1840-1940 Stamps

What is the best suggestion for acquiring 1840-1940 stamps?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Buy them here at HipStamp. But your question is quite open ended. US, worldwide, specific country or continent, regular issue, air post, other BOB? You can search store on HipStamp by country and catalog number and other criteria.
  • Sorry, should have been more specific! I’ve been purchasing WW stamps (1840-1940) from HipStamp, shows, feeder albums, etc. but I need to acquire more stamps in bulk. Is purchasing WW stamp bulks ever render stamps in this time frame or will I just get a lot of doubles, poor quality stamps, mounds of later issued stamps, etc.

• Depends on the quality of the collections. Do your research. Look at the images. If the images are fuzzy and too small to tell what's in the collection, move on. If they are good quality photos/scans of the pages, and you can tell what is at least used/unused, centered well or not, then make your own judgement about value, and buy, bid or make an offer.
    There is always risk. So do your research. (Did I mention do your research?)
  • That helps a bit. My entire store listings of 4500 worldwide stamps are for sale. Just kidding. Are you looking for bulk lots for resale or are you looking for them for your own collection? If for resale, I have had a lot of luck buying in auctions. One has to be particular though and stick to your guns on your max bids. I have also had good luck visiting my local stamp store and buying nice albums from them that they have had sitting around for a while, Some a bit picked over but you can a bit picky there too and many times can negotiate a good price from them, especially if you have doing business with them for a while.

If for your own collection, really the same advice applies really.

There are a couple of wholesale dealers on HipStamp but you are typically buying large multiples of the same item from them.
  • Many of the large auction houses include lots with collections in them. Look at SAN to see which ones are coming up and then peruse what's there. Obviously, it would be best to view any lots in person if feasible.
  • What does SAN stand for?
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    There is also a certain Dr. Friedman who offers collections for sale every month in Linn's and on line. The best items have probably been chrrry-picked, but I guess the collections can be good starters.