Why does this system truncate some of my titles?

edited September 2021 in Bugs 0 LikesVote Down
If we're supposed to get 80 characters in the Title, why are some of mine truncated (They're under 80-characters and can't be edited), so some relevant information is lost?????

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/guyana-scott-663-mnh-120c-river-steamboat-powis-issue-of-1983-blo/41251007

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you using the bulk loader? This is a known issue with that part of the system.
  • Nope. Individual listings.
  • I just created a test listing and it showed all 80 characters. Time to "Contact Us," I suppose.Image1
  • I'm no tech pro, but it may be that the quotation marks, like some other special characters, are more than 1 character in Ascii-world. I seem to have some fuzzy recollection of something like that. For what it's worth ...
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    Phil, don't cut yourself short...you are indeed a tech pro. In the above example, with the quotation marks, my title took up 75 of the 80 available spaces. I did an edit, removing the quotation marks, and the title was no longer truncated. So....two measly ' marks managed to consume 7 spaces! What an Ascii-hole this code can be (sorry...couldn't resist...). Thank you for sleuthing this out !
    And thanks, Ted, for the assist !
  • George, thanks for testing out the hypothesis, and glad to know it was validated. Although it's an annoying little hiccup, at least it can be managed around. Thanks to you and Ted for doing the hands-on work!
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    Phil is right. In Ascii-world, the ? is (alt) 0063, which is four spaces, not one.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/stampboutique

• I contacted admin awhile ago about this issue. What I fiigured out on my own is that the tilde ~ works well as a 'space holder' and does not end up truncating a descriptive 80 character title.

The other 8k plus listings I set up with what I assumed were OK/No problem characters.... Well that is another story. So as a tactic, I just plug along and repair.

A global solution would be great. I am not holding my breath. Because strategy is just so hard.

Bob
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    It's actually an HTML issue and not an ASCII one. But as you eluded to, special characters and escape sequences can create issues. ASCII is just the translation used in single byte languages. (American Standard Code for Information Interchange). The culprit is how web pages deal with it for special characters. If we went to posting in a language like Japanese you'd get 40 words (give or take) for your listing titles. :)

In the "Good old days" the standard was EBCIDIC extended binary-coded decimal interchange code.

AKA mainframes.