Junk Dealers will hurt Hipstamp

124»

Comments

• Thanks - I love roaming through junque. At the last show I found a couple of oversize envelopes with the old brush precancels on the low value banknote issues. Love oddball stuff. A few years back I bought a couple of boxes of revenue docs that were fun to go through - reds, greens, etc (See pix).. I guess I am more of a junque dealer than a stamp dealer.

• Sock it to them Carol, I agree with you. I would write more But I don't type well.
  • As I mentioned before some of us are actually trying to put food on the table and not showing off by listing hundreds and thousands of this stuff that drives potential customers away.

Steve - ser1851
  • In the US319 link you posted there is a lot, and I mean A LOT, of seemingly unneeded items shown. I was going to type on behalf of the postmark collector, but, well, even the postmark collector doesn't need 450 of the same squiggly flag cancel to choose from. I can see where you are coming from, but I still have to say there is a market for every stamp.

I personally am less likely to be driven away by the cheap stuff than I am by a $50 SCV reprint priced at $800. (not directed at you)
    ---------

I'd like to see easy access filters, say on the left of the screen along with the price range filter. A checkbox or drop down for condition/grade would be helpful.
    In the mean time, there ARE filters in place to narrow down search results, only not obvious to the casual browser.
    For example
    US 319 used vf returns a very manageable 16 items.
    US 319 mint xf shows the best of the best (subject to grading opinions of course :wink: )

• John Coles, what sort of an idiot would put up items like that, maybe we should educate the unaware, it could be that the seller is unaware of quality and format.
    Who Knows.
    sam931
  • edited March 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    Education is a good point, I agree with that.

Well, there are cranky people in every community and that is so here as well, it is to be expected. Don't think too badly of yourself if you are one of those people .But it wouldn't hurt to try to phrase things a little less unkindly. Some people may get turned off by the sharp edge of this conversation.

I guess I am one of the idiots you're referring to. I really don't care what anybody here thinks about me, along this line. If you've looked at my store and the listings, you may well have decided it's not worth your time. I don't care about that either. Takes all kinds....

Generally I do not say what grade I think a stamp is, or more importantly what grade would be necessary to get the stamp on a search result. I believe in honesty and admit I'm not an expert. I say this because I see listings that are obviously graded well above what they should be, obviously even to me. I can think of one instance where every stamp in a person's store is VF, no EF, Superb, Gem, or F.... That's a specialty store, wouldn't you think, everything VF? I wonder how much effort does this person put into their grading?? I do know there are stores here that one of their major selling points is the quality of their stamps and they all are quality. Probably about as much as I do. But it really doesn't matter for cheap stuff. Not worth the effort to specify all that for a nickel stamp.

When I started out buying stamps, I bought about 20 stamps with straight edges before I was told that a straight edge is pretty much a death sentence. I thought, here's a stamp with at least one of the edges perfect, and there are less of those than ones that have no straight edges. What an idiot!!

But that's ok to me too. I always look at the picture of the stamp and the price before I buy. I pretty much ignore whatever grade the seller says, because I am an idiot and much of the time disagree what the seller says it is.

I do tend to shy away from straight edges now, I admit!
  • Ah, cut your face one too many times, James?
  • edited March 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    That and my fingers, but mostly my tongue. Fortunately not my wrists, at least so far. At some point I started using tongs and now I have carpel tongs syndrome...
  • Oh my goodness ... I just might have to steal your new ailment, CTS. Love it!
  • edited March 2017 2 LikesVote Down
    I deleted my comment. I would have deleted the response, but couldn't figure out how to do it.
    My guess is very few sellers have a listed inventory of more than 6475.
    Listing pollution.
  • Some people in this thread have commented that they are here to sell stamps in order to pay bills and put "food on the table" for their family. If that were truly the case, wouldn't it be a more judicious use of time to be listing items to sell rather than rummaging around other sellers' stores and spending time here commenting about what was found in those other sellers' stores? Calling attention to other sellers (free advertising for them) just results in people looking at the other sellers' stores, not yours.
  • @Paul "My guess is very few sellers have a listed inventory of more than 6475"

There are only about 15% of the 673 stores that have 5,000 or more listings
    Michael -- The subject of derision here is 6475 copies of the same stamp in one seller's store.
  • Michael G. said: " I would have deleted the response, but couldn't figure out how to do it."

If you catch it within 45 minutes of posting your message, you can delete it . . after that I think you are out of luck.
    So, Michael, how did you go about deleting your comment? I can't seem to find where you do this. I've done some searches and waded through as many as I can, within a reasonable time (reasonable for me, I know that is a relative word). I can edit, change it to W or something I guess, or type a totally new comment.
    Jimmy Hamburger -- There is a little gear icon at the right side of your name block/header in each message you post.

If you click on that -- and maybe you already know this -- you can edit or delete your message within one hour of posting it.
    Using the gear, I can edit and change it to something like "W", but I can't delete the comment entirely so that it no longer appears. Having a comment that just says W, makes me feel, well, like a you-know-what.
    I did click the wrong icon in my previous message and gave myself a Like!
  • It's okay, Jimmy, we like you too!
  • Dave, I get the same thing as Jimmy. I have a 60 minute window where I can only edit my message. If I delete all the text and submit it, I get an error message that says text is required.
  • Hello everyone, especially Charlie Hass long time no hear from you hope you are well.
    My first reaction is what? who would add those horrible things into there album (rhetorical question). Then I thought hey, you have two blocks that are just as defective as those in your personal collection. So, if they fit into what you collect and you can't get a better example (in my case a better example just doesn't exist) then add them. But turn the page fast when you are showing your collection to someone. Unless of course you have that Inverted Jenny that went through the vacuum machine (hoover), then you can stop and tell the story.
    Harry Patsalos Philatelics
  • No reason to pick on Paul because others are jealous of his top spot. He has a 200k+ listing lead on everyone. I have come to the conclusion the more the merrier as a collector will buy what they think as good material. I had the pleasure to peruse his store the other day and buy several nice stamps.
  • Same here, Andrew. I'm just glad I wasn't browsing his USA section by country/catalog # :smiley:
  • Though, even the coil line-pairs I browsed all had multiple listings, which I appreciated, as I could find just what I wanted in centering and line/perf alignment.
  • Andre said: "No reason to pick on Paul because others are jealous of his top spot"

That's exactly why I like how the store rankings work. If a seller wants to rise up in the ranks, the seller has to continuously work at adding new material to the store. A seller just "breaking even" or not doing anything will sink. As for what is in a seller's store, that's up to the seller, and the buyers (marketplace) will determine whether the items are worth buying.

Weren't the same comments made about Poppe Stamps? They were at the top too. Too much time by some complaining, and not working on their own stuff. Fine by me. I'll catch up with some of them, and knock them down a notch. I guess they won't like what I have in my store when I do that, and I don't care.
  • Junk Dealers, all I can say is one persons trash is another persons treasure
This discussion has been closed.