What is a HipValue?

edited December 2016 in Chatter 6 LikesVote Down
For those of you who may have come across our new HipValues feature - HipValues are an exciting new feature we've been working on, which we are currently testing the launch of - so in certain cases may be available to select members.

We'll be providing more details and an official roll out of this new feature soon. At a high level, a HipValue represents the average current online selling price of a specific Country / Issue Number, in a specific condition (Mint, Unused, Used), etc. in a specific format (Single, Pair, Block, Sheet, etc.)

HipValues are intended to compliment Catalog Values - by helping you to review what similar stamps are actually selling for online. You can even click through any HipValue to view the Sales Data behind our calculations - in which you can review the full sales details, including description, price, and in most cases - images for sales from over a decade on HipStamp and bidStart. In particular, the historical data behind bidStart was an important part of our acquisition.

Originally envisioned as an additional benefit for our Premium Store Subscription holders (which is $45/month) to help with pricing their items, our early testing found a strong value for buyers as well. Since buyers do not need a Premium Store Subscription, we've also developed a stand-alone HipValues Subscription which starts at just $5/month.

Each element of the HipValues feature is entirely new to both HipStamp - or any other Marketplace, and does not affect any of our current features which members will of course continue to enjoy for free. We see HipValues as an important tool for philatelists moving forward, and plan to improve our valuation algorithms, and add additional features to HipValues on an ongoing basis. It's some truly exciting stuff!

Even for non HipValue subscription holders, we plan to offer the feature as a preview in certain categories, events, etc. which we'll be changing on an ongoing basis. Note if you're a Premium Store Subscription holder, we'll be providing you with additional information on how you can activate this feature at no additional cost shortly.

In general, here's a quick overview of how the feature works. With HipValues enabled, within search results, you'll see the HipValue, as well as an estimate of how many items have previously sold with us for the specific Country / Issue number, in the specific Condition and Format, (note we do not have HipValues available for every item) ie:

Image 37

Keep in mind that HipValues are not Catalog Values. While not a direct average, they are intended to show the average online selling price for a specific Country / Catalog Number, in a specific (Gum) Condition, and Format. So better than average examples should sell for more, and worse than average examples should sell for less. Once you review a HipValue, you can take it a step further and review a large sample of the sales data behind the HipValue, where you can review over 10 years of items sold online, ie:

https://www.hipstamp.com/browse/hip-values/?price[from]=0.75&reference_id=10530967&item_specifics_04_condition=used&item_specifics_05_stamp_format=single&volume_name=Norway&issue_number=38

Comments

• 112 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Paying for SOLD item data seems to be a good way to chase away customers.
  • Okay Paul, I give up. What are you talking about.
  • LOL John,

I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Great new feature, Mark! Near the end of yesterday's Penny Auction, I saw the little 'HipValue' bar over a few stamps I was bidding on, and thought, "What's this? How have I never noticed this before?"

Now I know it has just been rolled out! Very cool!
  • Yes Very Cool Mark
  • Well it was nice to see a stamp I had sold used as the illustration - would have been nicer of I had been told about it beforehand
  • edited December 2016 0 LikesVote Down
    Hi Dennis - The way in which HipValues work is that once you have a HipValues subscription (which is enabled on my account) you can see the HipValue for every item you review in Search Results where applicable. I used your item above as an example (in this post) since I was reviewing auction items - and that one just happened to be about to close at the time.
  • Excellent idea, but I am speaking as a seller right now. I will, have to look at this from a buyer's viewpoint soon.
  • Simple...it shows what the average market price on Hip is going for...gee have been doing that for years..check out the highs and the lows and then price your item---I LIKE IT!!******
    We'll be putting out a newsletter tomorrow with detailed information on HipValues. However, in the interim you can review HipValues in action in our current preview we're offering to all members this week within the Canada category: https://www.hipstamp.com/category/canada
  • I really like this feature - it's sort of an easy way to do 'comparison shopping'. A nice quick way to feel you can snag a bargain!

But I bet some sellers won't like it - your preview page of Canada showed that 18 out of 35 items were priced higher than the HipValue (one at over 300% of the HipValue!!) and that would maybe deter me from even looking at those items!
  • Thanks for the feedback Dave! We'll be looking closely at all of the feedback we receive over the coming weeks with regards to HipValues.

One important item we want to stress is that a HipValue is not a Catalog Value - it's intended to represent the average, current, online selling price for a specific Country / Catalog Number - in a specific (gum) condition and format. So by it's very nature, at the very least half of all items should be priced higher than the HipValue - particularly for those in better than average condition / centering, etc.

We'll be working on the wording and messaging around this as we move forward as well. That being said, HipValues also started out as a feature we were developing for Premium Stores, in particular to help price their items.
  • Dave, I'm not sure this would deter anyone from looking at higher priced listings (at least, not any more so than one does now). When you sort search results by Price Low to High, you can just as easily see who the overpriced dealers are, and can ignore the overpriced listings. I doubt the dealer who is listing his stuff at more than triple the average selling price is selling very many stamps anyway.

Where I see the value in HipValue is that it factors in the prices of closed items which we are unable to check ourselves. Some stamps may have only 1 or 2 active listings, which makes it difficult to gauge the values. If I see a listing for an exceptionally well-centered stamp and there is only one other listing to which to compare it, I won't necessarily be able to determine if the listed price is a good value. However, if the HipValue shows a sample size of 20, and that exceptional stamp I want is even a bit above the HipValue, I will not hesitate to purchase it.

• So the HipValue is the price point where half the prices are higher, not necessarily the average price?
  • @Paul - I think the price point is the average, not the median. It just worked out that the example given had an average close to the mid-point.

@Mark - can you clarify for me what "Closed" on a listing means? I saw some that listed the number of bids (which means it was an auction item), and some don't list number of bids. Are these "Buy It Now" items that sold, or does it include auction items with no bids?

Thanks for this option. I really like it. I know that there are going to be instances where the comparison isn't perfect (for example, there was one Canadian listing with plate blocks where the sold items included multiple blocks), but as more and more sales take place, those disconnects will become less relevant.

Rob
  • The HipValue is intended to represent the "average", current, online selling price of a specific Country / Catalog Number, in a specific condition / format. That being said, it's not a straight average or median - as we have a custom algorithm we've built to best capture the intention.

Newer items are weighted more heavily, samples which appear significantly outside a specific deviation are ignored, etc.

With regards to my earlier comment, I was simply highlighting that in general you would see about half the items priced higher, since it is based upon an average of items with different centerings, etc. With particular regard to Store Items, these also tend to be priced higher than an auction or offer would be.

Yes, auctions, offers and store items are all included. Any listing not currently available for sale is closed. With regards to bidStart items - we did not import bid histories, so those items won't show detailed bid histories even if they were auctions.

• "Any listing not currently available for sale is closed."

Just to clarify, does that mean auction items that ended with no bids are included in the population used to determine the HipValue? I understand that the algorithm may reduce the importance of these instances, but I'd still be curious to hear your logic for including them. My first instinct is that any auction item that went bidless is an indication that either (1) it was priced too high, or (2) there wasn't a bidder interested in that item at that point in time.

Thanks for your transparency with this. It helps me understand how much credibility to put in the number.

Rob
    Only items which have actually been sold are included when calculating the HipValue.
  • I am in Australia, Scott numbers and Cat. value means nothing here, it's all Stanley Gibbons.
    Reality is if a Cat. value of Stanley Gibbons is 1-00 English pound, then for an item in the exact same quality, on any web site(globaly), retail or Auction house, MAXIMUM buy, bid is HALF Stanley Gibbons. I stress again MAXIMUM.
    That's it for Australia anyway
    Sam
  • So without being nasty or an asrsxxxole there is so much world wide that I really don't think the HipValue is any value at all to users of HipStamp. One buys an item, then wants to auction or sell, one wants Xamount and HipValue says it sells here for half xamount, well your not going to list it are you.
    Mark, I really think your on the wrong track here. you need direct reference to current Scott up to date cataloge value for your buyers and sellers to reference, just my thoughts.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Status International[Australia](https://www.statusint.com/index.php) Sale No. 329 has just finished. Item 1739 is 1956 Ascension Queen Elizabeth II Pictorial set 1/2d to 10/- Very Fine Mint, Stanley Gibbons 57-69 Cat. 140 English Pounds(13 Stamps).

(8 Dec. 2016) 140 english pounds equals 177US Dollars, in Australian Dollars it is 236-40.
    I won the Auction at Status International(https://www.statusint.com/index.php) Sale No. 329 at 40 Australian Dollars

• I respectfully disagree. I think it would be quite helpful to me in my buying of MNH sets and higher value used items.
  • As soon as some collectors and dealers see a "value" assigned to a stamp the first question they ask is what discount can I get from that value. It appears that Hipvalue will be based on actual sales so it will have a better reflection of the actual market than a Scott or SG value for example. Those that will start asking for a discount from the Hipvalue are probably going to be too cheap to pay the $5 per month for Hipvalue.
  • Maybe a better term to use would be HipTrend, to emphasize the point that this is the prevailing market price, rather than an inflated catalogue value.

Smauel, I think your example ("One buys an item, then wants to auction or sell, one wants Xamount and HipValue says it sells here for half xamount, well your not going to list it are you.") is precisely why it would be of value. If you are buying stamps for the purpose of reselling here, then knowing the prevailing price trend here will help you in your purchase decisions for your sales stock.
  • Mark I like the concept of HipValue, but in reality it is not very accurate and thus providing a potential buyer bad information. Many erroneous stamps are included in the calculation because they are not being filtered properly. Fortunately the details are provided, so one can make their own calculation. An example of this problem follows.

Currently a fine unused GB 58 with a CV of $125.00 is being auctioned with a staring bid of $12.00 and a HipValue of only $2.75 based upon 9 sales. When you look at the sale details, only 2 unused GB 58's were actually sold (both without gum) for an average price of $4.75. A used GB 58, four Morocco 58 and one Turkey 58 were also included for
    a total of 8 sales.

Without studying the details, a buyer might quickly conclude the $12.00 opening price is way out of line based upon the HipValue of $2.75 and fail to bid. However, if this stamp has gum, the opening price in my opinion is more than fair.

Therefore at this time I would suggest only providing HipValue to guide sellers in pricing and not as an aid for buyers until more accurate information can be provided.
  • I am really pleased that people are thinking and adding their thoughts to this forum thread.
    Sam
  • Ted, I understand what you are saying 100%
    QUOTE- Samuel, I think your example ("One buys an item, then wants to auction or sell, one wants Xamount and HipValue says it sells here for half xamount, well your not going to list it are you.") is precisely why it would be of value. If you are buying stamps for the purpose of reselling here, then knowing the prevailing price trend here will help you in your purchase decisions for your sales stock - ENDQUOTE
    Thing is in the above quote "price trending here", I like HipStamp, I am establishing a Store here. I hope it works and all is good. I am 60yrs young, still have a dedicated site elswhere.
    There are 2 options here on HipStamp, establish a store or auction(or both).
    I just don't understand WHY anybody or software from this site should tell a customer the item you are looking for sold recently for 0.20cents(whatever), and I have it for sale at 1-00dollar, so AM I A RIPPOFF?
  • Well, Samuel, I would wonder why does this guy think his is worth $1 if the HipValue is 20 cents and I would take a look at his item including any details he has added that are not in the title. And may very well see why and buy his. Of course, then again, I may conclude Ripoff. But there is also the possibility that the seller feels "I must get at least this much or I will not sell it". Which may mean he NEVER sells it.
  • Hi Wayne, I understand where you are coming from,
    BUT below is the crux of it, down to the earth thing.
    The item may well be worth $1,but someone has sold the exact item for 20 cents.
    So HipValue has it at 20cents, The seller doesn't want the item so lets it go for 20 cents .
    It's a $1 value item, HipValue says it's 20cents, because thas'ts what it sold for on HipStamp
    So what does the seller do, either in the store or at auction, the item being well worth , a bargin at $1, HipValue says 20cents.
    HIPVALUE needs to be deleted, it's being set up so buyers can get low cost items through a database search, and that's the bottom line. We will become the dirt bottom feeder of items for sale, check Ebay first, then see see if HipStamp has the same item. Hipvalue will encourage us to list items low.
    Fuck that
  • I don't mean to ramble on, but that's exactly what I am doing, rambling on.
    Collecting stamps is a passion, and that passion can be in any direction. As collectors and sellers, to unload items to fuel our latest passion through direct sale or auction(our own-HipStamp), megabucks will not materialize, EVER.
    My passion for the last few years is Bi-Colour, a thematic or topical.
    SO HERE GOES with this thread, I let items go for bugger all because I no longer want them, therefore HipValue is NO indication of value.
    1955=BCbicolout 001
  • Once again, HipValue is only meant as an indicator of sales trends on HipStamp.