Scanners and their software

I have been using a Canon MF628C Printer and ThumbsPlus software to develop my images for HipStamp. Scanning and subsequent entry via Excel. I use Bulklist to build my items. This process seem to me to be rather slow. Is this a normal process? I would be interested in comments as my process is the only process I have used. For me to put up 100 items takes me approximatly 5 or 6 hours. What would it take timewise for you to put up 100 items? Any thoughts as to how I might reduce the time?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 5 - 6 hours for 100 items is actually quite good...
    I haven't looked at your store, but does that include front and back images?
  • So I had a look now. Tom, first let me say, you have beautiful scans, very nicely displayed, with just the right amount of dark border. You don't do back images for most of your stuff because they are all modern, and in fairness, I get that.
    I did see one plate block FW that you have listed, that does have a back scan and demonstrates the gum condition of that block (nice work).
    You have a beautiful store, and if only there were more like it.
    Two small bits of feedback:
    1. The exclamation points in all (that I saw) of your listings for me, has the opposite effect of what I think you're looking for. You're trying to bring excitement to the title, but I would say, this doesn't work. It even annoyed me after a while, especially on listings that are really common. I would suggest drop the ! (it will save you time too. :)) as it doesn't add anything to your listing, and is potentially even detrimental.

2. Your listing titles and follow on descriptions are a bit thin. For modern stamps that you are listing, I get it, the country, the Scott #, not much else, because you're trying to get 100 listings up in 5 or 6 hours. This *might not* be good for you in the long run, especially on your more high value (I noted a 153 in your US listings) where you just say something like "Note the red cancel". Your listing title is "US sct 153 used!". While your photos do show otherwise, the title still gives the buyer very little of interest, and a more robust title would likely serve you better. Something like "US Scott #153 VG Used - Winfield with Red NYFM Cancel -1870" gives the buyer something of interest to go and look at.
    The red cancel actually adds $15 to the premium of the stamp. There is no back scan of this stamp, so we can't tell if it has faults or not. But a more detailed descriptions (and a back scan) could easily be the difference between it selling and not. On that note, one other small thing. You've listed the stamp at $140, which would seem reasonable against a CV of $210. However, the CV is based on a VF centered stamp without faults. The CV for a VG stamp in the Scott Specialized is $60. So you currently have this stamp overpriced in relation to Scott by more than double. I would suggest if you listed this stamp at closer to $50 with it's red cancel, you'd likely have it sell reasonably fast. (The 153 is a bit of a hard sell on the best of days, though for me, it's in my top 5 favorite US stamps of all time).

I hope this is helpful. A little beyond the scope of what you asked, but I would suggest, more time spent on listing titles and descriptions, and more back scans for items that are "classic" (pre-1940) would potentially give your store a bump. While your "listing speed" may go down, if your sales go up, wouldn't that be a good thing?
  • Thank you Scott. I only the front. I do the back if it a pricy item or if they request it. I appreciate the comments and the time you spent. I also appreciate your comments on #153. US classics or the more pricy items have never been my stronger point. I have learned from your comments and I value your thoughts and suggestions.. I will follow your advice on this item and adjust my process accordingly. A sincere thank you. Tom
  • Without knowing what you are including in those 5 hours, it's hard to say, exactly. Just to check myself (and I have a pretty smooth workflow, I think), I just listed 35 in 2 1/2 hours. That started with identifying the catalog numbers, noting the descriptions, years, and cv's. Then I scanned them and cropped each set. (If listing singles I will use the PMGS StampFix app to auto crop a scanned page into individual images, but with sets it is a pain in the neck, because the program always wants to separate the set into individual images. I would have easily shaved 40 minutes off my time if these listings had all been single stamps.)
    After editing the images, I fill in my Excel upload file, including descriptions, year, and a topic for each one (or the great majority, anyway).
    Finally, I research market prices and fill in my Excel sheet, checking first against my current listings, then my closed listings (if I know I might have sold some of the same previously), then I check site-wide listings.

So, as Scott said, your 5 or 6 hours isn't bad, especially if you are including the extra details that many sellers don't bother to include. Unfortunately, this is a labor-intensive business, which is why, as Scott has also mentioned in the past, you need to sell only higher cost items, if you intend to make this your livelihood.

• edited January 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    Question, Tom. When you scan do you perform multi-cropping on the preview image before making the keeper scan? I had a Canon in the past, and when you made your preview scan, you could then put as many as 10 crop boxes on the image. Then, when you pressed scan, it would scan each individual cropped segment consecutively. That is also quite a timesaver. Once I got used to setting the crop boundaries quickly and precisely, I didn't have to open the scanned images in an editor and do any further editing.
  • edited January 2023 0 LikesVote Down
    Has anyone here tried Scanspeeder? I'm currently using a Canon MF8580C scanner printer with Presto Page Manager software, which I like many aspect of but it does not do batch scanning of multiple items into individual scans and then there is its frequent crashing. So I've been looking for a new program and Scanspeeder seems like it could save a bit of time with its batch scanning and auto straightening (skew correction) features.

Seems like I kill a lot of time correcting for a small skew in a scan.
  • PMGS StampFix, a free program from germanstamps.net is just what the doctor ordered. It separates a scanned page l of stamps into individual images and deskews them, all in one step.
  • Thanks Ted, nice program, I downloaded to use on existing scans. It doesn't seem to include scanning so I'll probably still give the Scanspeeder a try unless I hear of some egregious trait.

OP Tom, I didn't see these batch scan separation and deskew features when I looked at ThumbsPlus. Does it do those? If not, having them could help shave some time off your work process.
  • Thank Ted, Todd, and Scott for sharing your process etc.
    What do I include on my listing? I keep it pretty basic. Country, Scott #, MNH, MH, Used, any Faults, or strong points that might need mention, scan, and price. I have debated about Scott value but have not included it for some time. Based on what I have learned from this post, I need to include it. The software I use is ThumbsPlus for scanning and my Canon MF628C. I don't have to do anything to the scan itself. I may scan multiple sets, or singles. The software allows me to select the set or single item and then save the scan itself using the scan number and a number between 01 and the last number of the items for that specific scan. The scanning is a very quick process. I can do 100 items in less than 1 hour. The time to enter the Excel data is to me, the time consuming process. What I have learned is my scanning process is simple and quick. I need to add Scott catalog value, and it would be wise to add some meaningful data about the item itself. Most of my sales are modern stamps or sets. I was trying to get a feel to see how I stacked up on the time I spent entering data. Based on what I have heard, I am in the same ball park. Thanks again for the time you spent and I am walking away more knowledge than I had before.
  • Sorry I forgot something. I am not familiar with multi cropping. So I can yes or no. to the question from Todd.
  • One more point. I am 81 and technology and I are not well acquainted as we used to be. I developed software using a product called FoxPro which was bought by Microsoft in the early 1990's. Sad to say I have forgotten a good deal of it.
  • Tom....I'm just shy of 75, and know quite well of which you speak. I am just using my iPhone and cropping capability of my MacBook Pro. Fairly easy.
  • Tom, I may not be using the correct terminology. Below is what I was talking about. It sounds like your software does something similar. This ScanSpeed (free trial version). It automatically detects the picture and places the crop boxes around the individual items scanned and then when Extract Photos is selected on the right it creates individual photos and deskews them so they ready to save as individual files. Anyway, I fully understand about technology. I remember being able code in DOS in the early 80s, but can barely operate my devices these days.
    Multscan
  • For anyone Googling this, it is actually ScanSpeeder
    ScanSpeed brings up many results for other products called ScanSpeed, and you won't find this one.

https://scanspeeder.com/
  • Hi Todd I use 102 cards, or Star Sheets, or Vario sheets to hold my items for scanning. So they are already lined up for the scan. If I use 102 cards, so be it. I can use up to 8 cards per single scan. If I am using Star sheets I may have multiple items so after the scan I select the partiular item and select that item using the software. Then the item scan is saved for entering with Excel. Generaly the item has already been positioned for saving. Occasionally, I need to fine tune the positioning to square the item . So any adjustments I need to make happen before the scan is sone. The software I use, ThumbsPlus, does no positioning at all.Thus far, I have been very happy with the results.