What's the significance of "dry print"?

As the title states, what impact might "dry print" have on the pricing for an issue?

Thanks,
HT

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on the country, the Scott number, etc just like any other print varieties. We need a bit more information to answer your question.
  • Hi HT, are you looking at back of book US?
    Some issues are listed as wet or dry printings. And some have CV variations. I think you have the Scott Specialized catalog, where there is a variation for the various printing types in terms of value, it will be listed.
  • I was looking at a 346 Centerline Block of 4 and in the description was:
    "346, Mint NH 4¢ XF Center Line Block Very Scarce! Description: Faults / Imperfections: A bit of dry print."
    And the color was progressively darker / deeper, moving from left to right...like more ink was applied moving to the right side of the block.
  • Don't know about the "bit of dry print" thing but I looked at the listing your are considering and my first thought was...for $175 asking price, at minimum, I better damn well see an image of the back. Especially if it is described as MNH. Just my 2c.
  • I don't see any such listing, but "Dry printing" in these issues isn't a "thing". It sounds more like from your description that part of the block was covered by something, while the rest was exposed to light over time.

In the "best case" it would be better described as "under inked" as opposed to "dry printing".
    But I can't see it so if anyone has a link, please provide.
  • Yeah, underinked. To call it a "bit of a dry print" is obviously a confusing choice of words. I wouldn't mind having it (love those imperfs) but I wouldn't pay a premium and like Greg, let's see the back.
  • Having seen this now, I would call this plate slightly undrinked.
    In fairness though Stuart Katz is a credible dealer. His "scarce" comment is about the centerline block, and not about the inking.
  • Maybe this is what you are referring to. Some of the Canadian king issues used both wet printing and dry printing in the production process. The wet printing resulted in a 1/2mm shrinkage. The Unitrade catalog goes over this quite nicely. I suppose value between wet and dry depends on how many were produced of each type. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks to all :)