Jamaica MR6 or MR6c?

The Jamaica 1916 War Tax stamp MR6 has a variety (MR6c) which is described as having the "S" inserted by hand. I am no Jamaica expert here by any stretch but the "S" on this one does not align with the "TAMP". Is this indicative of the MR6c or this the normal MR6 type? I have seen a couple of examples here on HS which claim to be the MR6c but not having a genuine example to compare, I am skeptical. 7033

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Greg. I found this example on an old auction listing.
    20220412_225724
  • So the "S" in this case is offset to the left but better aligned with the "TAMP". Font seems consistent. Do you know if this one had a cert? Makes me think my copy might warrant expertization. CV difference is $7.50 vs $225
  • Balance of probability Greg, yours has the S added after.
    These were a mess, so there were quite a few that ended up with the S missing, and so it was added. Where they are printed, they align perfectly.
  • Kind of what got my attention Scott. I would think that if it was applied all at once, everything would be aligned. If the "S'" was added afterwards by hand, it seems that it could have any kind of mis-alignments...up, down, left, or right of the "TAMP".
  • edited April 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    All the examples I've seen of the added S have some misalignment.
  • Either way, still a nice stamp
  • Anybody notice that the two examples pictured do not have the same type of overprint. Look at the Serifs.
  • edited April 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    A couple of other MR6c examples I found today. I know they may be difficult to see but I did notice a difference. One looks, though, as if it maybe was applied with more pressure. I don't know...that's why I'm asking.

Jam MR6c
    Jamaica MR6c
  • The S that is inverted has the serif pointing outward which is on the bottom with yours Greg but is on the top for the true MR6c.
  • Bill, thanks but that is a bit confusing to me. Not talking about an inverted S, rather an inserted S. And I'm not sure what you mean the serif pointing outward on the S. Inverted or inserted, the serifs would point up and down wouldn't they?

This exercise doesn't really matter to me whether it is an MR6 or MR6c. I'm just trying to learn on this little feller what would constitute the originally placed S or the one placed afterwards by hand.
  • As Scott said a number of them had them inserted and they can be all over the place. On the normal ones the top serif goes straight up and down where the bottom serif is angled slightly outward.
  • Ok, but if the "S" was inserted by hand, could not the "S" itself be at some angle to the "TAMP" part? Surely having to hand-stamp a ton of "S"s on little stamps, not every one was placed precisely vertical and in alignment with the "TAMP" part. Again, I'm not betting on this being one or the other, just trying to understand.
  • I see what you are talking about. I was referring to the MR6d which is the inverted overprint. The MR6c is the inserted by hand S. Those are generally far apart for the MR6c. There are minor varieties which probably is what you have and they should be listed in SG. I have seen the one you have many times and is considered a minor variety but not sure what the value is since I do not have my old SG's available right now.
  • Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. Had me a bit confused there for a bit. I am sure there a myriad of varieties, both major and minor, of the genuine MR6c inserted "S" based on how it had to be executed.
  • Pop quiz, Greg. Do you have the inserted overprint or the inverted S?
  • You know....ummmm...uhhhh....not a clue. What sayeth you oh Bard of the northlands? At least north to me eh.