Givaways

Are we as store owners allowed to offer giveaways. I know we used to on Bidstart and I think it is a great marketing tool.dog3

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes - that's currently planned. We actually already have most of the work done, so it shouldn't be too far off.
  • That is great to hear. Thanks for the quick response Mark.
  • Vincent, if you're giving things away - I'll take the dog. What a cutie!
  • I won't give away my dog but I'd be willing to loan you my kids for awhile.LOL
  • I started this discussion almost a year ago and it now seems that people are entering items in the giveaway section. Could anyone please tell me where I can find out how to enter my product. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
  • We're currently testing this feature with a few select Sellers, and plan to release this feature to all Sellers within the next few weeks.
  • Looking at the current giveaways, I have difficulty believing that the worthless Hungarian stamps pictured, plus the additional "200 random worldwide" stamps (not pictured) are worth anywhere close to the $30.00 that the seller-sponsor claims.
  • Not sure how Generali, a competing Giveaway seller figured out that the offer from MRSELLEN - Ellen's Stamps was not worth anywhere close to the $30. the seller-sponsor claims. Would he not have to see what was in the 200 stamps that were not photographed to determine a real value? In her ad she states "Were not experts - we just love stamps", thus I would think she could leave a few sleepers in the packet. The Giveaway sounds like a great idea but I would hate to see competing dealers running down other peoples offers when they see fit without any back up facts.
  • For those interested in creating their own Giveaways, we're currently testing this feature for general release. From the Members Area > Selling > Seller Tools > Promotions / Sales, you will see a new button at the top "Create a Giveaway"

Feel free to test the feature out, and provide your feedback here.
  • Mark, looks great to me and have added a giveaway for July/August for a very fine used set of the Australia 1935 Silver Jubilee issue.

I like that it can also be promoted on social media.
  • Hi, could you guys please let me know how you determine the suggested retail price of your stamp or collection for the giveaways? Thanks.
  • It should essentially be the amount you would (reasonably) list the item for sale in your store. ie: Your Retail price
  • edited July 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    John, I did not say that I figured out anything. I said that I had a hard time believing that what was being offered was worth anywhere close to the posted retail price for the prize. A seller not showing what the rest of the prize is also makes me suspect that the 200 stamps are just common minimum-value stuff just like what was in the picture. Also, take a look at the Hungarian stamps in the picture. Many are damaged and are worthless.

Packet material is not worth the sum catalog value of all the stamps in the packet. If the 200 stamps were all minimum catalog value stamps, then perhaps $5.00 or less would be the more correct retail value of that giveaway. The seller hid the other items, and that doesn't make sense either, because you want as many people as possible to enter your giveaway so that they also take a look at your store by enticing them to enter your giveaway by showing nice stamps, not a bunch of common worthless stuff. So why hide the bulk of the prize? I doubt there were any sleepers in that packet.

I believe that my suspicions were not unique as the actual number of entries for that giveaway were very low considering the number of entries that other giveaways receive.
  • Thanks Mark.
  • Michael Generali: Up until recently I haven't spent much time looking at the Forum. When I did start looking at it at first I almost thought you were working for Hip Stamps. Though we haven't always agreed I have grown to admire how you usually stick to the subject and have something to say on the subject. Too many of these are cluttered up with guys not sticking to subject and as a novice I have done this myself but generally based on someone else drifting elsewhere in the debate. You are obviously trying to get respect for stamp collecting as a hobby and to make Hip Stamps a better place for
    buyers and sellers and HS. I do think that in this item you should have stayed out of it. Just my o
  • Sorry must have pressed wrong button on above. It ended "and to make Hip Stamps a better place for buyers and sellers and HS. Just my opinion!
  • I believe this feature on Bidstart would take you to the Sponsor's store when you entered their give away. Here on HS it looks like when you enter the giveaway, the confirmation screen just shows you a couple other items from this seller. Would it be too hard to have it take you to the sponsor's store so that you could see all of their other items for sale?

Joe
  • Mark and Justin, I love this feature and I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. What a great marketing tool for all of us! Thanks again
  • Joe: "this feature on Bidstart would take you to the Sponsor's store when you entered their give away. Would it be too hard to have it take you to the sponsor's store ..."

I second that.

Ted
  • If you're willing to enter someone's giveaway is it really that hard to push the store link to enter their store? It's my opinion that it you are automatically entered into the store it's just as easy to leave without browsing. I wish you would be thankful for all Mark and the crew has done for us. For awhile we were in limbo trying to find a decent platform for our products. I can't help wonder what any of the other sites would charge us just to have this option. For what it is worth, I have nothing but love for everyone at HipStamp! They have busted their butts for us and improve every day. If you check the fees you pay for other sites I don't see how you could feel anything but greatful. Mark could have left and never looked back.
  • edited August 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    Is it possible to show all the giveaways on one page instead just 4? I just noticed the View All button. Didn't know there were 5 offers. I would hesitate to participate in donating if people couldn't see my offer hidden on another page.

Before pressing button...
    hsGiveaway

After pressing the button...
    hsGiveaway1

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Each time the giveaway page is viewed, a random selection of 4 items are shown, the same way in which each time an item listing is viewed, a random selection of 4 listings are shown - along with a view all button.
  • All 6 show on my phone.
  • edited August 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    I see all 6. When I go to one giveaway to enter, I then click on "Giveaways" in the link string to the upper left of each giveaway. That gets me back to the screen that shows all the giveaways.
  • I believe Robert is referring to the Penny Black Giveaway page, which at the bottom displays 4 random other giveaways currently active: https://www.hipstamp.com/giveaways/win/great-britain-1840-penny-black-sc-plate-5/24

The Giveaways page itself, ie: when you click on View All or Giveaways in the footer, will display up to 48 items per page.
  • Yes, that's where I was looking. I didn't even notice a Giveaways link at the bottom. I'll go to that from now on.
  • If it's free they will find it.....