South Africa 23 - varieties?

Hi all -
I'm looking for information regarding South Africa 23 - springbok. (it might be #33 or later). There seem to be 2 very different designs of these, one with a background of lines, the other with a background of "bars". Upon close inspection, the "bars" are in fact made up of rows of tiny digits. I can find no reference to these in Scott, and in fact Hipstamp listings for South Africa #23 show both varieties. Item 16393310 shows both side by side beautifully. Does anyone know what these "bar" varieties are? I have posted scans of each for comparison. "a" shows the lines and "b" shows the bars.

Thanks
999-028a
999-028b

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In looking at the Scott Classic Specialized listings, I see five varieties for this issue.

1926 issue (Scott 23a). Perforations 14.5 x 14.0. Typo. Dark green and black.
    1930 issue (Scott 33a). Perforations 15 x 14. Photo. Blue green and black.
    1935 issue (Scott 45a). Perforations 15 x 14. Photo. Green and gray.
    1937 issue (Scott 46a). Perforations 15 x 14. Photo. Green and gray, redrawn.
    1943 issue (Scott 98a). Perforations 15 x 14. Photo. Myrtle green. This issue was a coil verison.

The following was noted in front of 33a: Leg of "R" in AFRICA or AFRIKA ends in a straight line in the photogravure set; it's curved line in the typographed.

The following was noted in front of 45a: Shading in leaves and ornaments strengthened; 40 lines in center background. Size: 18.5 x 22.5 mm.

The following was noted in front of 46a: Has 28 heavy horizontal shading lines in center background and similar thicker lines in frame. Top and bottom green bars are scored by a white horizontal line. Size: 18.5 x 22.5 mm.

No other comments that I could find in Scott.

Stanley Gibbons in their Commonwealth & British Empire Stamps of 1840-1970 catalog gives even less information than Scott. They do list an additional issue from 1947 in which the frame was printed in a screened rotogravure.

Depending upon the perforations, I would guess that your first stamp pictured is a copy of either 23a or 33a. Your second pictured stamp I would assume to be 46a.