Using glassine or plastic stamp containers? Opinion.

I have been purchasing plastic stamp containers from Hobby Lobby instead of the standard glassine. Are there any concerns I need to know about or be aware of (moister, glue sticking to the plastic, etc.?). Thanks?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure I use the same thing, but I use plastic sleeves that baseball cards are usually put in. I have no problem at all with these. The stamps don't stick and doesn't seem to affect the stamps. They are a lot cheaper than glassines. Would recommend then to anyone. I keep nearly all my stock in them now.
  • Thanks Wayne for your comment. Yes, the glassine can get expensive but its the cost of postage that I find high. I purchase the plastics for $3.00 (100 ct.) no shipping needed. Read somewhere that using plastic containers was bad because the stamp paper needs to “breath!”
  • edited January 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    I believe, not 100% sure that if moisture gets in it, the gum will have a smooth shinny surface
  • I forgot to mention that I use "acid-free and lignin-free" cards for inserts, therefore, the stamp glue is not resting on the plastic.
  • Wayne,

But if moisture gets in the will stick to the card.
  • This depends on the material you're using.
    If you're talking modern stamps with the state of gum (where modern is ~1940ish forward), then there is less an issue. With older stamps (Pre-1940ish) The gum compounds are quite different, and more susceptible to variation of humidity. Now, the gum won't typically stick to the plastic backing in clear sleeves (from thin to thick), BUT, gum can become disturbed if the humidity loosens the gum to the point that the gum "sweats". This can create a very slick, shiny appearance from across the entire gum to just some patches.
    Glassines are intended to be a moisture barrier, but the nature of the fact that they have a non-adhesive flap attached, means that humidity can eventually creep in. They are better for long term storage from that perspective, but they are not a guaranteed solution where humidity levels can be high, even for short periods (a few hours).
    Even things like "Safe brand" dealer cards (and I love them), can still result in a stamp's gum changing state if it's in the wrong environment.
    Some of the methods mentioned are fine, and while it may not be a happy day to find a damaged stamp, if you're talking items in the below $5 range, it's usually at worst an "oops" moment. Given the availability of more of the same stock, it's not hard to replace. So there is no fool-proof answer. You have to consider the material, how long it will be in the "holder", and what kind of environment(s) it will be exposed to during it's life in that particular packaging.
  • Thanks Scott and others for your suggestion(s) - I appreciate it. Any takes on using baseball card container boxes (fits #2 glassines nicely?)
  • If the box fits... wear it?

• I just bite the bullet and use Scotts mounts. I prefer the black background ones because I am a bit finicky about perforations etc showing.
  • I have used both clear and black background Scott mounts - and I favor the black. I feel the pricing can get out of sight especially if you need to mount an odd sized stamp.
  • Yeah I have a few outsized mounts that I retain and hopefully will remember I have them for the future when I get something with salvage or what have you. Using these mounts has made me a bit of a snob. I rarely make offers on anything hinged anymore. It's been a bit of curve to learn that what MLH means to some is quite different to me. I wish more folks would post images of the back of LH Light Hinge stamps.