Estimated Shipping Could Cause Buyer Confusion

I just noticed HipStamp has made another change which I believe could cause buyer confusion and impact some seller's sales. It now seems the majority of listings include "+$0.00 Est. Shipping"; however, some don't show a shipping charge on the listing page. This might cause some buyers to shy away from those stamps showing a shipping charge, thinking those without are shipped for free. However, when one takes the time to look, those sellers also charge for shipping.

While I'm not in favor of this new change, if they show the cost for the 1st stamp, they should also show the cost for additional stamps shipped in the same order. Doing that would be helpful. Many ship extras for free, but some charge a fee for each stamp shipped which might impact the buyer's purchase decision.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm just a buyer but if no shipping cost posted no way will i attempt to buy - too many sellers. For that matter, if one doesn't respond if i wish to see backer (like 2 big dealers on today's auction) I'll never buy from them even though I've seen ending auctions of theirs end up less than I was willing to pay
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    I like the new feature. Many sellers charge $2.40 or more to ship a single stamp (perhaps because they ship from another country or provide tracking). I can now quickly eliminate these sellers form my buying decision.
    Note that FREE SHIPPING is clearly displayed in green text when it is offered.... I would avoid all listings that show no value for shipping.
    I agree that each purchase still requires a closer look to determine the real cost of multiple purchases from the same
    seller, but I find this new feature a great improvement to the buying experience.
  • While I appreciate that some like the new shipping information on the listing page, apparently it doesn't go far enough and some buyers don't understand they still need to read the detailed shipping information provided with each listing. I just received the following question from someone watching one of my listings. .... "Shipping Cost Reduction For Multiple Listings?" .... I assume they mean multiple purchases. This is exactly why I think HipStamp should also provide the cost to ship additional stamps in the same order. Doing so, provides the buyer the "complete picture" to determine the actual total cost when comparing sellers.
  • edited March 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    Sorry, but I can’t sympathize with a customer who can find the “Ask Seller a Question” button, but not the Shipping button, which would provide exactly that information.

Adding that “fee for additional stamp” info still does not provide the “complete picture.” One still has to click through to the main listing to see the images and read the descriptions. There is only so much one can reasonably expect to see in the search thumbnails.

• To me it's just another example of hipstamp trying to "fix" what isn't broken, then only "fixing" it halfway. The new shipping display, no matter what your opinion is, only tells part of the story. You have to open the shipping tab to get the rest. Which for most, isn't going to happen with the shipping displayed right there with the cost.

Having said that... I also think that the buyers that complain without reading the shipping information would probably also complain if you hung them with a new rope. There is nothing you can do about it, kick the chair, call it a day.
  • I am impressed!!!! They might have come up with idea that's even dumber than the auto feedback "improvement". Just simply listing the estimated single item shipping cost does not come close to the entire story of actual shipping costs from a given dealer. If HS is going to do this, why can they not post the additional shipping options available like a purchase price threshold that gets free shipping for example or other shipping options available from a dealer? Most stores that I know of constantly struggle with finding the "sweet spot" on shipping charges, myself included. Too high=lower sales, too low=don't make any money after HS and PP fees and other minor costs of supplies etc. How to structure shipping incentives that benefits both the customer and the dealer. Now....HipStamp just states....BLAMMO!!!!! Here is the shipping cost for this single item. A lot of folks, I would imagine, might see that and go no further and think "Damn! $1.25 to ship a $0.30 stamp" without investigating any other options for shipping a dealer may provide. Yup, I am most definitely impressed!
  • Another stupid idea from the HipStamp IT idiots. Greg, I am impressed also that they can be that dumb.

Unbelievable.
  • You are all so right. Why doesn't HS simply put the WHOLE listing -- shipping options, additional stamp fees, free shipping threshold, Offers Accepted, explanation of grading, seller's location, and any other dealer notes -- within the browse listings? And while they're at it, a Buy It Now button. Then you won't even have to click through to the dealer's selling page.
  • Not really what I'm getting at but I understand. My point is that they didn't need to do it in the first place because (and I can back it up with evidence) it makes it appear to customers that the displayed shipping charge is for that stamp alone regardless of any other offers available to them. My evidence (albeit relatively short in time) is that not a single one of all the items I have listed since they started this has garnered one single view. Not one. Very unusual and noticible for me anyway. I think the customer sees that "estimated" shipping charge and just passes on by without looking into the details. I can't blame them if this is the case. If I am looking at 10 different items at $1.00 each say and they think that the shipping could add up to $12.50 at $1.25 "estimated" shipping each, I would pass on it too even if the dealer might, unbeknownst to them, offer free shipping at a $10 order threshold for example. It's just simply an unnecessary and confusing thing for them to do, especially without really telling the customers really what it is and what it means. I am not a fan of it but remain eminently impressed for the reasons I said before.
  • My sales are down since they started this, at least mention the complete cost, say 4 cents each additional stamp or what ewer the whole picture is.
  • George,

Welcome to the group beating of the poor, dead horse. Enjoy the scrap and good luck!
  • Hey Micheal Dodd..
    I see now..Our sales have died because buyers want free shipping!
    Buyers want sellers to do all the work, and then get the stamps for free...oh look..over there......is that delcampe?
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    I just noticed the "estimated shipping" is gone. Now only shows if shipped for free. Perhaps HipStamp does listen to some seller concerns after all. I hope they don't plan on bringing this back.
  • BIG TIME Ditto John! I hope it stays this way too. Actually very a good compromise in my opinion. Now, I am really impressed...
  • Just a note for Mr. Rosenberg if he's watching. Good job in making this change. Thank you!