Is it ok to challenge the establishment?

I've been looking at this item day after day now for more than a week, and every time I look at it, I get just a little more annoyed... the item I'm talking about is the Zeppelin giveaway. Now, I know most will be thinking "Why are you complaining about a giveaway, especially Zeppelins!?" Well, it's not the Zeppelins that bother me rather the Inflated Allure attributed to them. This giveaway describes the group as "XF-SUP" which means a minimum grade of 95. Not sure what the level of experience in grading among the readership is, but XF-Sup 95 is a VERY strong grade, and requires an extremely high degree of centering accuracy. I made a comparison of what an XF-SUP (from actual graded, certed stamps from the PF (Philatelic Foundation) is.
Now this particularly chafes my britches because... this giveaway is from the site owners. I'm not asking them to be held to a higher standard, I'm seeking that they be held to the same standard as their own policy states. I'm suggesting that, shouldn't there be a "lead by example" approach here? How can we be critical of any other seller, and expect them to be trustworthy when the owners themselves are not?
I know this is a strong allegation, and I know I could come under considerable criticism for making such a comment. But, are we here to just "sell pieces of paper to whoever will buy it at the highest price that we can milk them for" or, are we here to be philatelic leaders, worth of the buying communities trust, even when giving things away? Sure the market drives the value of the stamp. No problem there, but it is PARAMOUNT for sellers to accurately describe the material they are selling (or giving away... the bar is NOT lower).
Hey, hold me to it. I'm not perfect, neither are my staff, we sometimes make mistakes, but we always correct them.
[Paid for by the people for the Ethical treatment of tiny bits of paper].

C13 - C15 - Combined

Quiz: Which one of these groups is XF-SUP?

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree with you Scott. Makes me wonder if they inflated the value to maximize the potential tax write-off.
  • edited September 2021 2 LikesVote Down
    They can do that without calling it XF-SUP... since they're already using the term "Retail Value", and not Catalog value. No need to "dupe the public" while at it. This is a bad lesson in conditioning people to think that margins that touch the perf are somehow "XF-SUP"... let alone VF.
    (For those who may be wondering, the official grade on the C15 cannot exceed VG, as by definition, if you need magnification to see if the perf is touching the design or not, then it is VG.) Then there's the matter of any other faults (whether visible or not) that may further reduce the grade.
  • Thank you for that lesson Scott.
  • Well apparently this had some influence... the description has been revised, and the mention of "XF" is now gone.
  • Really!!!! I gotta geaux see now.
  • I'll be danged! You're right. I brought this up on another thread when the guy was listing some RARE and SCARCE stamp for a bazillion $$$. As an aside and kind of relevant....I have noticed recently that the HS folks have been pretty responsive to concerns as of late. I guess since the Zepps are free to the winner, the winner wouldn't care but I agree that to describe them the way they did was not right. At least they corrected the error. When I win them, I'll list them appropriately. Gracias Scott!
  • I'm pleased say that other steps in other listings that I've brought up have also been rectified. It's great to see that there is a serious approach to building confidence in the quality of listings (i.e. accuracy in description) on the site. Makes me more and more happy each day that we moved here.
  • Please let me know when I win the 30A. I'll pay for the shipping. Thanks!

It does seem that they are working through some issues and at least trying. Better than not trying I suppose.
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I am so sorry, Greg. I am certain of winning that one!! But I am willing to settle for the Zeps
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    I was selling at a show in California and a guy next to me had a similar very nice set and spelt a cup of coffee on them.. messed up his day. Coffee and nice stamps don't mix. Just saying.. probably best to not get too anal on things like this. 10 seconds later he had a zep set that was no gum and coffee stained.. fixable but in need or care and re-gumming. not the APS jury here.. its a stamp site where Owners are trying to make a difference. If some do decide to be judge and jury.. they should consider the effects? my opinion and always.. balance.. not perfection is the best one can hope for. water will find its level regardless. :-) Many confuse the language of descriptions as set rules that are based on their perception. Not so. Calling people (Dealers) out here is simply not cool. There is a big Difference between naming, accusing and calling a dealer out and complaining on site issues, imo. most forums do not allow this.
  • Ya know, people are people. Zepps are just like babies and brides, you'll never call one ugly. If I even had just that unbalanced blue one, it would be extra-fine with me...
  • Phil, sure, but would you Pay $675 for it? Or would you be more "satisficed" with your baby if it was $225? This is the catalog variance between them. And the point that I made was, even if you're giving it away, accurate descriptions are crucial. Otherwise, the entire value of the market degrades. And this was about keeping that balance that Jerry mentions. There is NO balance if a VG stamp is describe XF, and sold to someone "excited but novice/unsuspecting". This is what drives so many people away. And if we say it's ok to exaggerate on the "Free ones", then we're endorsing the same behaviors in the "sellable" ones.
    I've seen plenty of ugly Zepps. I'm not judge and jury, but I'm happy that I've influenced the outcome. It's better for everyone. Language matters. The words we use, matter.
    Try visiting other sites to see how people follow the APS "Rules". :-) where do you set the line? Who said anyone here or anywhere has to follow these rules? One good way to ruin a site is to require your standards.
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    They aren't the APS rules actually. APS in fact, don't do grading.
    And they aren't "My rules" either. They are specified in the rules of the site.
    If you want a site where they don't care about the rules, go look at eBay and see how they have decimated this industry.
    If you want to see what real value is derived from "following the rules", go to Siegel. They won't even take 90% of the material here, as it doesn't meet there standards. eBay = Food Court. Siegel = 3 Michelin stars. I'd like to at least eat where there's table service... and where I order a cup of coffee I don't have to add the words "Can I have it in a clean cup please"?
    I would argue as to Ebay being a bad stamp site. sorry All. :-) They sell 99% of all online stamps. People continue to buy there for a reason. Ebay at one time allowed a group of self anointed peers to monitor and control the stamp section. :-) that lasted less than a year. :-) The idiots were flagging everything (and getting the item pulled) and pretending to know what they were flagging for. Just Saying they Ebay went through the "rules" thing and decided to let the buyers vote with their purchases. Buyers are not idiots but a lot of the rule freaks are. generous return rules (30 days not as described-free return shipping tracked labels) - resolved the problem of mis-ID
  • Did you know that 99% of all statistics are made up?
  • LOL, so true! :-)
  • Sounds like EBay had the same people Facebook use
  • eBay has turned into a garbage site. I left after 22 years because they would not let me use PayPal who I have been using since 2001.
    Unfortunately it is easier to sell on eBay than it is here since it is a pain to list an item ( the new listing form is a piece of junk ) but I get by.
  • Bill 100% with you. We had been on eBay since 1998! (Back in the "Dial-up days" still. We came to Hipstamp about 2 months ago, and have closed our eBay sales all together. Their latest stunt has seen a lot of sellers leave, and the offerings continue to spiral.
    To be honest, we have seen "fewer" sales, but our monthly amounts haven't gone down. We have found there is a better quality of buyer here, or material gets a more fair price than eBay, who continue to just damage this industry more and more with the total junk they allow. They demolished their fraud program a few years ago, which I was an active member of, and the slide started from there. Since then it's gone virtually unchecked. That was bad enough, but then the material quality began to diminish, too many people ripping everyone off created an environment where buyers where afraid to take on more and more risk, it is toxic.
    I have to say, I am rather certain it was this posting that resulted in the update to the listing giveaway description change, and I applaud them for it. This site is the closest to a fair market as I've seen anywhere. It has weeded out many of the bottom feeders we saw at eBay (you know the type that send offers for 10% of the value of items, and then get pissy with you when you don't accept it). This "challenge" demonstrated to me, that they take it seriously, and that is to be lauded.
    well i would disagree with Ebay being bad but we are all entitled to our opinions. I also was with them when that started. :-) I would venture to bet.. (not 99%) that "most dealers here" have an Ebay account and Sync here. 75%? :-)

I was also with Paypal when they started.. they were offering $5 to refer a friend..LOL . I see they are doing the same thing now or were a couple months ago. They have really went through some changes also.
  • Jerry, I can see why you would, because you don't deal in "the usual suspects". Not to discount your experience, but it's not what the typical dealer experiences. You have obscure material that is still best addressed by the widest possible audience. Having moved from one to the other in only the last 2 months, I can tell you, my experience is quite different. We were "synced" for a while, but we have severed that now. We're infinitely happier here compared to eBay.
    I totally understand Scott. Ebay has made a lot of unhappy people over the years. They have done a few things this past 2 years that is redeeming themselves- in my opinion. one is basically allowing unlimited inventory at the same price as was before a 1000 item limit (10k to 50k now same price). their new payment system is pretty good. no issues. discounts for top sellers help- for shipping out quick- tracked. New method to ship to customers in the USA that is tracked and insured up to $25? and cost letter rate.. generally 53cents for stamps 1oz or 73cents for 2 oz. <- for an insured tracked stamp mailing- this is fantastic. (att management! of Hipstamps!) I would love to see that offered here even if not insured but tracked.. this is a USPS deal so Hipstamp should do it also?? Just saying if you forget about their past actions and focus on the present policy - they are ok for me at least for now .. hopefully they will not rip the rug out from under our feet as they have in the past. :-)
  • Yeah, all their great shipping stuff is useless to me here in Japan. None of it works.
    It was their new "Managed Payments" policy that resulted in us leaving... Don't need their hand in my pocket any deeper than they already were. I think that the kind of material you deal in, eBay is probably still the best site for you, so I get that. Our "Weird Stuff" hasn't really moved at all here, but was selling regularly on eBay. But it's something I can forego, we don't "seek it out", it mainly shows up in the odd collections we get. But for the core US, we're getting better prices realized for our material here than we were on eBay, that's reason enough for me to stay here and be happy. This site has some growing pains for sure, but on the whole, I don't see ever going back to eBay. At least not as long as they continue to support garbage listings. That really damages the industry.
  • DUZIC STAMPS IS A FRAUD!
  • Duzzie is not even on hipstamp. CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION this is an off-site phishing trip. Do not go there.
  • Lame sauce.
    This is why the forums need a moderator...
  • Scott,

I agree.