›

United States # R135, Internal Revenue 2 Cent, Used

so I got a bunch of these in various shades & condition was wondering if the color shift from the shirt out of the bottom frame was common and the value difference from one that's within frame! It's the United States # R135, Internal Revenue 2 Cent, Used! Got many other Revenues of this style wonder if there is any other surprises waiting to be searched! Also value wise dose it have a difference if it was hole canceled rather then ink canceled or pencil canceled? Trying to get a ball park range difference here!
Wonder if this is any close holes canceled 0.05-0.25 each
Holes with canceled 0.05-0.25 each canceled with ink or pencil 0.05-0.25 each then MNH $1-$5? Do these ball park ranges sound accurate to the current market rates?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited December 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I just looked and noticed the color shift also happens on the 2 cent 5 cent 10 cent 25 cent and 50 cent blues of these Revenues! Interesting¿ looks like a sorta pattern happening here with the black shirt color shift out of the frame from the R135 Orange with the black shirt shifting out of frame to the Blue set style with the same thing happening gonna try and find all these shifts!
  • edited December 2021 6 LikesVote Down
    Brett! Stop using exclamation points! Buy a darned catalog!
  • Brett,
    This is a common occurrence on all early (and even some modern) stamps. It's caused by the stamp being sent through the press twice, once for each color. Officially this isn't "Color shift", this is more alignment (or misalignment) to the vignette.

Some issues have big followings on these kinds of drift. (Like the C3 which has "Fast plane", "Slow Plane", and "Grounded Plane" varieties. The 704 has some interesting drift in the red cross. If you look at the pictorials (118, 119, 120) this also occurs a lot.

On these revenues, I've not seen premiums for vignette shift. I don't think you'll find much interest (particularly in the R135, which was a workhorse 2nd revenue issue), from collectors that will warrant a premium. Even the revenue inverts don't command the kind of premium that postal usage inverts do. Realize the collector market for this. If philatelics interest occurs in 1% of the population, and a small portion of those people are into back of book, and an even smaller number will collect revenue, and even fewer will seek out revenue EFOs.