Favorite Photos & Philatelic Eye Candy

Comments

• Thank you, Scott. I enjoy meandering around, getting stuff that appeals to me, but I'm not a completist by any means. And i enjoy sharing the images. Collecting stamps can be such a solitary endeavor, so it's nice to have an audience.
  • No, no, no!
  • Bad Greg, Bad. :)

Phil, your collection is both inspiring and just full of great imagery. It reminds me of what attracted to me to collecting in my early days.

I just SO don't want to get pulled down that rabbit hole!
  • Lithuania #996 (2013) - The National Bird, White Stork
    2204_xx08
  • Ukraine Scott Nr 849 (2011) - 7 Natural Wonders of Ukraine
    Uk 0007
  • Very nice Ted! Just a reminder though...this is all Phil's fault!!!!!!! Well done Cappy!!!! Great thread!
  • edited April 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    My fault! My fault! Hahahhaa, mea culpa, plumb shuckers!
    I did this, and I'll do it again and again and again! Hahahhaaha!
  • Mwhahahahahah!!!! :smiley:
  • edited April 2022 3 LikesVote Down
    This isn't a political statement. It's just a cool cover that I got this week.

Flight Cover

Signed by all four cosmonauts on board.
  • That's a lovely cover
    I like how the colors of the autographs match the cachet.
  • She's a beaut alright!
  • Phil, yeah, I thought that was cool. There were two different ones. I have the other as well. 50 were signed and flown, I have a 5 each of them as well that are unsigned. I bought the lot at auction, it has about 45 covers in total.

I also recently won a lot that I'm waiting to arrive, that were flown with the Reese's Monkeys on board. Unfortunately, their signatures are unreadable being Russian Monkeys and all.
  • Funny you should mention that. I was fortunate to visit Miss Baker at Huntsville back in the 1970s...
  • Tranquility Base.
  • edited April 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    Here are some of my Vichy Colonial Airmails.
    Dahomey C6-13.
    20220408_135523

• And Senegal C17-25.
    In 1942, the Vichy government issued sets of airmail stamps to common designs for 8 colonies in Africa. Only the Senegal set had the 100fr value. According to notes in Scott, these sets were sold in France but not released in the colonies. Scott notes that the Senegal 50fr and 100fr are known to have been used in Senegal. Another source I have read maintains that the 50fr values were released and used in all 8 colonies. At any rate, Vichy is a touchy subject in France even today, and Vichy era stamps are probably as close as I will ever get to collecting nazi regime stamps.
    20220408_134948
  • Yeah, I just had to have it. France 629 CITEX 1949, Centenary of French stamps. Upper right corner. These were printed in sheets of 10 (5x2).
    20220427_115406
  • Spectacular Phil
  • I think I still have a sheet of them some where in my archives.
  • I have been waiting to get this stamp for a very long time ... rw26
  • I only have 4 duck stamps, I wish I could afford more. That one is lovely.
  • That's one of my favorite of the Duck's Luree.
  • Thank you Phil and Scott, I have the whole collection and am going back to replace all used with mints. It's not a race, but someday I'll be able to say they are all mint condition! And this stamp is a very controversial design. We know what rules there are to follow to be able to win the contest. After this was released, some didn't like it. Making this stamp a prize for me.
  • Lauree. I also have a complete set of duck stamps. All the full color ones are mint. All the earlier ones are used and signed. Expect for #1 which, being the first, was almost never signed.

Just a thought. I have seen collections that have all been signed by the original artist. Just if you want to get even more crazy.
  • I'm one of the loonies who collected the full set (up to 2010) all MNH. The only one I need is the RW5 but its a chore trying to find one in XF/Superb with a price tag that isn't nutz. I then expanded to artist-signed, on-license, and copies with remarques. IMO, these are the most beautiful stamps out there.
    Decades ago, when I was still in dental school (so poor as a church mouse), I noticed an RW1 for sale on eBay that was listed as used/signed. Since the first issues weren't supposed to be signed, I took a look and to my utter apoplexy, the stamp had been signed by Ding Darling. I checked the signature against other copies on various websites and there was no doubt in my mind it was legit. Sniping was the only option, so on that last day I hid from my wife, Mrs. poor as a Church Mouse (who would have poisoned me for trying), and waited for the listing to end, my heart beat pounding my temples. Out of all the duck stamp collectors out there, apparently only one other collector noticed the signature. I couldn't take the pressure so I put in a bid with like two minutes out (what if I lost my dial-up connection, or there was a freak power failure??). The next two minutes were composed of non-stop bidding between me and the other collector. Being poor, I had to quit at a little over $1K and the other guy got it (still at a bargain price, at least back then). *&%***&*&&&!!!!
    Congrats Luree, the King Buck is an awesome stamp and you got yourself a beauty!
  • Oh man what a story you have there, George. I've been to Ding Darling numerous times with Dianne who practically lived there! Having a signed one by him would be the cat's meow, or the dog's bark? I have chosen to keep a few signed ones and those have my dad's signature. Of course, they will be replaced by mints, but I just can't let them go. It's been fun hunting for the earlier ducks, but I have a few more years to find the right price for me. I know I'm at the really expensive side now and I can wait. Although it will drive me nuts. Unless you or Bob want to let any of them go? lol, I crack myself up.
  • That's great that you have your Dad's, Luree. Yes, never let those go!
    I still have all the ones I signed, and each season I'd buy two stamps, one for hunting and one to keep as mint, just to help the ducks. It was the latter that eventually lured me back into the hobby. I quickly expanded into State Ducks, and then all hunting & fishing revenues (did you know they even have Crow hunting stamps?). Its a huge specialty and also my favorite, as it combines the three loves of my life, philately and hunting/fishing.
  • Crows? I should get one for my backyard! They are mean little critters, dive bombing the Cardinals and Blue Jays. Kidding aside, I wouldn't do that to a bird. I had a hard time when I was taken to hunt for doves with my mom and dad. I can't expand the collection to State and then all the Specialty licenses. I look at the albums I have and to start another one, well, you know.
  • A biplane and a dogsled.
    How cool is that.

a2b125c2d61662a432f138f0582aabed