Can someone help me identify this stamp

I was visiting a friend whose son had inherited a collection of world stamps, mostly in stock books. I was stumped when I saw this item. The cancellation looks Arabic, the image in the middle is obscured, except the the number '6' on the corners, not much else to go on. I think its middle eastern.

IMG_E8131

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It appears to be Austria P16, a newspaper stamp issued in 1908
  • It's an Austrian Newspaper stamp from 1908.
    However, this may be a forgery. The original stamp is perforated 11 1/2, this is imperforate...
  • Awesome. I am impressed guys. With your information I was able to find a similar stamp without the obscuring cancellation

Again thank you
  • I will backtrack that statement partially. There are imperf versions of this stamp as well.
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    P16 was issued imperforate, as were all the Austria newspaper stamps (Military stamps excluded). (This image from 2007 Scott WW Classical)
    Austria P16
  • Glad I got that comment in before you dinged me Ted. ><
  • Where do you find perfed stamps listed. I don't see them in Scott.
  • The Michel Austria specialized catalog has the 1908 issue (the stamp on the left) listed with separate prices for the three paper types.

The following statement, in German (which I don't understand) says "Privatzahnungen auf Schleife 3fache Preise." I believe this translates as "Private perforations are three times the price." when compared to their imperforate listings.

This statement follows the 1916 listing (the stamp on the right):

"Privat gezahnt () auf Schleife oder Zeitung 50% Zuschlag." No sure how to translate this statement. I substituted the two parentheses symbols for the "used" symbol in their statement.

My catalog is a 1998 edition, so pricing is still in German Marks and completely out of date. The mint and especially the mint never hinged prices are much higher than the used prices, with some of the paper types for the first issue fairly high in price.

• It's also in the footnote of your listing there ted "They exist privately perforated".
  • Richard: Schleife means wrapper
  • Don: As For the Cancel it is a Common Vienna Postmark WIEN = Vienna.
    any opinions on the percentage of fakes with these newpaper stamps? and the salability of them if real? I ask as i have run across a lot of the private perfs, part perfs. and other varieties. intriguing stamps. Many of them wind up in cinderella lots as not listed in scott sometimes
  • "Privat gezahnt () auf Schleife oder Zeitung 50% Zuschlag = Privately perforated () on wrapper or newspaper 50% additional valuation.
  • It's not a high value stamp, so the probability of forgeries seems low. Material gets forged (or faked) when the real items cost too much. They get counterfeited when they are intended to be used as their intended use (i.e. postal counterfeits).
  • True, but there were quite large numbers of relatively low value forgeries produced for the early packet trade too. Just a numbers game back then.
    Thanks guys. not sure if this is cool but another few Austria items that need ID.. :-) as i have not a clue? the pic was taken with a phone camera i think- so yellowish- should be black and white mnh? s-l1600
    Left one is Gibbons 1518, middle is Gibbons 1519 right is 1524. But, these are all imperforate, and the middle is a multi-color stamp.
    Most likely I would say they are plate or trial color proofs. Don't know much about Austrian proofs...
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Thanks Scott! that helps - so 1968- helps a lot
  • Jerry They are Black Proofs, Michel Austria Specialized Catalogue Lists Them Under Schwarzenproof ( Probably misspelled).
  • "Black proofs", that's an interesting concept. At least I was right about the Proof part. :)
  • More commonly called "black prints" in the USA.
  • Thanks all for info- very helpful