Auctions, and then there are auctions....

Well, how many internet auctions do we see where the reserve is so high no one bids? Everyday and hundreds of lots with a zero bid. 6h remaining; you look and NO bids. This goes on daily, comments? I do not like the practice as I go chasing to see the bids, and there is the minimum bid of $200 on a $30-40 stamp.

Let us look at another peeve of mine. A "superb" (and GEM!) stamp has a certificate. Yet look, it simply says the stamp is genuine but does not address the appearance which often enough looks XF to me.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You ask for comments - I feel that your statement "the reserve is so high no one bids" is not the only reason for NO bids - A buyer may look and say boy I have to bid on that bargain but then never get around to bidding. Most of the time when I list interesting items on Hip Stamps I may put them on Auction at first and if they don't sell I may or may not offer them at Auction once again at the same or slightly lower price. After trying them for as long as I like on Auction (Cost 3c a listing) I may put them into store at the same but usually a higher price or sell them elsewhere. Usually they will eventually sell in the store though the price is higher than the original opening Auction price. This last Sunday I had at least a dozen items offered on Hip auction and two of these sold. I don't think that the lots that didn't sell were overpriced and I think at that time I raised the prices on the ones that didn't sell, put them in store and do expect them to sell in short order. Selling stamps is not an exact science but sellers can get rid of all their stamps if they give them away. John

• Well, you did not address the point of my comment, and that is unreasonable reserves. An eager buyer sees a nice stamp and, again and again, discovers an unrealistic reserve. Of course the seller has the right to do this, yet as a buyer, I certainly can complain.

John Talman, you do your auction stamps this way? And, also, what is the point of consistently setting reserves too high? Way, way too high?
  • You were asking for comments and I just wanted to point out that many lots don't sell because they are "the reserve is so high nobody bids" there are other reasons. Of course like other bidders I would just ignore items with too high a reserve and like everyone else I love a bargain which I am constantly on the look out for.