Low value listings

Hi,I am quite new here but been selling since 2000 on ebay & my local site.Question is how many of you look at or buy items for less than 25c as my lowest price is $4 & I have jist looked at 1 area (Australasia & Pacific) & nearly 20% of listings are 25c or less.The site cannot be making any money from these listings & they are a major pain when surfing through them.The other stamp sites are the same & really it turns buyers off.Any thoughts on this.

Comments

• 66 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Inexpensive stamps are in most instances more difficult to find than their more expensive compatriots. Need a Zeppelin issue? Expensive, but can be found almost anywhere. Need a 2-cent stamp to fill an album page hole? Not so easy, since in the past, it wouldn't be worth a dealer's time to vend one. That's the beauty of this site...all the cheaper stuff can be found here. Further, speaking as a dealer, its rare for a buyer to just purchase a single 2-cent stamp. Buyers will purchase a pile of stamps all at once, in some reported instances, taking up several printed pages of invoices in one order. That's how the dealers and this site make their coin.
  • edited September 2017 5 LikesVote Down
    Low prices turn buyers off???? Excuse me??? I have purchased many stamps on here that are low priced. I cannot afford minimum prices of $4 per stamp. I guarantee i would not be buying anything from your store at those prices! I know you'd never make a living on the stamps I purchase, but I enjoy my hobby and because of Hipstamp and the sellers on here willing to sell at "low" prices I can afford to purchase many stamps and build my collections. I personally rant and rave about Hipstamp all the time because of this. Which I guarantee is driving buyers (or at least shoppers) to this site and the stores on here.
  • Reply to John.I live in New Zealand,postage NZ$2.70 for overseas that is why a $4 minimum.but I see your point for local buyers,I am not a dealer but do try hard to give buyers who do not have deep pockets a fair price 10-15% of cv normally.
  • If you have to charge a $4 minimum on the price of the stamp, then you don't have your shipping set up correctly. You should not price your stamps to make up for losses in shipping fees. You should set up your shipping fees to cover your expenses for that function.
  • reply to Michael,I do not sell 1 stamp for $4 unless it has a cv of $25+,I sell sets,small collections etc.Also collectors buying the cheap stamps I have seen are paying cv or more for them,most are only worth 1-2c.My local buyers are extremely satisfied with what they get,I do not sell "junk"
  • Michael - you could improve visibility by listing the SG numbers in your title so they will show up in search. To find your 1948 Belgium monuments set I had to search for "Belgium monuments" - they do not show up when I search by SG number....
    You have a nice stock and the few prices I checked were more than reasonable but unless someone is within your store it is doubtful they will be able to find what they are looking for through the customary search function. Not a criticism, just trying to be helpful.
  • Reply to Carol,Thanks for a reply that was constructive.The store items were put on before I had worked everything out & I have mostly listed Auction items so they are not in the store as I think that is fixed price only.Keep an eye on the store as I think the Belgium lot is overpriced by $10 (nasty hinge remnant) & I usually use Stampworld for valuation so have to dig out my SG catalogues for the c number.Regards Mike
  • It would save a possible return if you mentioned the "nasty hinge remnant" rather than describing it a MH. You can see what others are charging by either typing in the SG number or "Belgium monument" into the search box at the top of the webpage. Depending on how bad the hinge remnant is you might even consider showing a pix of the back of the stamps in addition to the front.
  • michael j park: "hey are a major pain when surfing through [low priced listings]."

You can ease the pain considerably by using the price filter on the left side of the screen. Simply put in the minimum stamp price you want to see listed, and all the low-priced "noise" will be filtered out.

Ted
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/tatyszka-stamps
  • edited September 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    Michael J Park: I somewhat agree with you and I feel that it is difficult to know what to do for the best. There are huge quantities of 25c or less listings on this site. I can't make any money selling them (as an overseas seller) so I don't offer them. So my reward for not doing so is very few sales - American sellers probably do well as they can offer cheap or free postage with these low value stamps? My sales on ebay are brisk and increasing but I can't seem to make it happen here?
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/stampsfirst-day-covers-and-curios
  • reply to Tania,you are right I'm in New Zealand so selling low priced stuff is out.I find even sales on ebay have gone down but the other 2 sites (ebid & delcampe) are worse than Hip,I have had 80 lots on ebid for 3 weeks with nothing.I will just keep plodding along as its a hobby for me .Luckily my local site (trademe) is doing ok.
  • I even tried offering a £8-£10 1913 GB SG413a "SEAHORSES" stamp for auction with a starting price of 50p on hipstamp to try and generate some interest in my listings.............and what happened?.................... a clever UK bidder won it for 50p!
  • Tania,

I am not sure if you are aware of it but on both the brown and red seahorses there are multiple copies of all of the different issues,they have come up in both the site's penny auctions and some of the sellers auctions often enough that the bidders can just wait till the next one comes up in auction. (I listed one red one and one of the brown brown ones and got the same results. I don't remember which issues off the top of my head as it's been about 6 months since I ran them)

As a general rule of thumb if an item is listed in auction too many times the prices will end up being depressed in the long run. Even though the cat values on these are fairly decent,they are also somewhat common. (On most of these there are close to 100 on the less common issue and well over 200 on the more common issues for sale both in auction and BIN)
  • I concur with Michael. With many many stamps, the supply/demand equation is skewed heavily to the supply side, rendering catalog values even less relevant than usual.
  • I see the discussion topic here is definitely on the seller side rather than the buyer side. Perhaps I shouldn't even comment. But, as in everything else when one is in business it's about the bottom line, the profit margin. So competition drives the price down. I think that's called capitalism. Trying to get people to remove their listings because they are too low and drive prices down is just trying to manipulate prices to keep them inflated. Sorry, but I for one am happy that there are many low priced stamps on here. I purchase stamps here primarily because I can afford them. I will often pay shipping from international locations for stamps that are probably worth less than the shipping costs. But I want the stamps and consider it a cost of doing business on my end. Personally, I think trying to keep stamp prices artificially inflated so dealers can make more money is the prime reason stamp collecting has fallen out of favor in many places. For me, it's a hobby, not a massive monetary investment. Sorry guys, but bravo to all those sellers who are helping us hobbyists have fun without breaking the bank!
  • @michaeljpark. Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying.

I wonder how many "Michael's" we have here? We may have to change the name of the site to "TheMichaelsHipStamps"!
  • Or change the Forums name to "Open Mike" ;-)
  • Michael G. I agree with the premise of "TheMichaelsHipStamps"

Michael A.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/michaels-covers
  • edited September 2017 4 LikesVote Down
    Lower valued stamps are what drive most of the sales and make the hobby fun. It's not a secret that the more you post the more you will sell around here at reasonable prices but that requires some work...
  • edited September 2017 2 LikesVote Down
    Thanks Andrew! I've heard some sellers opine that it's too much trouble to post pictures of low price stamps, so they have lots of listings with no image. As far as I'm concerned as a buyer...I won't even consider a stamp I can't see. My thoughts are usually so what's wrong with the stamp that they don't want to show its condition? Once I was interested in a set of stamps in a store here and asked to see the stamp. The seller was kind enough to scan the image and I bought it. The sellers I've dealt with on here have all been really polite, helpful, and professional. I've done repeat business with several. In a business that is essentially a hobby environment I believe customer service is where it's is ALL at! No service, no sales. That's no hard to understand. I said it before, because of the service I've received on here from sellers willing to service my needs I talk about Hipstamp stores on the stamp collecting Facebook groups I'm in all the time! I'm constantly recommending Hipstamp to newbie collectors. I think that has to be worth something too. Perhaps more than just the dollars they made from me directly.
  • "Or change the Forums name to "Open Mike" ;-)"

Or Mike and Mike and Mike and Mike and Mike In the Morning.
  • Well, I'm all Miked up over this!
  • Ok, will somebody please cut the mic feed already
  • LOL - I am glad so many like Low Ordinary Listings.
  • edited September 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    It has been clear to me for a long time that professional sellers using commercial or even their own private sites to sell one stamp at a time, are hard pressed to make any money selling the low cost stamps priced below US $0.15 ($0.25?). And while commercial sites have hundred of them cluttering the stores, it has to be a losing proposition.
    There are, in my view, few solutions. Sell them in groups, broken sets, partial sets or complete sets. Or alternatively set up a system where a buyer can go through a large number of them (in chronological order preferably), and one-click pick a stamp after another, filling a basket with large numbers at low cost.
    Faced with the same problem of too much clutter in the auctions, the on-line stamp club I belonged to (I will not mention the name here), developed a new approach to those pesky low cost stamps. It set up an Electronic Approval Books platform that focused precisely on it, and just did that. Surprise..it did not reduce the number of low cost stamps listed in Auctions (note..it does not offer stores, so that is the only other option)!
    But it opened up a totally new way of selling and buying large quantities of low cost stamps. Selling one or a handful will never work, so why not look at selling a lot! This is the only way to spread the cost of shipping!

I doubt that any commercial site intent on making a profit for themselves or their sellers can really compete at the low end of the price scale, and it is a real turn off to buyer to see a per additional charge tacked on. But collectors, beginner collectors in particular, or collectors expanding into a new arena, need a simple platform to either dispose of their duplicates, and to acquire those pesky lower cost stamps. It is not perfect solution, but it does an amazing job!.
    And it encourages collectors to get into new areas, without having to buy a whole new collection to get started. And expanding our hobby is badly needed!
  • " it has to be a losing proposition."
    But Jeff Bezos got uber-rich by not turning a profit. Why can't we?
  • How to become a millionaire in the stamp business.
    1. Start out with two million dollars.
  • I do take offense to the usage of "JUNK" stamps on this site. This is a phrase that has been used over and over. Just remember, what is JUNK to some is a treasure to another.

So IMHO, this is a super site and we all sell what we want to sell and we all feel we have treasures to sell. Please do not tell us we are selling JUNK, we aren't! That's YOUR opinion and please do not put the rest of us down because we do not have the same belief as you.

Off my soap box now

• Thanks, Professor Luree; I want to use your soap box, now, if you don't mind.

Gotta love people who feel the need to blame their lack of success on other (successful) dealers. And then to claim that the intent of the top-listed dealer is to shut the site down to eliminate the competition?????????? I can't even fathom the reasoning behind this absurd statement.

I read the initial post on this thread over 3 hours ago; I downloaded a report of all of my sales dating back almost 10 years, analysed it to determine which were my best-selling countries, what were the sales percentiles of stamps of particular price ranges, etc; and my intent was, as Michael Generali did, to give you a well reasoned, thoughtful, response to your questions, and to help out a newcomer to our community.

I come back to this thread, now, to post some friendly advice, and I find that you have now joined the bitches-gripes-and-complaints squad in bad-mouthing the site and placing the blame for all of your (upcoming) lack of success, on this platform and its dealers.

If you don't think the HipStamp platform suits your needs, that's no cause for you to come onto the boards and start bloviating about silly plots to shut down the site and how the cards are stacked against non-North American sellers. Just find yourself a site more suitable for you. Try Apfelbaum. They're looking for consignments, and I'm sure you'll get every dear penny you're asking for your material.

Off Luree's soap box now.

Next!
  • edited September 2017 5 LikesVote Down
    Well said, Ted!!

"bloviating" :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: