What is a good book for definitions of Philatelic terms?

Terms like "Sewing Machine Cancel" Or naming the various Fancy Cancels?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure about a book but there are many good websites if you search around

Including this one
    http://www.linns.com/insights/glossary-of-philatelic-terms.html
  • Hi Bob, You may want to check the websites of dealers who specialize in Philatelic Literature. Two come to mind.. Phil Bansner & Len Hartman. I have purchased from both gentleman. I am going to make a second suggestion.. From time to time, view auction catalogs & sales lists of larger companies/dealers in Postal History. They will use detailed terms with illustrations of (for example) Fancy Cancels.. This also gives you a $$ value guideline. You can learn a lot.. its time well spent. If your interests & dealings go beyond just the U.S. many Study Groups publish a list of Philatelic Terms in English with their own language.. The Bi-Lingual German-English Dictionary is a great tool. These are sold as fund raisers for the Society. Good Wishes from the Desert.. Dan
  • Hi Bob,
    Try this book
    Fundamentals of Philately by L.N. Williams, Published by the APS. This should have almost everything you need. But Maybe not the names of Fancy Cancels.
  • edited April 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    Bob ---------- I can't help you with your search for a good reference book on Philatelic Terminology . . . but I actually happen to know something about 'Sewing Machine Cancels'!

I am a collector of Icelandic stamps, and am aware that in the early 1920s the government would run certain high-value stamps through a sewing machine, puncturing them with a line of tiny pin-prick holes, so that the stamps could be re-purposed and used as Revenue Stamps!

The scarcity of actual revenue stamps in Government stocks at the time actually led to the Government purchasing their own sewing machine strictly for puncturing postage stamps that were then used on all kinds of documents to show that the proper taxes had been paid!

These stamps - when they are off-document - can be hard to detect, as the holes have long-since nearly closed up. Most typically sell in the $30 - $50 range.

Here's an example - courtesy of Jay Smith's website. The tiny holes are best seen from the back of the stamp.

sc0084_straight-line-sine-wave--AKUREYRI-cxl--ave_155241_r_m
  • Bob,
    Have you looked at a:Linn's World Stamp Almanac?
    Sorry, I've never used a sewing machine....
  • Thanks guys. Both are good suggestions.
  • Wow, even more good suggestions. Thanks everyone!