Selling sets or singles

I have several complete Canada sets for sale. Usually, there are a mix of low value and much higher value stamps in each set. I have decided to try to sell as a set first, and if no activity in, let's say, six months, I will break the set up. I was wondering if makes sense to add a note in the description something like this...."This listing is being offered, and priced, as a set. However, if you wish to make an offer on one or more individual stamps in the set, contact me when you make the offer and let me know which stamp(s) the offer is on. If the offer is accepted by me, I will ship only those when paid"

Has anyone done this or something similar?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nope, never have done it that way. Most of the time, but not always, the higher denominations of a set carry the higher values and those are often the ones collectors are lacking and seeking. What may end up happening is that as the customer "cherry picks" the singles out of your complete sets, you will end up with a bunch of low value short sets you will have to deal with. To each their own though I suppose and I do offer short sets and they do move but for me, I usually prefer to list full sets if I have them or just singles. Don't have to worry about the complications of offers on singles or partial sets that way. Just my 2c.
  • edited November 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Hi, Based on what you said, you are creating a lot of work for yourself. I would sell the higher stamps individually and group the lower stamps together and sell them at Auction or buy it know. And that's my 2 cents :-)
  • Thanks for the honest thoughts.
  • One thing to keep in mind is topical collectors often will only need one stamp out of a set, regardless of catalogue value. I've done well both ways, but never mind finding some short sets in a large lot I bought as these automatically get offered as individual stamps...and they sell.
  • edited November 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    On occasion, when I’ve had many copies of the same set, I have listed the stamps individually, but have rarely, if ever, sold one.
    What HAS sold, though, as George mentioned, is breaking up topical sets, especially if the sets are from countries where sales are few and far between.

I will break up, for example, a set depicting native fauna, listing the 3 or 4 bird stamps as one lot, the fish stamps as one lot, and, depending on the particular other animals depicted, might list a lot of “wildlife” or if the animals have topical appeal, will list individually, such as, say, elephants, tigers, frogs, etc.

Since my listings note when a lot of 3 or 4 stamps comprises a partial set, I also mention, for the benefit of the topical collector, that these are all the bird stamps ( or fish, or apes) from the set.