GUM ON GREENLAND STAMPS

Can anyone tell me if the more recent stamps of Greenland have a dry gum like those of Sweden and if so is there any way of telling if the stamp does have it?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The answer is yes, but I wouldn't say that Greenland has recently started doing this. Dry gum has been used on stamps from Greenland for almost 40 years.

How can you tell? The stamp will be stiffer because of the gum, than a used stamp. The stamp will appear fresher than a stamp that has been soaked. The back of the stamp will be very white from the gum compared to a dull white from the plain paper of a used stamp. If you have a stamp with selvage, you can remove the selvage and wet it to feel the gum tackiness. I would not, however, rub your finger across the back, wet the back of the stamp slightly, etc., as that will damage the back of the stamp, and you'll no longer have a MNH stamp.

I have not tried it, but perhaps the gum will floures (sp?) under a UV light.
  • Michael,

Thank you for the information. I thought Greenland used that type of gum but was not 100% positive.
  • Mark: Should this thread not go under the new Tips thread you created? John