Has anyone noticed the major printing flaw on the new blue Air Mail forever stamp?

Major inking fault in 3rd row, 3rd and 4th stamps. I bought several sheets and they all have this flaw. Anyone else notice?
IMG 10_0011

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have one pane and it does not have this flaw. So it must have happened for only a short time and is not consistent with this issue.

I see that the third stamp in fourth row also has a small issue with the inking under the "N" and "I" of UNITED STATES. On that stamp it extends all the way down to include the airplane wing.
  • I didn't notice this before, but all 6 sheets have the same flaw in the same position, and in addition I just noticed that the same stamp has and additional flaw to the left of the left scroll.
  • Nice info. Cost per sheet?
  • I have several sheets of both the blue and brown/red stamps. Seems to be a lot of inconsistency between the stamps on the sheets. May be something that is similar to sheets from the same plate position. Bottom of the left hand scroll varies on the horizontal lines. Many stamps the line stops at the top of that bottom scroll. Some stamps have lines to the right of it, but not the left. Some have lines filling those voids to the bottom of the scroll.

A quick look at the dots used to shade the sky above the plane and below the top banner also vary across a sheet, but don't match across the same stamp location in my sheets. Several stamps per sheet, those dots continue up into the white area at the bottom of the banner, others have no shading that runs into the banner area.

Can't tell from your picture above, but these stamps have a raised surface, giving the stamps a texture. Are the white areas mis-inked, or has the printing equipment scuffed the surface of the stamps and remove the print?

Interesting finds. Have to see how they are handled as variations, errors, etc.
  • Yes, this stamp is with raised printing, giving the illusion that it's engraved. On my sheets, only the ink is missing; no scrapes.

Minor printing flaws on US commemoratives are common and usually occur randomly. These sheets are different in that there are major printing faults in the same position on all sheets.
  • It's either a ploy to get you to buy more of these, or cutting corners in production, or both. I bought a block of 4 and they just disappeared, totally disintegrated, no trace left!
  • You mean the USPS intentionally manufactured printing errors? I don't think so. That the quality control broke down somewhere along the line is much more plausible.
  • Mysteriously, the blues aren't available anymore on the USPS site. Glad I bought that block of 4 of and chose blue as opposed to red. Now if only I can find it.
  • Actually, JimmyHamburger, if you want to buy 96 of them in one fell swoop, they are still available! :smiley:

https://store.usps.com/store/product/stamp-collectors/united-states-air-mail-blue-press-sheet-with-die-cuts-S_477706

477706-Z0
  • Cheapskate as I am, probably not. I also see that I entirely missed the O Beautiful stamps except for the press sheet, I have a good excuse for that one, undergoing serious turmoil. I am now settled in my new place in spite of the loan company and real estate agents. I promise it won't happen again - anytime in the next month or so anyway! Where I am now, I won't mind living out the rest of my life here.
  • Yes, interesting. The blue Air Mail collectables show up as well as the 6-pane press sheet. But the individual sheets or blocks of the blue stamps are no where to be found. Went back to my purchase history and entered the SKU for the blue stamps - 477704 - and it is not found. A glitch at the site and we're all way too suspicious? Or something else going on? Anyone know of a counter worker that the blues have been recalled? As if they'd say anything.
  • I just checked the USPS site, and the blue AIR MAIL anniversary issue is no longer available in sheet format. Sold out? I don't think so. So why are they not available for purchase? My Post Offices has an ample supply, so I think they're not hard to get at face.
  • Maybe somebody at the fulfillment center reads the forums here and thought he'd or she'd get in on the action!
  • usps ebay store seems to have plenty

John
  • For chuckles, I emailed the USPS stamp store about the lack of the Blue Air Mail stamp on the website.

Response: "Thank you for contacting us about ordering stamps. The item#477904 Air mail blue ,is no longer on the postal store website you can use the other resources to order.
    You have four options for ordering stamps: "

They proceeded to list 1) Local stamps by mail. 2) Their USA Philatelic Catalog. 3) Stamps by Phone. And 4) using their USPS Stamp Store - but not for the Blue stamps of course. Some weird quirk story that may someday be told.

As has been mentioned in this thread, there are also places outside of USPS where the Blues are available for sale by the 100's. Currently no lack of availability.

Just an FYI...

Had no reason to expect an explanation, and none was given.
  • The ones with printing irregularities will likely fall into the freak category.
  • I would buy the 100 but i am really clumsy with my hands and therefore wouldn't want to break it into panes or blocks. I think I may buy it anyway and get somebody who knows what they are doing. I can always use them to mail things.