Favorite Photos & Philatelic Eye Candy

Comments

• 20221127_133936

Looks like a 12 on the official Bank Note perforation gauge.
  • edited November 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    It's funny because I've never seen this before but my immediate reaction before I had scrolled down to see "CANADA" printed at the bottom was, "I've never seen this 'State Revenue' stamp before, I wonder what state it's from"! Then I discovered it's from the 51st state...

But to give credit where credit is due, it does say "OTTAWA" after American Banknote Company. So I assume that means they had a printing operation in Canada.
  • It must have been one heck of an installation to charge $10 for an inspection in 1897 dollars.
  • Many stamps of Newfoundland were products of American Banknote Company. I have a couple of Cuban banknotes with the imprint, and I think Venezuela and at least two Central American countries got their stamps from ABC.

As for electricity in the late 19th century, the old Edison direct current systems could only transmit for a distance of four or five city blocks, so local powerhouses were numerous. Rich folk often had their own power systems in the basement, and schools or factories with sizable campuses had their own powerhouses. All this stuff was incredibly dangerous and accident prone, so I imagine there was lots for civil inspectors to be responsible for.

• Yeah, that was the other fascinating thing about this... an inspection stamp for electric installation, but realize in 1897, it might not have need be much of an installation... who even had power back then? The first AC (Alternating Current) power station built in Canada was 1888 by Westinghouse in Cornwall, Ontario. Realizing that by 1925, only half of homes in the US had electric lighting. So this was a VERY early installation.
  • Actually mate, if you want to sell this, I'd be interested.
  • @Phil, I agree about the localized DC power, but I get the sense that since this "installation tax" is 1897, and that the AC power started to spread across Canada by 1890, this became more common, and common enough that the tax department decided "Hey, we can tax for that!", that this became in use. The AC installations were cheaper, but still expensive overall. And the DC systems were more akin to the early days of "Home PC's", built by enthusiasts and early adopters, it's less likely this was for a DC installation. I could be wrong, just applying some logic behind when the tax office would get interested, and that seems more likely as it "mass spread" across the country.
  • Of course you are right. I thought DC was the norm until about 1910, so I just had my time frame wrong.
  • Da, ochen' kruto.
  • Greg, try to be a little more careful. Half your images are upside down.
  • I did turn them over once....same problem. I think it is my scanner setup. Some wacky stuff though huh?
  • I see the problem in the 2nd image... BENTELY hair. It's confusing the scanner when it detects it.
  • Well shitola! That's what I get for furminating him in the office. That stuff flies everywhere.
  • Or is that Greg's hair?
  • OOOHHH maybe it is. I need to check! Won't take long to inventory. Give me a minute!!!
  • It's WAY too long to be Greg's... :open_mouth:
  • I'm back. Whew! They are all still there. Some apparently have inverted though and have started growing down through my skull and out my chin. The Great Follicular Inversion of '23 I think it will be called by generations to come.
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    You never know what you will find trolling through the cheaps - of colurse to sell it you need to find two other collectors who care 0 always problematic. But for now I'll keep it.

ATLANTIS 4

The backstory is interesting -

https://www.cinderellastampsforum.com/atlantis_topic1351.html

• edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Wow. I am just all smiles at that. Cool story and a really neat find. I do wish we knew more about Capt. Mott.
  • Very interesting.
    I love his applesauce, the national dish of Atlantis.
  • Hey, it's another year shot to heck, let's get back to work. This week I got in a batch of French corner date blocks. It was a very fortunate auction purchase. Here are the two printings of the Stanislas Place design, Scott 574 and 575.
    20230106_133908
    20230106_133850
    And the two issues for Abbey St. Wandrille. Scott 623 and 649.20230106_133508
    20230106_133820
  • Beauties!!!! Very nice Cappy!
  • edited January 2023 1 LikesVote Down
    Greg, the detail in the engraving on these is just nuts. It is really a shame that we cannot do it today, and that the presentation is so outmoded, so old fashioned. No one wants it today.

I was able to pick this batch of 14 blocks up for about $6, with postage. The Maury CV is north of €300. I almost feel guilty...
  • You are a bad, bad man!!!! LOL! You know I have always loved those engraved stamps of that era. The ultimate tedium of just preparing the plates blows my tiny mind.
  • Working through some nice DDR stuff this evening. Don't focus on the stamps....ok focus on them if you want to but notice the custom anodized tongs. NICE! Go check my friend Michael's store out. Nice items to be found there.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/cddstamps

20230112_223253
  • Those are slick! Nice idea.
  • and ........free with every order over USD $25 ( stamp ordered value) for the next hour ............. ooops typo.. 72 hours :-) https://www.hipstamp.com/store/cddstamps these are the best.. I promise you ..... :-) Michael cddstamps

• The poster stamps are prolific, but couldn't locate a posting of the card which is odd because there must have been hundreds of them mailed from the various checkpoints. Did most stay in Australia?

X

Y