Scanner Recommendations

I want to upgrade my scanner as my current scanner does a great job, but I know it can be better.

What is an effective, efficient scanner in your opinion? I've read Epson is good? It would be good if the scanner had software that could automate some actions like "cropping" on multiple stamps on one image then you can save each cropped image as a specific file name. I currently do this all manually front and back. It's tedious and I'm sure there is a better way. I've been selling stamps for almost 2 years so still a newbie i think. Appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Clint

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Standalone image bursting program - been using it for several years

http://drakeserver.com/
  • I second Carol's suggestion. I've been using that software for years, and can't imagine trying to do that manually.

Regarding the scanner, I think there are a number of good, reasonably-priced options out there. If you are happy with the quality of the scans you are currently getting, and are just looking for a better way to split out images, the link Carol suggested is my recommendation. No need to replace the scanner.
  • I agree, Jason Drake's StampBurst program is the way to go. Here's his web page http://www.drakeserver.com/
    The problem I've found with auto-cropping scanners is that they will crop too close to the stamp images, usually even cutting off perf tips, which makes the images unsuitable for use in sales listings.
  • This is an old thread, but I am trying to install the drake software. I am fairly tech savvy and I'm getting just a cmd screen for a second and nothing else when I try to install. I have Java 8 and I've added www.drakeserver.com to the exception list. Any ideas on what to try is appreciated.

Are there other tools that do the same thing? I can't keep cropping front and back manually.

Thanks,
    Clint
  • Clint, I recently had a long back and forth email exchange with Jason Drake when my stamp bursting app would no longer launch. I ended up downloading his new version and everything's groovy now. If you can give me your email address I will forward to you his email with the download link and instructions for the new app.
  • I tried it...but it couldnt get past my JAVA settings
  • Ted, will his new version work with Win 10. I'm using an old version on both my Win 7 and my Mac but remember that it wouldn't work with my Win 10 (pretty sure). I had trouble making an exception and just punch through the warning now on both. but it would be handy to use on my Win 10 to avoid the zip drive hassle.
  • For scanner I can recommend the cabin P215II. If you use a clean plastic holder, can scan front and back in a single pass. It's compact and scans at 600dpi. See my listings for example.

Not that wine we're also scanned with the P298II it's previous version. Also good.
  • Carol, yes, I am using it on Win10.
  • Why in the world would you release this as a .jnlp
    I mean, I'm a very savvy user (and programmer to boot), and this is just extensive just to get an app that crops... painful. I see why it doesn't get used much.
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I coughed up the money for EZImage Pro. It does want I need to do cropping multiple stamps from one scan. This is going to save me a lot of time. I could not get the other apps I tried to do the same thing. The germanstamps.com app is really good if you have one stamp per scan or want to clean-up/crop multiple stamps in one folder.
  • Wow, I don't know if their "Pro" version is better than their Demo, 'cause the Demo is unusable...
  • I use EZImage Pro all the time. Great tool but a little pricey IMHO
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    The price didn't scare me but their demo was unusable.
  • At first I couldn't use the demo due to an error. You probably covered this, but if running in Windows you have to right click on the executable and select run as adminstrator. Not sure why this is as I'm logged in as adminstrator already. Not sure I've seen this with another app, but it does what I need it to do so it's all good.
  • Clint,
    Yeah, it ran, but the buttons were without image or icon, you have to hover over them for a tool tip to come up to find out what they do, and even then that was pretty sketchy. It looks like an application developed in VB in 1990, and probably was... they haven't put much in it to keep it up to date. But aside from that, with those issues, and menus blank, it was just unustable.