191R

If you dont see the "I" or the "R" how do you tell the difference between a 191 and a 191R watermarK?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The obvious answer just occurred to me. There probably isn't an issue that would use a 191 and a 191R in the same issue.
  • Don,
    Actually, not the case.

There are three "error" issues I can think of of the top of my head.
    The 271a (6c Garfield) and 272a (8c Sherman) both appear with USPS and USIR watermarks.
    Also, the $1 Prexi (832b) appears on the USIR double line watermarks.

Now... the rule for this is, a large enough % of either the lower leg of the "I" or the base of the "R" as a minimum must be visible to call it a USIR watermark. Interestingly, even in a block of say 4, if 2 of the stamps have U or S on them, those stamps are NOT considered to be watermarked 191. So if you get a block, with the intent of breaking it up into singles, ONLY those singles with discernable % of I or R on them will count. The others are considered 191 watermarked.

Some try to claim when only the leg of the P from USPS is visible that it's a USIR, so you have to very accurately measure to see if the leg is longer than where the base of the curve of the P would connect with the line. If it's past that, then you've got yourself a USIR watermark.
  • If you have a stamp showing only the extreme right of the "I" and the extreme left of the "R" it can only be 191R.
  • I agree with the right of the I but how would you differentiate the left of the R from the left of the P?
  • Scott,

You are correct.
  • Now, if you said extreme right of the R then I would also agree... As you could differentiate it from the P.