Quite a rare stamp priced at 13 bucks!

So, as I was browsing the Monday auctions, a #57 caught my eye. "Isn't that a pretty rare issue?" I said to myself. Sure enough, they number in the dozens and go for 20,000 to 40,000? "What a deal", I thought. Not so fast my friend. A quick search shows that it's not a 57. Maybe a 76 or 95, in which case $13 might be a fair opening bid. The kicker is that although this isn't a daily or weekly occurance, it's far from uncommon. And this from one of the "BIG" dealers. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well the stamp in question is a # 76. There is no stamp # 57 but there is a # 67 and that is surely not a Buff or on of the minor colors.
    Who ever listed that for Rosenberg must also be one of the fools who came up with the idea for the new listing form. LOL
  • Ah, they've just buggered up a Typo. This is a 75. They've entered 57... we've all done it...
  • Yes, a case of dyslexia but I couldn't figure out the 71 posing as a 61.
  • They process way too much stuff too quickly. I recently low-balled a duck stamp described as no gum. Nope. Fully gummed, never hinged, $4 for a $90 stamp. Sometimes you get the bear. Three mis-identified stamps I've had from them, twice in my favor, out of maybe 6 purchases. Only 1 error was from my own carelessness.
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    You lost me Andrew... where is a 71 listed as a 61?
    And even with that, another simple typo... 6 instead of 7 right next to each other on they keyboard. It's not hard to see how that happens.
  • Interesting Phil... there is also a psychology in stamps... I mean, I love finding mis ID'd material in collections that particularly increase the value of the collection. I'd say that happens in every collection I buy. Of course the converse is true too, which is why you have to build a strong skillset of risk management when buying collections.
    But the same could be said for selling singles... an even "intentional" mis-ID to make the buyer go "Wow, I got steal".
    I'm not saying I condone it, but I could see how it could actually drive sales in a store...
  • By the way, I've read that the old 57 was pulled by Scott and is now an essay: 67E9e. Same design.
  • Yes, it is. But it's $30,000 and a different shade. The one they have listed is just a Typo... 57 for 75.
  • I once...or twice...or...well I entered the Scott number as the price. Anyone here who claims they never make a typo or experience a "brain fart" while wading through everything is worthy of our praise and worship.
    Ain't it great to be human - and notice others are too???
  • My doctorate is in human error. In researching and studying this "phenomenon", it was discovered that humans, on average, make a mistake every 4 minutes... so just think about that. With 7.5 billion people on the planet, that's a lot of mistakes every 60 seconds...