Why would Scott do this

I received the following question from a potential customer. Why would Scott make a newly listed minor variety as the major number and relegate what has forever been a QE2 to minor status as QE2a or QE2b (don't have the latest Scott catalog).
Further QE2a used to be the dry printing which the stamp in question is obviously not.

"I'm interested in your QE2, but must ask this question/inquiry.
Is this stamp indeed a QE2? SEE BELOW.

QE1-QE3 was renumbered and reclassified around 2020 by Scott. These Scott Catalogue numbers are for stamps printed on "Special Booklet Paper." The "old" Scott QE1-3 numbers are now minor numbers, with QE1-3 a, or b.

I believe I've asked this question to about 50+ dealers; and none of the "new" QE1-3's, they were selling, were on "Special Booklet Paper." Many of the Bigger Dealers have corrected their inventory/listing. Needless, to say, I have not found anyone who has the "new" QE1-3 stamps printed on "Special Booklet Paper."

Thank you for checking your inventory,"

Very confusing

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited June 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Only discovered this variety in 2014 so maybe now listed that way according to date? Guess I better check my Special Handling Stamps. Special paper has horizontal grain as opposed to the vertical grain. Below is a very helpful site:

https://www.rfrajola.com/PDR2018/Rufe1/Rufe1.pdf

I have precancels on - guess I better recheck and renumber them. Glad you brought this to our attention, Henry.