Box of Cachets

Received a box of old cachets first covers. I know nothing about these items other then a friend gave them to me to try and help me out financially. He doesn't know if they have any value. I need a little advise. Can't seem to upload a sample of the envelopes. I'm just wondering if they have any value at all - not a collector. If anyone can advise me on how to upload a photo that would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It has to be smaller than 2mb per image. So you might need to resize them. Then click on the upload image in the upper right corner. See the image I loaded. Then navigate to where your images are stored and select the images you want to upload then select ok. The images wont appear until after you post the comment. But you should see a link to the uploaded photo.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 155321
  • Which stamp issues? How old? Addressed or un-addressed? Name of cachet maker(s)? All these will factor into their worth.
  • I haven't a clue about any of these items. This are just a sample of the 200 or so that are in the box.

cachet1 (2)
    cachet2
  • I don't want to make a hobby or business out of these.
  • The first cover is the first flight of the Hindenburg from Germany to the US. It generally sells for around $30.00 to $40.00 to a collector.
    The second is a fantasy cover that does not have much value at all.
  • Have any advice on how to go about determining if there's any value in going through them? I don't have a lot of spare time to check out everyone of them.
  • Try doing some comparison shopping on eBay for large lots of FDCs that have sold and look like yours. That will give you a range to work with.
    Most lots of average quality sell in bulk at about the equivalent of $0.20 to $0.50 each cover depending on how common they are.(Lots of 500 mixed covers commonly sell for between $100 and $200)
  • There really is not any easy way to see what you have. The best thing to do is show it to a few people who might be interested but you will have to show it to a number of different people.
    The Hindenburg cover might be the best thing that you have but there could be more. I am assuming that these are from the 1930's and the vast majority might be like the second cover and then again they might not. It is probably a lot of first flight covers from that time but without seeing all of them it is extremely hard to tell.