This is a new twist in listings

edited August 2022 in Chatter 1 LikesVote Down
A listing for $175,000 caught my eye. It had a complete "mint" set 1869 pictorials ( i have been looking for a nice 122)...when I explored the listing in the details section , there was a super long "description" telling a tale of a famous collection, multiple offerings and a collection "worth " $2 million dollars. In essence, selling a $ 2million dollar collection for less than 10 percent of it's value. Does anyone know this seller? And the seller is from California. I recall a big stamp heist in Northern California a few years back. Reaching out to the seasoned sages here for comment.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/raritiesstampauctions

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • But his shipping is $2.00 for the whole lot. That's fair.
  • He is accepting offers.
  • For that kind of money it needs to be viewed / inspected in person - the backstory needs a bit of documentation as well. Due diligence is the key here, especially as he is so willing to break up the collection. How would you know what was already sold?

Yes, I always played devil's advocate in the corporate world .
  • Shipping is $2 ??!!....That does it...I'm not buying!
  • edited August 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    LOL … sometimes I see things that are SO eccentric that they could reflect the age-old malady which affects many above 75 who just do not know or understand technology . This whole affair reeks of an unshaven, afternoon pajama wearing , toilet paper stuck on my shoe , Gunsmoke- rerun watching dealer !
  • There is some kind of reeking going on. It is odd to me that this person decided to market this collection on HS. Maybe they have offered it on other platforms too. But if it was me, I might consider taking it to a good auction house and telling them to break it down and market it at auction. Maybe even make it a featured, single source auction. Even with the added commissions, etc., one might realize a far larger return then trying to move it as a whole on an online marketplace. But what do I know eh?
  • Greg , 100% with you …
    This is just a whole new level . He even says he has authored a book on stamp collecting …
  • And.....it's gone.
    There was some kinda hoodoo going on.
  • Yeah, there might be even more reeking going than at first blush. Two dollar shipping though was a deal. I sometimes wonder about these kind of things when they occur if there was ever an end to the story. They seem to appear...get called out...then disappear.
  • "Now we got along my life was real sunny, but only one thing would ruin our fun. I know that you loved me but you worshiped money, and you got mad when I offered you none. "
  • Beautiful!
    Folks, honest truth here. My family moved to Nashville/Davidson county in 1964 from Birmingham, AL. My brother and I were raised in the late 60s watching Hee Haw late Saturday afternoons, once we had gotten the weekly groceries put up. Saturdays were always busy for us. Cartoons in the morning, then clean house, mow the yard in the early afternoon. Then grocery shopping, put up groceries, and watch Hee Haw. Dinner and then a night of family TV, ending with Startrek. Those were the days....
    Where, oh where are you tonight?
    Why did you leave me here all alone?
    I searched the world over
    And I thought I found true love.
    You met another and pfft you was gone.....
  • But back to the listing at hand. I think this guy was just trying to make fools of the rest of us by forcing some response. Big, involved story, by all lights far too involved and clever. It is so singularly strange how our hobby attracks people like this.
  • edited August 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Good Comrade Phil, I think you're pondering why some folks, considered "different", perhaps antisocial, even on the autistic spectrum are attracted to stamp collecting? Does the hobby attract a disproportionate share of "weird" folks? Well, I would be living proof of that, my weirdness is my love for people, history and just living a good, honest life in front of my family, world and Creator.

....and then there's Ron Lenke..... (where art thou?)
  • I don't find his store listed at all.
    You won't. He may have over-dosed on a big wheel of cheddar cheese a couple of months ago. Probably still recovering.

Seriously though, I do hope he's ok.
  • Shocking! The wild wild west over there. If it walks like a duck....its a duck. If it smells like a fish.....it's a fish.
  • And he still mentions HipStamp in his description:
    "IHAVE 300 PICTURES ON HIP STAMPS. TRYING TO SYNC THE LOTS.GO TO LISTING # 46805287. THIS WILL LEAD YOU TO THREE LISTINGS, ALL THE SAME LOT! The most valuable collection ever run on the Internet."
    He also says he was sending items for certs, but quit because of faults being noted:
    " I started certifying a few items but as expertizing has gone Waco with minor “this or that” including one certificate that says one perf tip enhanced I stopped applying for certs."

How does one listing number lead you to 3 listings?

And why in the world would a collection like this be titled "US Scott #122 Special printing?"
  • None of this makes any sense. It is just lots of impressive word salad.
  • Duh. He is just getting exposure for his book. Duh!
  • That is why I no longer sell on eBay after 22 years. They have gone absolutely nuts.
  • I contacted him...so far no response.