What is this

I am wading through a collection of FDCs I just bought and I ran across a puzzling piece.
It has a single #1590 Jefferson Memorial and a strip of 3 #1299 both canceled 4-16-76 in Monticello. The date is the release date for the $2 bicentennial bill and the piece is a $2 Bicentennial Bill. The currency is signed in the upper left by Francine Neff the Treasurer of the US.
My question is this: is it a philatelic item or a nusimatic item or both or neither
Second obvious question: what's it worth.

The bill is in a stiff plastic sleeve and it seems that is its original home as the bill is in good condition (no folds/tears or smudges).

Scan719

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, that's something to make a fella go hmmmmm... I wonder if there are more of them somewhere, can't imagine why not.
  • A quick google search showed numerous versions of this occurrence. Many different US stamps were used. A common stamp was the US flag set. They put one per bill then cancelled 50 bills, sold them as a set. All samples claimed to be cancelled on the bill's first day of issue. I didn't see any others with the autograph. Prices ranged from $20-$300.
  • Back in 1976, my father had a few $2 bills stamped and cancelled at the PO on the day of issue. He gave me one for Christmas. I spent it.
    Of course it wasn't autographed. The autograph is what makes this one different.
    Unautographed and uncirculated, they're worth $3-5.00. A crease, wrinkle or dinged corner will make it worth $2.00.
    With the autograph, probably around $20.00 as no one is collecting her signature.
  • When the revised $2 bill was released on April 13, 1973, the Treasury Dept, and the Post Office authorized first day cancellation of the bills provided that first class postage (13 cents at the time) was affixed to the bill. It was the first, and only time this was permitted. You could go to any post office to have this done.
  • Thanks guys. Gives me something to ponder. When I looked on line I saw a lot of cancelled bills with stamp attached that were dated FDOI of the stamp. I'm still not clear if this is more appropriate for stamp collectors or paper money collectors. I suppose if I post it and it does or doesn't sell would answer the question.
  • Wayne, What's the name of your store?
  • not saying i am correct but if you go into "stores' type in last name i store only pops up out of florida with a lot of fdc for sale
  • Steve, I didn't realize that was an option. Thank you both.