Portugal # 50a

edited December 2022 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
On the left is what I think is Portugal 50a. But its blue and I Cannot find it in the catalogue. On the right is 50a with a star punch in the stamp. Any history on the star punch would be helpful.img0131

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited December 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    The star punches were utilized from 1870 to 1893 to invalidate stamps for postage which were used as revenue stamps for payment of telegraph messages.

Ref:
    Carlos Kullberg
    Selos de Portugal - Álbum I (1853 / 1910) page 17

(Google translation)
    "It is interesting to note that the seals (stamps) intended for telegraphic postage, were rendered useless with a five-point star perforation, after they took the mark of the day! Thus, stamps from issues from 1870 to 1893 were rendered unusable."

https://www.fep.up.pt/docentes/cpimenta/lazer/html/ebook/bfd003_p.pdf
  • The blue stamp is likely just a color changeling. The Stamp Smarter web site shows examples of violet to blue changelings.
    change
  • If it's a changeling then it was chemically altered. I see no detectable trace of original color anywhere in the left (blue) stamp. "Natural" changelings will still have some tiny specs somewhere where original pigment color can be seen. Chemical alteration changes the color uniformly.
    And just for clarity, Stamp Smarter isn't always right... but yes, purple and green can both yield blue changelings. (red pigment and yellow pigments are rendered neutral/transparent, and only the blue then shows through).
  • Thanks Ted, I appreciate the info.