collecting has gone by the wayside. I'm discovering working on my car is no longer the rewarding experience it once was too. Such is life. Tomatoes seem to still obey growing procedures in my garden...at least for now
  • Ron,
    That too may be changing. I live in the Chicago area and last week I finally got the last ripe tomato off the vine be it only a cherry tomato it was my first November tomato.
    Ross
  • edited November 2016 3 LikesVote Down
    Hello all, Many points have been brought up. But for dealers who have been around for a while, check there feed back, etc. Check what they are selling. I see many prices at face value, but that DOES NOT INCLUDE the elusive and older stamps. ( how many were made etc.) And yes there are a few of the rarer varieties. And how much do you really want it? If it is a must have, you will likely pay more if the stamp fits your standards. Just what do you really want? A stamp to resell, a gift, OR a great stamp for your collection? Which reminds me I am selling out so maybe you want to check my store, and if you don't agree with my price, just ask if I will come down to a point we both agree on. https://www.hipstamp.com/store/Gramps-store
  • I don't think that there is a "one size fits all" answer to this question. US material from 1936 to 1990 has a default catalog value of $0.25 each. This material you can buy everywhere as kiloware, but how about certain types of cancellations? I know that you will find items in my store from this era with standard cancellations, but the majority of this material I listed with circular cancels, slogan cancels, precancels, and perfins. These particular items are not kiloware in my book, and my prices reflect it. One comment, "whatever the market will bear" shows my point -- I am very successful selling these items at 60-80% of the whopping $0.25 catalog value.

Even items going into 2015 still have this catalog value! My question here is this: how much of this material is even used as postage? I am having a horrible time finding this material (I have a circular and slogan cancel collection) and am happy to buy any items I find at 150% catalog.

I came across various sets of small sheets that were broken down and used as postage (example Wild West or Civil War). In general collectors bought the sheets and put them in their collections. Today's experience in buying postage at the post office is this, I go in, ask for stamps, and the tellers go straight to the definitives in rolls or booklets. They don't even offer commemoratives unless you ask for them.

Better material going for 15-20% of catalog. I don't think that this is realistic in many situations either. How about US 85A or 85F, do you think that you can buy them at 20%? More likely at 120%! Even a decent Columbian $5 MH you cannot find under 50% -- most are around 70-80%.
  • Interesting discussion which essentially comes down to simple supply and demand. Most start collecting as a hobby and some grow a collection worthy of an investment. Stamps have a very good rate of return on the much higher valued rare issues only outpaced by art if I recall correctly. Some of the large sellers on Ebay seem to have unlimited inventory and they are willing to do auctions starting from nothing because they have a good following. Usually their auctions command fair market prices. The most demand I have seen still comes from quality China stamps where prices can easily exceed Scott's.
  • I decided to go to Scott online and paid for the Australia 2017 Catalog.
    When reading how the values were calculated they were all valued at VF, which is Very Fine.
    So the, paid for by me, Scott 2017 Australia Catalog, finishes at Christmas 2015.
    So no 2016 Cat numbers.
    Question IS ?
    Why is a Scott value(RETAIL) the be all and end all of value. I have no idea.
    I then went to EzStamp, purchased the British Commonwealth database, $canadian 145-00.
    They have access rights to Scott numbers(values as well ?), otherwise I would not have purchased it, I am in Australia and thought this would be the answer to end all answers.
    Guess what ?
    You tell me.
    Sam
  • Ron,
    your original question to the Forum
    "Are Scott Catalogs an accurate reflection of retail prices?"
    The answer is NO
  • "Why is a Scott value(RETAIL) the be all and end all of value. I have no idea."

I have never -- ever -- heard anyone say it is.
  • Hi Ted, me either.
    So your interpretation of LISTED Scott #'s Retail/Value is ?
  • Ted,
    Just been through my retailers here in Australia.
    This mob is fairly big here.
    Have a look, can't do any harm, worth going through.
    http://stampsaustralia.com.au/index.php
    Some perspective from me, US stamps are not my thing.
    Plenty of US on HipStamp, but there is much more out there.
    check out the above Australian Retailer site
    Respectfully Sam
  • Just read some of the comments here on this thread. Has anyone taken a look at www.stampfinder.com stamp evaluator? I think they are still in the building stage but they list retail prices in a more reasonable condition of F-VF with Mint NH, Mint (H) and Used Prices.
  • Harry, yes stampfinder is a good site.
    The more information one absorbs the better, a seller/collector acquaintance here(Oz) has a saying "Knowledge is power".
    Here in "The Land Downunder", from about the year 2000 and on, a fine used can bring the same price as a MNH.
    Why, because new issue stamps rarely get used these days, a printed label is the norm.
    The Catalog makers, all of them, need to understand, MNH can be ordered from all the postal authorities all over the world.
    Fine used is harder to find to make complete sets 2013-2016, some of the cancellations are horrible obliteration's.
    Finding a Miniature Sheet/Souvenir Sheet postal genuine used, it has to be harder to get than MNH, and therefore in my book, has a higher value than MNH, that's my thoughts.
  • Hello Samuel,
    I totally agree with you on modern F-VF used stamps being scarcer than their MNH brethren (for the most part). I haven't actually looked at modern SSs in the catalogues lately but if I recall correctly they are close to the MNH prices. On a similar note weren't you all down under responsible for the Used NH craze back in the 90's, Is that still going on?
  • Thanks for checking out our Classic Stamp Evaluator, Harry. You're right, we are still in the building phase but are adding items everyday including revenue stamps, telegraph stamps, as well as stamps with errors and variations overlooked in the major catalogs. We soon hope to have twice as many entries on StampFinder than major catalogs.
  • Hi Harry, no, it was the MNH craze.
    Speculators purchased new issues by the sheet, me included. Prices went mad, then we all got burnt badly.
    Late 1980's, early 1990's. I have heaps of them somewhere.
    I was buying Late 1980's, early 1990's FDC's at 30% of face(from Dealers) in the early 1990's, cutting them up and selling them as used sets, thematic/topical collectors liked them, birds, trains, butterflies etc.
    In Australia a FDC can be purchased and sent through the mail, since Official Australia Post FDC's appeared in 1970 to today.
    What has become hard to find is solo [DECIMAL] usage of the high values on cover from this period, Late 1980's, early 1990's, that naturally went overseas, I stress correct DECIMAL SOLO usage. And if the post mark is within the issuing dates of the stamp it will bring a premium, sometimes $100 to $150 for a 70cent stamp.
    But that's here in Oz.
    For myself I have purchased a heap of CTO set's, sheets, with full gum, why, because to get pristine used set's from 2010 onward is a hard call.
    Sam

• Hi Buyers/Sellers. I just discovered this very interesting Thread from you all of a few years past. Thank you all, much. Most of which I agree with, from what I've learned over the years of collecting, mostly by trial and errors. I'm mostly a collector; meanwhile, I learn a great deal concerning the 'art' of collecting by asking questions from my favorite Sellers Worldwide. As well, I seek out second opinions from others. I'm a senior/elder Philatelist & numismatic. Also, I collect classic comic books, baseball, basketball and football cards, sweet silver snowflake nuggets (that's what I like to call them) and small gold nuggets, (that is when I have just a little extra money in my pocket, from time to time.) Again, I want to thank you all for your input, supporting our "Wonderful World of Collecting." Tony. Seattle, USAmen. Post Script> I sure wish everything in our World was not all about 'the all-mighty U.S. dollar.'
  • edited July 2021 3 LikesVote Down
    I only use Scotts for identification, NEVER value or cost.
  • I know I'm very late to the table on this discussion, but I think this question will come up over and over again, so I'd like to offer a different perspective here.

First, there are different "levels" to collection. While this isn't an area hard defined I will give my thoughts.

First, the new collector. Everyone had to be new at some point. And we generally start as new collectors at a young age. I find most collectors start either late in primary school, to early high school, often prompted by some other activity, like scouting or a school activity. This gets you started. Collection is fascinating at this stage, and is almost cost free. You quickly enlist your neighbors for stamps that you can have off their envelopes and cut or tear them away from the cover. you end up with a big pile of them, and they you learn to "soak" or "steam" them off, so you can arrange them in either specific books (modern day albums) or even just similar to scrap booking. This "new" collector phase may last for 2 or 3 years and if you get past it (and often times that will come even decades later), then you move on to the next level of collector.

Next comes the focused collector. By now you've either decided to "collect the world", or focus on some typical collection (like fish, or animals, or even just commemoratives). You may have settled on one country, or even one period of time in a country (Like 1930 to 2020). Usually this will be in line with the attainability of your financial capacity. You may decide to focus only on used or only on unused stamps. But the overall budget will still be relatively small. (A few hundred dollars a year or less). Plus the cost of your collecting supplies (we soon find that "mounts" are costly, and the books to put them in even more so, especially if you go with specialized pages, like Harris albums, or Scott albums for example). This area becomes just tricky enough that all it takes is one shady dealer to really put people off collecting. But hopefully you make it through this. This period could be as far as you go, and may continue the rest of your life. No criticism or judgement about what level you want to invest. And hey, you can learn a lot about some of the more scarce items, and go looking for them at estate sales, yard sales, even in old books in libraries! (One of the greatest rarities in US philatelics was found in a library book in Indianapolis -- multiple Scott #2 on cover. So the hunt is where it's at.

Then enters the intermediate collectors. This happens usually around 30ish where the school loans are paid, a good job at hand, and starting to make a little more disposable income, and you come across that dusty album on the shelf... start turning through it and go "WOW, I remember that Columbus series... (or whatever favorites you liked to star at in the missing holes in the album). And the next thing you know, you're discovering that "dealers" have moved on line, and there are places like Hipstamp and eBay and you might even find the local collecting club, or sign up for APS on line. You start to dig around and think $100 for a stamp isn't to bad, and you start to discover a new realm of stamps that had previously been out of reach (or at least not a priority). This is where it starts to get dangerous. Because in the previous "layers", there wasn't a lot at stake in terms of really getting ripped off. But start to enter into the $50+ range (not saying people don't try to scam for less, but this is where it really starts to hurt), and "collecting" begins to be more a mine field. You MUST educate yourself more fully here. (And cert's aren't everything either... and costly, sometimes paying more for the cert than the material in great disappointment). At the intermediate level, you need to begin to be more attentive, more learned about the material you approach. There can be some real hidden gems here too! But you have to be very careful. Take the time to read some books, more than just flicking through a Scott catalog. (And at this point, if you're collecting US, by all means buy a Scott Specialized Catalog of United States Stamps and Covers.) And get on forums, and talk to people, ask questions, find experts (who know their limitations), and learn form them. This will make it more enjoyable, and from time to time, you'll hit the "jackpot" with an item. This is great fun. You'll also start to focus more on "centering" than just "do I have that in my collection".

Advanced collectors come next, and this one starts to enter into a field where you are becoming one of those experts. You know more than the average bear about stamps, and you are starting to recognize a lot of the subtleties, even if you don't "collect" Washington-Franklins, you know that there are valuable ones there, and you may have figured out how to spot a few. You're likely now up to speed on all the "early" US classics, the nuance of the 1851 and 1857, the difference between American Bank Note, Continental Bank Note and National Bank Note (at least where secret marks are concerned, but some papers and colors might still be tricky). Upping your spend to $500 or even $1000 for a single stamp may not be second thought. But advanced collecting doesn't HAVE to be about high value either. It can also be a very specialized or topical collection. (I met a guy who only collects used multiples with maps on them... crazy theme, but I happened to have one, and he bought it for $9 -- full used souvenir sheet of the Byrd Expedition). But advanced collectors KNOW their area.

Lastly, there is what I would call the "Investment Collector". This is a tricky area, which requires DEEP pockets, (or luck) and a lot of patience (and time to build if you're starting with not so deep pockets). Investment collecting is just what it sounds like. These stamps are rarities (I define a stamp as "rare" when it reaches a minimum value of $10,000 so it's possible to be rare in one condition (like the $11,000 used 39) but not in another condition (like the $3,000 MNH 39). Not all investment grade stamps have to be thousands of dollars, but they DO have to be pristine.

Now, how does all this relate to Scott catalog, and retail values of stamps. Scott is one source. In the "investment grade" world, Stamp Market Quarterly (SMQ) is more often quoted for the real value of a stamp of that condition. So many of the stamps you see for sale on eBay are NOT VF centered (and this is what Scott catalog's "Catalog value" is based on). If you have the Specialized Catalog, there are a section of pages in the center with yellow edges. This gives you the range for classic stamps valued in their proper GRADE. The grading was introduced originally by the PSE (Philatelic Stamp Expertizers) but has been adopted by all the stamp grading services (APS, PF, PSAG, Weiss, and a few other private expertizers). The reason you see 20% of CV being sold on eBay is because these stamps don't grade at VF or higher. (The ones that do, are the ones that are generally worth getting certed). You will note that stamps with certs that reflect "Sound and genuine in all respects" mean the stamp is sound (no faults, no creases, no pin holes, no tears, no stains, etc). And if they are graded (Minimum 80 for VF and sound) THEN they are equal to the Scott catalog value mentioned for that stamp in the catalog. (In the specialized catalog, those yellow pages give values for VG, F, F-VF, VF, VF-XF, XF, XF-SUP and SUP where SUP is a grade from 98 - 100, and these stamps demand enormous values over the "CV".

This brings me to my last point. If the stamp is of incredible quality (or even if it's just a little valuable) utilize the Siegel Power Search. Go in there, put the Scott # into the "Catalog value equals" and click search. You can see what the stamps of all conditions ever sold by Seigel are worth.
  • edited July 2021 5 LikesVote Down
    Scott catalogues, as well as all the other catalogues are not a good indicator of true value. "True value" means the immediate, today.

Scott catalogue values are not updated by thoroughly reviewing number by number each year. Sometimes countries languish with old catalogue values for many years or more. In addition, the 2022 year date catalogues are coming out now in 2021. The catalogue year, set in the future, does not match the values for 2022, which hasn't arrived yet. The reviews that were done for the revised catalogue values for the 2022 year set were completed starting in 2020. So, if you go by simply the year of catalogue issue, the values are at least one year or more out of date upon catalogue publication. By the time 2022 comes around, the values will be upwards of three years out of date.

Catalogue values are out of date estimates at best, and act only as a guide to those buying and selling. They have no true value.
  • What happened to your big plan to buy SCOTT and make everything right in the world once again?

It's past time, Michael, and we're all anxiously waiting. :smiley:
  • Dave, I am humbly sorry for letting everyone down regarding this matter. Discussions with Scott broke down a few years ago. We just couldn't come to terms.
  • I guess they insisted on a clause that you would not rename it the Generali Catalogue?
  • Well, I can't call it the Michael Catalogue either. Michel wouldn't be happy with that!