Number of Arrow Blocks for the Franklin Washington issues

edited October 2022 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
Good afternoon, at least here in Texas...
I'm working on how many possible Arrow Blocks there might have been for the FW issues.
My thinking is as follows:
Total number of stamps issued divided by 400 stamps/sheet = # of sheets.
The # of sheets should be = the potential number of each type of arrow block...top, right, left and bottom.
So, number of sheets = number of specific arrow block locations on each sheet.
Looking for input and guidance on this...
Scott, I looked in your "Taming the Beast" and unless I missed it, I was unable to find reference to arrow blocks except this attached image.
Thanks in advance,
HTScreen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.59.56 PM

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HT,
    Full arrows aside from on the 523, 524 and 547 would not exist. (i.e. arrows on both sides) in the same way that center line blocks do not exist, because the sheets were printed as shown above, but they were separated into panes of 100 each before being distributed to post offices where there is then a potential to have a pane of 100 bought by a single patron.
    If you consider "half arrow", then you could potentially have 8 per sheet (2 per pane). But only the high value Franklin $2, $5 were sold as full sheets, and as far as I'm aware, there are only one or two of those still fully intact though the possibility of full arrow blocks in that case can and do exist.

547 Plate Block with Arrow
    547 Right Arrow Block
  • Thank you Scott :)
  • Just as a side note, slippery things have occurred within the stamp production, it's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility that an arrow block for the flat plate FWs exists, because we can see how the sheets were printed, and a page could have been acquired by someone working in that system (either legally or illegally). If such an arrow block were to exist, it would be a rarity. If someone is offering such an arrow block be immediately suspicious of fakery, and check the exact color of the arrow to the color of the stamp. Moral of the story: be skeptical of arrow blocks in FWs.
  • edited October 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Thank you Scott, such valuable information once again.
    And being skeptical of these FW arrow blocks, do PSE or PF certs imply any additional validity?
  • Thinking a bit more about this...what about 368...same same?
  • HT,
    Yes, as well as the 370, though they are in panes of 70 rather than 100 due to their size.
    See image attached.
    370 upper right pane

Also, regarding PF/PSE certs, since there are none known due to how they would have to be in existence, there are no certs for such either.
  • Scott, thank you.
    Same for the 371 and 373? Same?
    And I'm not sure what you mean...
    "Also, regarding PF/PSE certs, since there are none known due to how they would have to be in existence, there are no certs for such either."
    Are you saying that no Imperf FW arrow blocks - that are known - have been certified as being authentic?
    Additionally, it does seem that these arrow blocks are very scarce, at least in the earlier imperf issues, 343-347, 383-384, 408-409...and also in the later issues, it just doesn't seem that very many are available.
  • They are scarce to rare. There are a few (very few, to unique) of some arrow blocks I have now found. But they can only exist under the condition I mentioned previously, which is that they had to be separated before the panes were separated. And you can see that the pane were separated by cutting them without perforation (resulting in natural straight edge of panes).
    I'm curious, do you have any such arrow blocks?
  • 478 arrow block, a real rarity, has not been seen since 1968.
    478 Arrow  Block
  • Scott, I believe you continue to mention perforated arrow blocks...and yes they seem to be very rare for the FWs.
    My question deals more with the imperfs...and no I do not own any imperf arrow blocks at this time, but am considering purchasing the occasional imperf arrow block if/when I can find the "right" one and be comfortable enough with the seller, then get the thing certified...although that's just an opinion,,,although...who knows, maybe I'm just stepping off the deep end here. :)
    By the way, as you're obviously aware, the 478 block above is lovely!
    Scott, are you referring to Imperfs or Perfs please...It sounds like perfs...
    "But they can only exist under the condition I mentioned previously, which is that they had to be separated before the panes were separated. And you can see that the pane were separated by cutting them without perforation (resulting in natural straight edge of panes)."
  • The presence of imperf arrow blocks is a little more frequent in imperf sheets. This is probably because those whole sheets were used to make coil stamps, and those used for coils were not cut into panes first.