If You Hate Fun Silly Chatter, Skip This Thread

Comments

• When scientists became the oracles of truth
  • That too....hey wait,,,,I'm a scientist!!!! Not really, I'm a geologist. :smiley:
  • I almost followed that field in college. Have you ever challenged aspects of the geological dogma du jour?
  • 25 years plus of turning to the right and making hole. Not quite sure which, of many, dogmas du jour you refer to though. I challenge everything and everyone typic
  • Ideas bucking, say, uniformitarianism (ie:Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision) or Grand Canyon carved out by torrents of water over a much shorter time? Arguments over long ages (rates of salinization, our sun's consumption extrapolated backwards)? Or considering the merit of proposals that go against current conventional thought? I agree with your mindset of skepticism but open (that second part is often missing - we all like to imagine we are still teachable)
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    We have to careful here .... of drifting off silly/fun topic. So let me interject a Larson comic inwhich two cannibals were sitting around eating by a large stew pot, with a clown costume laying on the ground. The one asked the other "Does this taste funny to you?" Oh, it's time for my warm milk and cookies, night night
  • Two other cannibals over dinner.

"You know, I never did like your mother-in-law."

"That's ok. Try the pasta."
  • Oh, I remember remember reading about Velikovsky's theories as a kid when Carl Sagan and crew were debunking them. Then I read a interesting novel by James Hogan about 20 years ago that made me evaluate them in a new light.
  • Two cannibals are finished cooking the missionary in the big, black kettle and are sitting down to dine. They decide that one of them will start at the head and the other at the feet. One says to the other "Lets take our time and really enjoy this meal since missionary is such a rare treat." So they have at it, and after a while, the cannibal at the head asks his friend how he's doing. His friend yells out "I'm having a ball!" "You SOAB!" the first one yells back, "I told you not to eat so fast!"
  • Whoo boy!
  • I've been doing some recent research on a new ancient discovery. Apparently, the great Paragraphian Empire was followed shortly by a little known, lost civilization called Geographia. It was lost because all the map makers were determined to be morons by the idiots who were running the show and didn't have a clue as to where anything was,,,,so they were, literally, a lost empire. They quickly renamed their empire, Wheretheheckarewe-a. That didn't catch on so they remained lost. Duh.
  • I think I will sort that bag-o-stamps I got in Chi town using an Ubi map.
  • I was wondering how one knows they are in the middle of nowhere?
  • They see no wares around them
  • Those morons clearly didn't. They were all sacked by the rise of the National Geographian Party, who subscribed, seemingly endlessly, to a platform of Geographian superiority. Their motto was "Once we all are subscribed to our platform, we will never let them go!"
  • I visited the National Geographic society HQ in DC waaayyy back in 79.
    The globe was perfect....WHHHHHOOOWWWW Hoooooo!!!

And come to think of it .....we ate at Trader Vics!I
    I was too young for Pina Coladas
  • hahahaha!
  • I was walking past a farm and a sign said "Duck, eggs."

I thought, "that's an unnecessary comma - and then it hit me."
  • Ha Ha!!! The yoke was on YOU.

I'm going to egg-ercise a bit of poetic license with the Simpsons Axiom here...
  • It's just a darn shame how any legitimate posts we do, seem to generate so fewer responses
  • Here's something you all can take pot shots at. :smile:
  • Nice trip!
  • Ha-ha! Is that what it takes. I've still got mine.
  • My table of contents is removed every mealtime. Maybe that's my problem.
  • And now its Readers Digest. Just when we start to comprehend our multi-talented Ted, he reveals another facet. Well done señor.
  • Reader's Digestion??? Burp! Roughage and fiber, good for you, good for me!