First Class Envelope Tracking

I am trying to figure out USPS first class envelope tracking. I purchased an item from a HIP seller and it came in a 1st class envelope with a USPS tracking sticker. The applied postage was a 3 ounce rate. To get tracking I usually send an item as a first class package which costs $4 plus depending on the weight and destination(US only). It seems that there are some services out there like LetterTrack that provide the tracking service for envelopes for a small fee. It looks like this seller may have manually added the tracking number into the USPS system. Call me confused but intrigued by the idea of getting tracking for a better price than 1st class package rates. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Bob

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I use ShippingEasy and can get tracking starting at $3.12. I print them on a 5 1/2 " x 8 1/2 " label which costs another 30 cents applied to a 6"x9" envelope which costs 13 cents. It would be nice to get that cost to 98 cents. Why not ask the seller how he does it?
  • Robert, can you provide a picture of the cover, in order to better ascertain the circumstances?
  • Yes of course asking the seller is the most direct option. Was hoping that perhaps there might be some insight here on the Board.

Bob
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    yes, very interesting. I wonder if the rate was under $1? as in 93cents (for 3 ounces) or 53cents for one ounce? if so is it the same service Ebay is offering and it includes insurance under $20 and tracking? the tracking is only available with Ebay that i know of so it would be hard to use on another site or impossible. I can't see why other sites could not use the same postal system other that the fact that they do not want to because they don't make a profit? :-) 53-93cents with free insurance that can be put in a small envelope and tracked as opposed to the $3-$4 range is a no brainer for the purchaser + the free insurance. Ebay sellers are saving $100-1000's of $$$ on this system plus it puts you in the Top rated seller status which also reduces fees somewhat. I can't see Paypal or the internet postal sites getting on board even if it is obvious they can as it would be against the law for the USPS to not offer this system to them after giving it to Ebay? not sure if Ebay is the one footing the bill for the insurance? but the tracking # is the internal code the USPS uses on all mail sent out not available to the normal postal Employees or clerks. the same type of # that the USPS often prints or attaches to 1st class mail, sometimes covering the address :-) a number and or a bar code
  • Interesting indeed. this sale was on Hip... not Ebay. The item was $24. The postage was around 98 cents... I believe for 3 ounces. I did not weigh the envelope(legal sized letter) but it did include a stiffener and some marketing materials so it was "rigid" although not marked such. Certainly north of 2 ounces but probably shy of 3. There was a USPS tracking sticker which is like those applied when you mail a first class package and get tracking at the PO.

It seems that Ebay offers a program like this. Saw a few sites on the Internet that offered a product that would include a barcode on a printed label which would provide a "tracking number". The cost there around 25 cents per label. LetterTrack was the one that I saw high up in the search.

Just trying to figure out if anybody else uses this type of service and if so could provide some advice as to how to proceed.
  • Do you happen to have a tracking number off hand? It sounds like it's not a USPS tracking number but a number provided by Ebay that the USPS can use for Ebay but not outside of there.
  • The sale was on HIP not Ebay
  • This would be very useful if figured out.
  • edited January 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Additional information. I threw away the envelope. But I wrote down the tracking number. When I checked the tracking number on the USPS system, it shows where the envelope was mailed from, the interim handling details and the final delivery information(left in my mailbox).
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    would love to figure out how the seller got his hands on that. the tracking sounds exactly like the ebay one but.. you can not track at the usps site the ebay ones unless you go thru ebay offered individual link- no generic search link is offered. someone may be offering this system now.. I hope so. example of an Ebay envelope type (under 3 oz) tracking # ESUS73941136
  • That makes sense as to why you can't track it on the USPS site. USPS uses a 22 digit number.
  • Not sure what you are saying Michael. I tracked the item on the USPS site. The tracking worked.
  • Robert I believe he was referring to Jerry's tracking number.
  • Robert,

Jerry was talking about the tracking number that Ebay gives the sellers, not the number you are referring to. I should have stated that for you.
  • Missed that. Thanks John.