Questions about a cover condition

img0433

Newby question. I don't collect covers and normally throw them out when I acquire a couple here or there. In this case I acquired a bunch of covers at auction (with other stuff I wanted), I have a store so I thought I'd try to sell these cheap. They are all from the same source (same name and address on the front). Because they are all same source, I am assuming storage is not the issue. Some of the covers have glue bleeding through. This is the factory sealed edge, not the edge that gets licked. If you know, would you folks kindly educate me as to what causes this to happen? Does it make them so undesirable that I should just throw them out. In my opinion most of these covers are borderline because of other issues anyways. They are yellowing and are showing their age around the edges. All of these covers came from Canada and are late 50's - early 60's if that makes a difference.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don... Please consider a ''Donation Box'' before tossing items out. There are Veterans Groups & local Boys & Girls Clubs who would be happy to have them.
  • I second Dan's comment. And I would bet this was caused by acidic gum being used to manufacture the envelopes. Just a guess but that what it looks like to me.
  • Like Greg mentioned, this phenomenon comes from bleed-thru of the high acidity adhesive used in the manufacturing of the envelopes. Many old-tyme collectors, aware of this, would put stiffeners into the envelopes to stop the bleed from showing up on the front of the covers (although they, in many instances, used acidic paper which contributed to the toning of their covers).
    The things that most needs to be evaluated on the covers are franking, directional postal markings (due, forward, return to sender, dead letter office, etc) and sender/recipient. If these are unusual in any way, then the value is there in spite of the adhesive bleeds. Even certain types of machine cancellations can have value. If not, then, yeah, donate them. It would be helpful for evaluation if you showed scans of the fronts of any covers you think aren't run-of-the-mill...
  • Dan - Good idea. I already have a box of stamps for donation. If it is to be the same fate for these covers, they'll fit just fine.

George - I did forget to include they are first day covers. All of them had stiffeners inside, but through the envelopes you can see that the stiffener is just random paper and sometimes thin cardboard. I think all of them are run of the mill. They start at Scott # 360 and run to #410. I'll attach a few more random scans just for shits and grins.

img0435
    img0435a
    img0436
    img0436a
  • Don, those are out of my wheelhouse (no clue on the cachet makers), so I would suggest you do a search for comparables both here and on eBay (especially eBay since you can look under 'sold' to see what they went for). This may give you some indication if its worth the trouble listing them. FWIW, I've sold some US first flight covers that had similar levels of bleed-thru on the front as these (some with more), but the cachets still got me enough bids that I was able to move almost all of them, albeit it in most cases not for huge amounts.
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Don, these all catalogue approximately $3.00 Canadian ($2.36 US). There are several of the Cameo FDC's that have Winnipeg Cancel & tagging that are worth considerably more (at least $25.00).. There are five stamps in this series - 1 cent to 5 cents. You might want to check if you have any Winnipeg Cancels. Also check if you have any covers with Cameo Coils - these are not common.
  • Thank you, Jeri. That is a big help to me. I don't collect covers, so I never bothered to learn much about them. The only thing I truly know is that they take up a lot of space. I will use what you told me to learn a little bit and check to see if I stumbled into any better money. This batch does appear to be picked through so I'm not hopeful, but you don't know for sure without making effort.