Are these worth anything?

20220107_103735

Thanks Rene and Greg for previous comments. Here's a small sample of that inherited collection.
Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Inherited a large stamp collection from my Grandfather. I have no idea what to do with it. There are thousands from all over the world.
    Very old ones. The Paragon book is 50 % full from all countries. Anybody have ideas on what to do.

Here's a few images.

Thanks

Mike
  • edited January 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Inherited a large stamp collection from my Grandfather. I have no idea what to do with it. There are thousands from all over the world.
    Very old ones. The Paragon book is 50 % full from all countries. Anybody have ideas on what to do.

Trying to upload a few pictures unable to do so, any ideas?

Here's a few images.

Thanks

Mike
  • Your pics must be 2MB or less each.
  • Thank you, I'll try to reduce
  • I've been trying to do that for years without much success! LOL! Look forward to seeing what you might have there.
  • Mike , most ( if not all ) high value stamp accumulations and collections were curated by the collector and arrangements made for disposition after death . The immediate heirs ( children ) were typical benefactors . The most common situation is a collection put together in the heyday era of stamp collecting (1930-1950s) made up of common stamps of that era . Very few are valuable and I don’t want you to feel too disappointed if we say not much value . Age of the item does not equate with value . The real wealth will be likely found in the sentimental value of the heirloom as a cherished recollection of a relative long gone . Post a few pages of early US and Great Britain to give us a brief view .
  • We shall see shall we? While Rene is correct in his astute observations that it is uncommon to find a really valuable collection or group that has not already been "adjudicated" properly, one never knows, does one, until one sees the ones we are discussing. And he is also correct in that age does not always equate to value. I know that every time I look in the mirror. Condition, scarcity, desirability...things like that equate, sometimes, to value.

Mike, a few images will help tell fairly quickly where your grandfather's collection is on the spectrum so fire away. Can't wait to see 'em!

El Grego
  • 20220107_103735

Thanks both for comments, very much appreciated. Trying to upload a 1.7mb pict of a small sample. We'll see if it shows up. Mike

• The value of the stamps you've posted lies in the historical significance. First of all, No, not rare at all. German stamps, early 20's, representing the period of hyperinflation destroying the Weimar Republic. They had to overprint with higher and higher values. These are truly fun pieces of history but abundant and almost all older collections house them.
  • Thanks Rene. I do love the history of them. I'll keep looking for something so I can quit working. Lol
  • edited January 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    LOL, yes, I keep looking but haven't found the stamp yet to retire on after a 50 year quest...but the fun is in the adventure, the old boxes, the garage sale finds, the shoeboxes fulll of just paper crud, the old postcards.... never boring!
  • Thanks Mike I'll check it out.
  • I found one, once, I just knew I would be able to retire on. It turned out, though, it was defective. The picture of the plane was upside down, so I tossed it.
  • And I found it in Ted's trash. I knew rummaging would pay off
  • Could anyone tell.me if these are of value? Thank you
  • If what are of value? The stamps in the picture of the original poster? The answer is no.
  • Laurie, you might have tried to upload an image that was bigger than 2MB. That is the size limit for images in this forum. You might try again with a reduced image size.
  • I noticed no one gave a estimated price for the picture stamp list shown to the best of my knowledge what is shown be worth $1 pushing the envelope would be asking $5 for those unless a Rare cancelation is visible the price could be more but none that are visible here.

A fair amount of stamps with almost perfect cancelation and clear date n where stamped tends to have a 20%+ premium mark up food for thought where I also seen go up 500% above regular average cancelation stamps.

Any stamp that has damage such as tears, holes, stains, mold, mildew, scuffs, thins, etc tend to be worthless but that may not be the case as in the eye of they beholder 1 man's garbage is anothers treasures but this community people want MNH, Precancels, Used without Damage perhaps everyone needs to make a freebie pile to go along with there sales pass on the floaters as they never have a permanent home lol

But historically these stamps shown are cool as pie to look at the design, color are what sparks most, the bold overprint to me is worthless if not devalues it in my perspective.
  • Brett.
    "everyone needs to make a freebie pile to go along with there sales pass on the floaters as they never have a permanent home lol"
    That's a great expression. The "floaters...never have a permanent home."
    That is prose that borders on poetry. And a beautiful, if a little sad, thought.
    There are probably more stamps in the "floater" category than in permanent collections.
  • Amen indeed, My mother once said you are a poet n didn't even know it true words.
    Brett I’d rather say you are more Haiku style in terms of your poetry but unlimited in terms of expression you have spoken for those little piles of useless stamps who simply float from collection to collection without care or value sadly like people we all know sometimes
  • I'll take that & yes so true like as a leaf blows...
  • Is an ampersand a punctuation mark? Hmmm...kind of in the middle on this one. :smile:
  • No, a few cents each. But interesting history.
  • How can you tell if your stamp is the on that's shown with a hight value ,I have the same stamp of the one with high value but it the same as the one with low value what am I miss how can I tell the difference please help thank you
    Amy, similar image and color stamps can vary a lot in value due to different perforations, watermarks, etc. An example is Scott number 1789 which has a catalog value of about 40-50 cents and Scott 1789B which is about 4-5 thousand. and the difference is the perforations. That stamp was issued in 1979.