Favorite Photos & Philatelic Eye Candy

Comments

• .....better by the keg... Been there, did that, got the t-shirt.
    If you offered me the chance to live my life over again, I'd have to pass. I barely survived the first time.
  • Greg - Our frat swill was Pabst Blue Ribbon. I'm surprised yours was a beer...I would have guessed you preferred...

kp
  • 1966 was a good vintage.
  • Hey, Cats and Kittens, it's time for more stamps!
    Monaco 280-82, Radio Monte Carlo, 1951. I think every young stamp collector in the 1960s had the 1 franc stamp. The three together are beautiful with really
    stunning color.
    20220322_111238
    I tried to find more information on this Radio Monte Carlo, but there are confusing issues about French and Italian networks and no historical information.

20220322_110601

This is a cool story. Here is Brazil 635-39 from July, 1945, commemorating the Brazillian Expeditionary Force and Brazil's role in WW2. Those are the shoulder patches of the US 5th Army and the Brazilian 1st Expeditionary Infantry Division. And yes, that is a snake with a pipe.

Brazil declared war against Germany in 1942 after several Brazilian ships had been sunk by submarines. President Vargas agreed to contribute to the American war effort. Naval and air support started quickly, but it took a long time to get an infantry force trained and equipped to US standards. People in Brazil began to doubt his commitment to the war, and one journalist quipped that folks would see snakes smoking cigars before Brazillian infantry fought in Europe.
    The phrase immediately became Brazillian slang, meaning exactly the same as "when pigs fly. " Well, the leaders of the 1st EID chose to use the image as the unit's emblem. They got to Italy in July of 1944 and, after still more training and re-equipping, they commenced to do a whupping on the Germans. And they called themselves the Smoking Snakes, which is easier to say in Portuguese.
    The Brazillian effort came to a full infantry division organized to the US Army pattern, more than 25,000 men. There was also a Brazillian Air Force contingent in Italy, equipped with P-47s. Given all that, it is sad that we don't recognize the Brazillians more, and there is so little about the effort in the general knowledge of WW2.
  • Hey Mabel, Black Label.
    Made on the shores of beautiful Lake Cochituate.
    Carling Black Label Beer.
  • 20220321_163605
    20220321_140058
    Couple of things that came in the mail this week, along with the disappearing Iceland SS.
  • That's a cool Armenean cover. It got me interested enough to check the exchange rate. The Armenian dram is about 488 to the dollar. Each of those 70 dram stamps had a face of 14c, for a ballpark total of $7.50. And it don't matter how cool a cover is, the USPS will find a way to screw it up...
  • I am most definitely going to have another chat with that rascal cat, Bentley. Now he's giving stamps away willy-nilly! Probably the worst CFO ever!!!!! :smile:
  • No, that cat's name was Enron.
  • OOOOOHHHH! That cuts a little close to home. My wife worked for The Crooked E for 15 years before they stole all her retirement and job. Sad thing is that of the many that spent time in prison for that crap they pulled, a lot are out now running businesses like financial services firms, etc. I still get upset about it every time I drive by the "Speed Stick" building in downtown Houston. I can't really say what I really think about them here....I would get banned forever. Anyway....
  • France 396 for the WW1 ace Guynemer, issued in 1940. For a stamp in 1940, this is just such a great design. Guynemer looks cooler than a cucumber leaning on the cowling of his SPAD. Check how the RF monogram is worked into the vanes of the radiator. All kinds of neat

20220324_191338
  • Very cool!!!!
  • Very coolant!!!!
  • Very cowling.
  • Sez the man who bet (and probably lost) my last dollar!!!!!! :smiley:
  • Well I have to bet someone’s money, when I’ve lost all my own.
  • I'm simply amazed that a stamp this modern has a grill...
  • I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!
  • Oh, I just love talkin' 'bout stamps. Ya'll r just cookies, real cookies....
  • I actually really like those old French engraved stamps. Great artistry and detail like in your example. I like hamburgers and cookies too but there's something about that printing method and the artists involved make them stand out.
  • I see no reason the two can't be combined...

hamburger
  • I'll have to break out Serrane and check the "B" on this one......
  • Bentley reports, after his extensive research, that Larry Serrane thinks your "B" is funky. FALSCH! he states decisively. But one can never trust a cat's research, ethics, or morale for that matter, or a guy named Larry Serrane. I'll check the real Serrane in the morning.
  • 20220327_003731
    Southern Rhodesia 40

20220327_001535
    Great Britain 108

20220327_002532
    And my newest Irish seahorse, Ireland 13. The gap between the "h" and "e" marks this definitely as a Dollard, Ltd. overprint from February, 1922.
  • Very nice Phil!
  • I've mentioned already that I have a crazy spot in my head for imperfs, especially French Community imperfs. Here are my French ones so far. These are all fairly common for the imperfs, all from the Scott 1100s range except for a couple semi-postals. Someday I need to get me a European catalog so I know what I'm doing, someday.
    20220329_115853
    20220329_120147
    20220329_120331
    20220329_121517

20220329_121632
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    20220329_122408
    20220329_122504

And just by the way, while we're here, these are "imperforate" stamps. They are not "imperforated." Imperforate means there are no holes. Imperforated means that you took the holes away...
  • Why aren't they unperforated?